Is FFXI worth buying?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Default Is FFXI worth buying?

I really wanted this game when it first came out but I was too young to deal with the p2p. (I had no source of income and parents were unwilling to pay for a game monthly that they believed I would be bored of in a couple weeks/months...) Now I have a source of income and can pay for the charges. Im a hardcore Final Fantasy fan but I wont let that make me waste money.

1.) Ive read some of the posts here and so far it's been good but I'm not really convinced. If im going to get the game im getting EVERYTHING. (All the expansions in other words.) How many expansion packs are there? I know they came out with a package that comes with the game and I believe it was 2 expansions for only 20 dollars but I dont know if there are more. The one thing I dislike is the fact that I have to pay extra per character after the first one. (Dont plan on making to many anyway but still.) But money isnt the only issue (in fact it's the smallest.)

2.) I've heard about the community and that kind of relieved me with that but I was wondering if teamwork is really emphasized or if it was one of those "I could work as a team or I could just go on my own and get more exp/items/gil without it being that much more difficult" kinda things.

3.) Another thing is will it WORK with windows XP media center edition. (Not is it supported because I asked a representative and apparently theyre different.) I ussually dont have problems with games that dont support the operating system anyway but I want to be sure.

4.) I hear there is a lot of grinding in this game but I wanted to know if it was bearable. (Unlike WoW which i've played and once you hit the 30s you grind for hours only to get an unrewarding lvl up that makes you wonder why your even playing the game, hence, why I stopped playing WoW.) Like does it take forever to lvl once you hit midgame?(By that I mean a good devoted day or so to lvl. That would be bad.)

5.)How high is the lvl cap?

6.) Will this game work if I use a router? (If it doesnt work normally, is there anything I can do to make it work?)

7.) One last thing that is unrelated to the game. Please dont post flames, trolls or biased answers because that kind of stuff I ignore right away.

Ok sorry for the big post but I wanted to be sure. I know I'm asking a lot but I cant ask a representative about these things because i'm pretty sure they'll tell me whatever to get me to spend my money... I also value what other gamers think WAY over the official opinion. Anyway thanks to everyone who helps me out here.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Okay....

Q1) Ive read some of the posts here and so far it's been good but I'm not really convinced. If im going to get the game im getting EVERYTHING. (All the expansions in other words.) How many expansion packs are there? I know they came out with a package that comes with the game and I believe it was 2 expansions for only 20 dollars but I dont know if there are more. The one thing I dislike is the fact that I have to pay extra per character after the first one. (Dont plan on making to many anyway but still.) But money isnt the only issue (in fact it's the smallest.)
    A1) there is
    Final Fantasy XI:comes with Play Online and Tetra Master(Play Online is needed to play FF11 & Tetra Master)

Final Fantasy XI Rise of the Zilart:Unlocks Areas,Jobs and Abilitles

Final Fantasy XI Chains of Promathia:more areas new events new monsters $18.99

Final Fantasy XI Treasures of Aht Urhgan:new boss's a new mode new events
    (Square Cnix is still adding to it so yeah) $28 to $30

Final Fantasy XI: The VANA'DIEL Collection:im not surehow much but it comes with all iv herd.
    Q2) I've heard about the community and that kind of relieved me with that but I was wondering if teamwork is really emphasized or if it was one of those "I could work as a team or I could just go on my own and get more exp/items/gil without it being that much more difficult" kinda things.

A2)Yes,Team work is needed at lvl 10 or 11 to get to lvl 20 it is the fast'est way.

Q3) Another thing is will it WORK with windows XP media center edition. (Not is it supported because I asked a representative and apparently theyre different.) I ussually dont have problems with games that dont support the operating system anyway but I want to be sure.

A3)Yes it will that is what i use...

Q4) I hear there is a lot of grinding in this game but I wanted to know if it was bearable. (Unlike WoW which i've played and once you hit the 30s you grind for hours only to get an unrewarding lvl up that makes you wonder why your even playing the game, hence, why I stopped playing WoW.) Like does it take forever to lvl once you hit midgame?(By that I mean a good devoted day or so to lvl. That would be bad.)

A4)Yes you can get 1-3 lvls a day when you 1st start at lvl 1 you can get to lvl 5 in a day.

Q5)How high is the lvl cap?

A5) when you are 3 lvls apart the exp is crap.

Q6) Will this game work if I use a router? (If it doesnt work normally, is there anything I can do to make it work?)

A6) Yes.

Comment:Bahamut Server is the best one becase there are by far alot more of Plvls Free plvls,and im there ^^ if you want in Bahamut use a gold pass
    id give you one if you email me at Darkstarlightstar@hotmail.com

Banned Reputation: 10

actually you should buy FFXI.. you dont have to buy all the expansions seperately either just buy the final fantasy XI The Vana'Diel Collection for 20 dollars which comes with the original game, rise of zilart, and chains of promathia expansion then buy the new expansion treasures of aght urg or whatever for 30 dollars and it only adds up to 50.00 for the game which is about the same as any ps2 game these days. its worth buying the game but its got no pvp and you pretty much HAVE to party after lvl 10. ALSO buy the PS2 version because the game was actually meant for PS2 and if you want to fully enjoy it i suggest you get PS2 version.. the PS2 version has much better controls they go together perfectly but the PC version controls are really strange and dont go well together. oh and about gil sellers/buyers there are hardly any of them anymore because square really started crackin down on them. no they dont just take your stuff away if you are caught they take your stuff away and delete your account with no refunds lol

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Thanks to both of you it has been very helpful aaaand...i'm getting it monday...Have to return Guild Wars because it refuses to work with my router/operating system. dunno which one but...im getting my 65 dollars back, buying the Vana'Diel Collection, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, AND have enough money left over from that to pay the first month.

Banned Reputation: 10

awesome its really worth it. i liked FFXI its a really fun game and the community is really nice and always willing to help you out.

yea.i just got the game yesterday. it was a little hard to get used to, but once you start playing you will have lots of fun. i like it how you can ride chocobos, but i havent rode one because you need to get a certain pass and you need to be a certain level lol.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

I Buy The Van'Adiel Collection It Got The Expansions So You Dont Have To Update The Game Too Much Its Really Cool The Only Ba Things Is That If You Dont Pay For 2 Months They Delete Your Characters =/
    Why Im In This Useless Place When I Can Go To The Sky And Fly Like No One Ever Can

Banned Reputation: 101

yeah, i bought the game... but i still havnt played it... my dads credit card is maxed... but its was $32 canadian for the game and an expasion pack

Default Eeh

this game is okay but if u really want a good mmo get eq2 a played this game i dont like how u only get into a group when a healer shit suks so i stoped playing it and got a station acces pass-thats sony now i play EQ2

Aman Reputation: 193

I really wanted to try it when it just turned Gold. Unfortunately, people were selling it for like 100 bucks... stupid retailers... now its still freaking 60 bucks. You think it'll work if i download it? o_O

If you rescue me, I'll be your friend forever. -- Loric
    Last.fm
    Hey Raiyne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast