Help Me Find an MMORPG?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Help Me Find an MMORPG?

Hello everyone. I am looking for a good mmorpg like everyone else here but its difficult to wade through the mounds of them out there so I am interested in a community's opinion. Heres what I'm looking for in an mmorpg:

1. No Anime: I absolutely do not want an anime mmorpg. I don't like the art style nor the culture or gaming style associated with it. There is nothing wrong with it, but it's just not for everyone including me. Additionally, I'd prefer it wasn't cartoonish at all as the two more often than not end up being the same. If theres something really good that fits my other criteria that is cartoonish but not anime, I'd be willing to try it.

2. Open-ended Gameplay: I'm looking for something with a large world. It doesn't have to be massive in size, but what I am looking for is along the lines of the runescape, WoW, or Anarchy Online world types as opposed to the restricted style of Guild Wars which is more linear in its implementation.

3. Character Developement: I'm looking for something with decent character developement. Most importantly, I want classes. The more the merrier, but more importantly is the depth of each class and the unique qualities they offer. Leveling is good, but any development system I will try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4. The above points are the most important, but in case that doens't narrow the field enough I will elaborate a few more things that might help. I'd prefer a fantasy setting, though I am not opposed to Sci-Fi. I would like something difficult. Part of the reason I quit playing WoW or other knockoffs was because they were so easy and had no death penalty. Also, a good community is a plus. It's no fun to play a game where you rarely see anyone else in the game world. It doesn't have to have a massive community, but something reasonable and dedicated is nice (Anarchy Online's community is a good example, but bigger than I am necissarily looking for). PvP is at the lowest of my priorities. I much more prefer questing, dungeon crawling, and grinding. Also, the free aspect is a major plus, but I am not opposed to paying for an mmorpg if it is worthwhile.

I eagerly await you suggestions and thank anyone who takes the time to read my long winded post.

Thanks
    Last edited by cckcckcc; 01-27-2009 at 01:08 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 82

Uh, did you try Final Fantasy XI? The selling point is the meticulously detailed world, deep multi-class system, overwhelming involvement of story, and continual bombardment of updates.

The community is super nice, too. I remember giving my cousin (who is the biggest dick ever) his own trial account. He managed to rack up new gear and money from several different players within 10 minutes. Armor that wasn't even anywhere near his level as well. They're also very sociable. More times than none you'll find yourself in a Linkshell (equivalent to a Guild) if you prove that you aren't just a mule.

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 11
    Server: Caitsith
    ~Mains~

Stats: SAM 75/ THF 37
    Stats: THF 75/ NIN 37
    Stats: RNG 75/ SAM 37
    Stats: BLU 66/ NIN 33

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I have considered FF XI but since it does cost to play, is there any kind of trial out there available to interested people?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 82

Quote Originally Posted by cckcckcc View Post
    I have considered FF XI but since it does cost to play, is there any kind of trial out there available to interested people?
    Sure. There are 14 day trials for EU and US.

US:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/192215/190...Day-Free-Trial

EU:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/191959/190...-Free-EU-Trial

The learning curve may be a bit steep. Search for the tutorial NPC; he/she'll reward you for progressing through the tutorials.

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 11
    Server: Caitsith
    ~Mains~

Stats: SAM 75/ THF 37
    Stats: THF 75/ NIN 37
    Stats: RNG 75/ SAM 37
    Stats: BLU 66/ NIN 33