Why do you like Guild Wars?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

GW a great game, meet loads of people and have a real good time leveling also, not that i condone it, but gold selling is an upside in this MMORPG
    Number 1 In Private Servers Here:
    www.runelocus.com

Project Maximum:
    0% l l l l l l l l l l 100%

Lockhartís are forever Reputation: 10

yeah,but after u finish the campagins,u will have nothing to do at all maybe farming,repetive pvp,AB,etc only,no main things i mean which will eventually get really boring,i thought first that ppl focus later on at the GVG and the ladders but too bad i didnt see any one interested in them (well correct me if i were wrong,and i hope i am )

In addition to what the others have said...I love GW because it IS instanced so you don't punks at a high level attacking newbs to get the easy kill. PVP really is setup so that it is fair. In order to be 1337 in gw pvp you actually have to be good...not just have the most time on your hands. Also, to be good at the game, pve as well as pvp, your power lies in the ability to put a good build together. Then, you also need to have synergy with the other builds on your team.....It is all alot more than just "he who spends more time on the game wins".....Love it!

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 12

i <3 GW. F2P and easy to play.

Great game.
    LoL IGN: Repulsivez

Its diversity in areas, combat is also good, The heap load of skills and stuff that you can really customise your character with,

=]

Another thing thats good is that you just buy the CD or game and then you can play it for as long as you want without monthly fees. More games should be like this.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

I played only 2 days and already addicted to it I really like how there's no skill points in the game, which makes it a really easy game since you don't have to worry about messing up your skills! Quests are self explanatory and you don't really have to farm for quest item...unlike Cabal where you have to kill like 98347543 monsters for a quest Graphic and BGM are really nice!!!

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by darktehnub View Post
    I played only 2 days and already addicted to it I really like how there's no skill points in the game, which makes it a really easy game since you don't have to worry about messing up your skills! Quests are self explanatory and you don't really have to farm for quest item...unlike Cabal where you have to kill like 98347543 monsters for a quest Graphic and BGM are really nice!!!
    Jeremy Soule made the music for all the games and will be doing the music for GW2 as well. Graphics aint bad i must agree.
    Well they believe in non-grind game which i must fairly agree. Its not much unless u go for titles and such or a specific item that you want either for use or selling.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Proph View Post
    Just like the title says, why do you like Guild Wars? I have Guild Wars Prophecies and Nightfall both. I was told by hundreds of people that this game was great. I myself couldn't get into it. The whole idea of there being no open world and everything being instanced is a big turn off, but definitely nothing to keep me from playing a game. You can't jump, again a big turn off, but certainly not something that will prevent someone from playing a game. I got my guy up to level 14 E/N. I did it all solo, for a game with millions of people playing it sure is hard to find a group. But anyway, I'm not trying to flame Guild Wars, I just want to know WHY people like it. I'm hoping that from reading the responses I'll learn some things I didn't know. Like for example, maybe the game only gets good after max level, that's the case sometimes I know. Or maybe someone can explain how there is PvP but yet there is no open world, that doesn't make sense. Do you fight in town or something? Anyway tell me why this game is good please, because I can't find the good in it. But I've played MMOS, hated them, then gave them 2nd, 3rd, or 4th chances, and ended up loving them. I already spent my money, I would like to get into this game if possible.
    Most of your complaints are results of the release of the later expansions. Your biggest problem is that your only lv 14. Guild wars revolves around being level 20, anything below that is really a tutorial (it can take anywhere from 1-20 somethign hours of play to hit lv 20). As for not finding groups, thats due to the addition of heros which in a large part has ruined the game. Henchmen were one thing, but they aren' a replacement for another player, heros are. As for why guild wars is good? Its the only hard MMO I've ever played. The amount of required grinding to make your character competitive at the top level in minimal, but it takes months and months of play to actually be good at the game. I've been playing for three years, and have every skill and item in the game unlocked, and yet I'm still considered a noob by many guilds.

Guild wars pvp is on the battle isles, and is by far the best part of the game. Thats not to say that endgame pve isn't fun and challenging, but the beauty of gw lies around its skill balance (which is slowly being ruined by bad updates). Most MMORPG's have a clear cut class hierarchy, or the better ones have a rock paper scissors set up. Fighting games are usually more balanced, the best having only 3-4 tiers. Guild wars doesn't fit either description. There are classes that are used, and those that aren't. I've been out of the meta for about a month, but in early january, all but four classes were being used in high end pvp, and all but two were routinely used as secondary professions. Even those two (dervish and paragon) were only slightly less useful than the other classes, their problem was that they didn't fit into the meta very well.

EDIT: You asked about PVP formats. Heres a breakdown:

Low level arenas (Ascalon city, yaks bend and others accessible before level 20): Theres rarely people at these, and the pvp is unbalanced and therefore useless. These are for RP characters only. I'd say not to even bother.

Random Arenas (RA): The First arena found in the battle isles. You must be level 20, and you enter by yourself. Battles are 4v4 and teams are random. Format is last man standing with a time limit. One map instead revolves around a kill count with reses (two minute time limit) Another has a full party res every two minutes untill the priest is killed. You recieve glad points every 5 wins. 10 wins transports your team to team arenas.

Team Arenas (TA): Like random arenas except that you form a four man team before entering. Much more competitive than random arenas due to guild teams and people actually practicing together. Again you earn glad points for ever 5 consequetive wins.

Hero Battles (HB, not to be confused with healers boon): Unlocked by having three heros, hitting 'H' and selecting "Go to hero Battles" This is the only 1v1 pvp in guild wars. Its unavailiable for players without Nightfall or GW:EN, and pointless for those without nightfall. Battles are on a first two 20 points basis, or the highest number of points at the 10 minute mark. Points are earned through kills or capping shrines. Shrines have different effects from giving you npc allies to increasing your movement and attack speed. Hero battles have automated tournaments, and are a great way of unlocking rare itmes for pvp characters. Even so, learning to fight in hero battles will do very little to teach you about other areas of guild wars (and similarily, learning about other areas teaches you very little about hero battles).

Alliance Battles (A: Something of a joke to serious pvp players, these are none the less alot of fun. Factions is required, and battles are 4+4+4 versus 4+4+4. The first team to 500 points wins. Points are earned through controlling shrines and killing players. Shrine effects are less extreme than in hero battles. There are 5 maps, and all but one of them gives and advantage to one side or another. Most of the players here are PVE players looking for a bit of pvp that won't require much expierence.

Heros Ascent (HA or HOH): This is one of the two areas where serious guilds compete. Heros ascent is an ongoing tournament format. When you see messages in game saying "So and so has taken the hall of heros" It is because that team has won in the final fight of heros ascent. The format is 8 man teams. Builds in general are very specific and specialized. For a new player, finding teams is almost impossible. You recieve fame for every fight you win (variable amounts for consequetive wins). Fame goes towards your Hero title. Without rank 3 hero (approx 125 fame) it is nearly impossible to find teams. I'm rank 1.

Guild Versus Guild (GVG): This is where its at. Guilds compete in daily and monthly tournaments to show their dominance. Unlike all other forms or pvp, maps are chosen by the players. Battles take place in your guild hall. The objective is to kill the enemy guild lord. At 28 minutes, a tie breaker occurs where agression is calcuated based on the damage dealt to the enemy guild lord, and the amount of protection applied to your own. The team with higher agression wins the match. I could right a whole article about this play style, but you don't want to hear it from me. If your interested, theres plenty of stuff on guildwarsguru.com (all in the forums, the main webstie is kinda useless) [/end edit]

IM me if you ever need help, I'm not really playing currently due to school, and Mayhem Intergalatic, along with trying to figure out how to use the Hammer Editor for the source engine. Even so I'd be happy to jump on and run a mission with ya.

EDIT #2: There was a comment above about graphics. Keep in mind that Guild Wars came out before World of Warcraft.
    Last edited by Kumlekar; 02-25-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    Guild Wars IGN's: (I have three accounts, so try all of these)
    Primary account: Kumlekar The Slayer/Indigo Sass
    Secondary Account: Life of Frost
    Tertiary account: Miss Poon

Phantasy Star Universe PC/PS2 Server
    Kumlekar

Dark Orbit West Coast Server: Kumlekar (VRU)
    Darkthrone IGN: Why would I tell you that? I hate being attacked.

Default WoW dumped...

I dumped WoW in favor of GW about a month ago. Free-to-play vs. pay-to-play, definitely choosing Guild Wars. Also, as for the level cap, it makes things more interesting. In GW, any lvl 20 character is as powerful, if not more powerful, than a WoW character at lvl 80.
    The story is better too. Politics in a mmorpg? Who ever heard of it? But the politics are decent and not too shabby. They actually FIT INTO THE GAME.

Cool Beacause

I have a lot of friends in RL that play this game, and the game is really fun.
    The storyline was spectacular, the graphics we nice man, game play was absolutely great, yeah yeah etc...
    Anyways its a good game and that's why i play it......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast