game like dofus-arena...

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Default game like dofus-arena...

hi,
    can i know what i should know in order to develop a game such as [dofus-arena]?

1. what i should learn in order to make game such as [dofus-arena] type?
    2. is it hard to make such game?
    3. program that i need?
    4. time? will it take a long time in order to do so? i know this kind of question is kinda hard to answer... just tell me ur opinion will do so... >.<

please help me out with those question...
    thanks i appreciate it
    and SORRY for the trouble

Staff Admin Reputation: 29

Hmm... PG said I shouldn't assist people but oh well.

1. Learn to Program
    2. Yes
    3. Any program you want to make the game in
    4. Hours, Days, Months, Years, A game like Dofus by your self... 3 years at least. Since you don't know programming, take about 2 years before that to learn the language. But if you try and go straight into making a game like Dofus, I say 3 months, and then you will be over whelmed and give up.

Any ways the reason is because first you have to be able to code well enough you can make efficient parts such as the engine. Next if you are by your self you have got to create the sprites, the motions, the emotes, the animation and so forth. Next you must be able to network correctly and well... I will let who ever actually knows this stuff really well explain.

I suggest you start with a language like C++, or Visual Basic and start with very basic things, Tic tac Toe, "hello world", and maybe in a month or so try Tetris and continue from there.

Moderator since Aug 2004. I am a guy.
    Email me at lothia@gmail.com
    FFXI Tsukisa: 60pld/30War (retired)
    The OnRPG War

ohh ok thanks ^^
    i will get myself into programming when i find myself some good books ^^
    anyone around here might feel like giving me a help on learning those programming language ?

thanks and sorry for the trouble

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

No problem Morning and I can give you a deeper response on what exactly was done in order to make Dofus/Dofus Arena.

1. In order to create the actual game/game engine (the software the makes the all the user input, graphics, sound, control, and over gaming world work and interact), you will have to learn a programming language. I would recommend a popular object oriented programming language like C++ (other examples are Java and C#). I wish there was an easier way but there isnít, not to make a great game that is original, unless you consider game makers/pre-made engines that involve simpler scripting like realm crafter. Now people do get irritated when they are told simply to learn a language, but there are not a lot of other options, although I can give you link to some good resources.

2. In order to make a game like dofus, well, letís just say the game is somewhat original in its design of some features. I would say in order to make even a simpler game engine, lower quality graphics/sounds, that isnít online is still difficult without the right skills and education. A game isnít exactly too hard to make if your goals in the development of the game are realistic. I mean to say you'd like to make a game similar to the quality and likeness of Dofus at this stage, is unrealistic but not a goal you canít set. The only problem is that these games take more than one person to do development them because the overall job of creating the game is too big and varied to be done by one person. These games look and play so well because there is a multiple amount of talented people on these "game development teams" for things like programming, game design, graphics, and sound. The biggest difference in difficulty for any multiplayer online game, never mind mmo, is that the game has to be programmed differently between both the client and server software.

3. Well... I canít exactly tell you every development tool used in the process of creating this game, but just know there is no ultimate program used. Real game developers donít not use "Game maker" software, which is something some people do not understand. The game is graphically designed using a flash animation/cel-shaded graphic style, and would probably require a macromedia flash license. Anyways I'm sure by now you are starting to get the picture, do not worry, hopefully the links I post for you will give you some direction and help you out on this subject.

4. Time... what Lothia said is pretty accurate, at least 3 years. Letís say you have the time, money, resources, and a large enough, skilled development team, it would probably take you anywhere form 2-5 years. Some mmo games can take more than 5 years to develop.

To continue with what Lothia suggested, I will post a link that provides the information and tutorials/guides needed to learn either C++ or Visual basic. I would recommend starting with C++ as itís a very popular and powerful language, if at first it is too difficult to start with you can try visual basic instead.

<<Click Here>> For Information/Help/Guides On C++ and/or Visual Basic - Keep scrolling down for the VB section

<<Click Here>> This is a guide dedicated to helping people decide whether game dev is right for them and how to get into it

Hope this helps,

-PB

pb_destiny, thanks for the info and links
    now i have more understanding about game dev i guess...
    there is one question i would like to ask but it is quite strange i guess ^^'' hope you guys don't mind

i was planning to take game dev, so can i know the cost for this game dev course roughly?

thx and sorry for trouble

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

Well sorry to say, but there is no real game dev course per say, there is a school for game development education in toronto. The question you have to ask yourself is, what are you strong points now, can you draw, do you play music, are you more of an creative/imaginer, or are you logical/problem solving. Simply put, are you strengths in math/sciece or art/english studies, usually the best suited programmers are stronger in math and have a background in a logical/problem solving situations, while the more creative students who enjoy art find something they enjoy the most. In order to start making games, like really making the game, you need to get into programming. You'll start small when you eventually learn the language by creating simple games, and than working your way up. I gave you those links so that hopefully, if you want to pursue one the languages, you can use the resources (links to informatin/tutorials).

Anyways, if you have more questions you can add me to msn or email me, my address is fast_traxx@hotmail.com

-PB
    Been A Member Since May of 2005

kk i will add you up in msn
    thx anyway

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I think Dofus was made in flash?? Atleast the art is because no other program can art like that. Good luck.