Thread: A Wilderness Survival MMO

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default A Wilderness Survival MMO

If people are not aware of the rather small genre, wilderness survival does *NOT* mean fighting off thousands of monsters.

Wilderness Survival involves Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, all of those things you did while camping.

It also involves Needs for your character, Heat, Water, Food, Sleep.

I have been looking around for a number of years and have yet to find even a small ammount of single player wilderness survival games of decent quality.. the only couple I Did manage to find were horribly crude VB single player games made by a dutch guy. The unanimated lions attacking me.. Ill never be the same..

If there are any wilderness survival projects or completed games anyone knows about, Please tell me.

what would be the pinnacle of the game.... survival

so what you gain some sort of ability by staying warm for the night. hunting, fishing thats one thing. But a game where the point is to be lost in a woods and survive. That doesnt sound like a fun game. Mix that in with a cabellas type layout and you have a chance.

But i dont see myself playing a game that says you recieved 200 points for clacking 2 stones to create fire or 200 points for snaring a rabbit with a tree.

i guess your just going to make a game where everyone is macgyver and can turn a stone, string and a piece of bubble gum into a f15

specially how would you make that into a mmo cause there are a 100 turnbase games like this already. how could you make that into a mmo especially something you expect people to play for at least a month

*update* 5 turnbased "wilderness survivals" i just looked into all end cause there is no point to make a endless cycle. the point in 3 being to be able to be seen by survival planes. i just dont see how you can make this into a game for more then a hour or 2s worth of play.
    Last edited by DJPROTOJ; 02-13-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Arri's Animal Reputation: 113

Quest: Find the perfect *** leaf for wiping your ***.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydude View Post
    Quest: Find the perfect *** leaf for wiping your ***.
    exactly...

im not trying to flame you id love to help in the development of a good wilderness survival if you can propose a catchy angle or a way to make it more then basically that.

Well, Crafting would be a major factor in it of course, The idea is tribal life, its not just freeze to death in the forest for no reason.

I had a whole bunch of stuff typed up a couple years ago about this, and I realize the -entire genre- doesnt appeal to "Power Gamers" who just want to get to the highest level and "pwn t3h n00bz" so that they can gloat in their little chairs behind a beta version flat screen they paid way too much for when it came out.

Woops, Im rambling.
    It would be a much more social and economic game with less action and more trading, but tribal raids would occur as well. Animal taming and Npc's your could get to join you if you raise their disposition enough, whether through gifts, fear, or just charismatics.

The entire idea is fairly complicated but If I can find those notes Ill type them up again into here to give a better idea of some of the systems.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 14

There is one already ...

Wurm online, it's pretty darn good

thats not wilderness survival at all if its tribal which one is it. we doing jungle villages, indian villages, 17th century, 1000 ad, 5th century. thats as far from wilderness survival as you can get. Thats like the polar opposite.

It's survival, yes, you need to take care about your thrist and hungry, yes you don't need to stay near the fire to warm yourself or spend a night in the shelter... but.. It's still the survival,
    building your own things is the other story, which you don't have to do.

How is that far away from wilderness survival? If you dont feel that it makes sense to group together to combine efforts and hence, have a better chance at Living in a hazardous place, then you really need to go backwoods camping, None of that "Oh Hey I can see the neighbouring campers tent" Crap. xP

And thank you Avager I will check that out

Edit: after reading your second post I have decided to not check it out ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Avager View Post
    There is one already ...

Wurm online, it's pretty darn good
    wow thats not wurm online. Learn your games kid.

i play wurm online and wurm online is not what hes saying.

Quote Originally Posted by NRN_R_Sumo1 View Post
    How is that far away from wilderness survival? If you dont feel that it makes sense to group together to combine efforts and hence, have a better chance at Living in a hazardous place, then you really need to go backwoods camping, None of that "Oh Hey I can see the neighbouring campers tent" Crap. xP

And thank you Avager I will check that out
    how is it wilderness survival key word survival if you have a town. With workers and people putting in there effort. wether be hunting fishing making goods, cooking, thats not wilderness survival at all. so were playing tribes then or civilization.

how do you go from the survival of one person to the survival of a tribe.

and if were talking survival of a tribe theres 100 games out there and no need for development cause its over played with that theme being in 5 franchises.

*UPDATE EDIT*

I KNOW A GR8 GAME FOR YOU ITS CALLED ARTIFACT. HAS SHELTER WARMTH KINDA DEAL INA TURN BASE GAME THAT YOU CAN ONLY PLAY FOR SO LONG A DAY BASED ON YOUR LEVEL AND THEN OTHERS GET TO DEMOLISH YOU WHILE U CANT PLAY AND YOU HAVE TO WATCH. THATS SURVIVAL.
    Last edited by DJPROTOJ; 02-13-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

Quote Originally Posted by DJPROTOJ View Post
    how is it wilderness survival key word survival if you have a town. With workers and people putting in there effort. wether be hunting fishing making goods, cooking, thats not wilderness survival at all. so were playing tribes then or civilization.

how do you go from the survival of one person to the survival of a tribe.

I will say this:

God fking dmnit....

You don't have to do that !
    gosh...

It's not true 1000000% solo survival game, because its impossible to create MMORPG wildrness survival game.. why ? People would still party up and help to rise their chances to survive, in example creating "a primitive tribe".

WURM can be a wildrness survival as well.
    You can easly be lost in the woods,
    You NEED to eat, eating apples or other crap found in the grass is not the best way to do that, but hey ! You can make a campfire, cook something and keep moving !
    You need to drink to kill your THRIST,
    You can be attacked by wild beasts everywhere.
    You travel through many wild areas, sometimes you will see player's towns...but hey.... you don't have to go there...

You are playing a game and you know shiat about it, cuz you follow the simpliest way.

+

About your edit,
    first link from the google = some RTS browser (or small client) based...

Who the **** said it was a one person survival? Its ****ing MMO so OBVIOUSLY you are going to get together, and build homes.

Nothing comes stock in the game but the map and over the course of time the game would develop on the server and even if the maps for the servers are all the same, the tribes wouldnt be in the same places.

Quote Originally Posted by Avager View Post
    I will say this:

God fking dmnit....

You don't have to do that !
    gosh...

It's not true 1000000% solo survival game, because its impossible to create MMORPG wildrness survival game.. why ? People would still party up and help to rise their chances to survive, in example creating "a primitive tribe".

WURM can be a wildrness survival as well.
    You can easly be lost in the woods,
    You NEED to eat, eating apples or other crap found in the grass is not the best way to do that, but hey ! You can make a campfire, cook something and keep moving !
    You need to drink to kill your THRIST,
    You can be attacked by wild beasts everywhere.
    You travel through many wild areas, sometimes you will see player's towns...but hey.... you don't have to go there...

You are playing a game and you know shiat about it, cuz you follow the simpliest way.
    FIRST im done with wurms if it was a wilderness survival they would call it that so quit being a noob and saying well you can make it be this if you squint your eyes real hard. It is what it is or else it wouldnt be that. Ok that argument is done.

now a bunch of dudes getting together to survive is called a sausage fest.

second that would not make them a primitive tribe. I dont know what school you studied in but a few people together camping doesnt make a tribe.

like the jesse james tribe a.k.a. the rustlers , billy kid tribe, the burrows tribe, cook tribe, soapy smith tribe, vasquez tribe.

see what im saying thats not a tribe dude.

you went from a logical idea to noobism in less then 10 minutes.

you want a tribes mmo basically. you still havent explained a way to make it into a mmo. so your saying its a undiscovered planet with no citys and everyone just has to survive and make tribes.

so its a fantasy wilderness survival and is not taking any real aspect so heat doesnt matter then. I mean if logic doesnt apply then neither does half of what a real person needs to survive.

but obviously due to people and space reality says that in the game you cant just let people designate any where to put a "tribe" with out there being some downfall or long term drawback or basically without needing a way to reset the whole map. So the mmo aspect is out the door. unluss you have more money then blizzard for servers then by all means shoot for illogical or depending on graphics low and crappy.

and you said you wanted all this logic with wilderness survival hunting fishing, camping, eating, warmth,

and if you have a tribe how are you fighting for any of that. if you have citys how are you surviving if you can go barter for your needs

2 people sticking together to fish together and share food and fire isnt a tribe and is to be expected. but then how is that surviving the wilderness if the trick is to just party with friends and dominate.

so basically you want a mmo sim city based in the wilderness and every person is a real person with a job. which is alot more logical then "PRIMITIVE TRIBES"

all you keep describing more and more with every post is tribes. with out the first person aspect. so write tribes and tell them to make a first person mode and make it a mmo

why would anyone play that mmo if the first person to play the game gets first dibs on where to put his "tribe" thats trying to survive the wilderness. and the guy who starts later has no place to put a tribe.

you want to make a game thats biast to when you started playing...
    thats a gr8 aspect to add. you get the plot of land right next to our landfill.

basically after the first 10 people no one would want to play.

it has no aspect of actual survival and its basically survival of the world not a person. so it might as well not even be a world and everyone who joins contributes to build 1 city and you might as well play wurms.

i think what your actually trying to say is that you want people to join and all contribute to build one city.

unless you can tell me a way to make a map that can fit a million people into making a "tribe" and never running out of space and keep the wilderness. An unlike everyother game of that type such as artifact, worldz, tera-form. Make it so once a designate time or size is reached the server doesnt need to be reset and another random world is generated.
    Last edited by DJPROTOJ; 02-13-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

FIRST im done with wurms if it was a wilderness survival they would call it that so quit being a noob and saying well you can make it be this if you squint your eyes real hard. It is what it is or else it wouldnt be that. Ok that argument is done.

now a bunch of dudes getting together to survive is called a sausage fest.

second that would not make them a primitive tribe. I dont know what school you studied in but a few people together camping doesnt make a tribe.

like the jesse james tribe a.k.a. the rustlers , billy kid tribe, the burrows tribe, cook tribe, soapy smith tribe, vasquez tribe.

see what im saying thats not a tribe dude.

you went from a logical idea to noobism in less then 10 minutes.

so you want a tribes mmo basically. you still havent explained a way to make it into a mmo. so your saying its a undiscovered planet with no citys and everyone just has to survive and make tribes.

but obviously due to people and space you cant just let people designate any where to put a "tribe"

and you did with wilderness survival hunting fishing, camping, eating, warmth,

dood if you have a tribe how are you fighting for any of that. if you have citys how are you surviving if you can go barter for it.

noob

all you keep describing more and more with every post is tribes. with out the first person aspect. so write tribes and tell them to make a first person mode.

First,
    Quotation marks

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks
    If you don't know why did I post that link.... stop reading, you are a *** and you don't deserve to read, use that computer which you are currently using, breath the air, eat the food... you are usless, you don't know the basis.

This proves that you are stupid.

Another prove is the overuse of "You are noob"

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob

The third stupid thing you made is, not stating to who the heck are you talking to, now I'm not sure if you in middle of your post you are still talking to me or the OP ...

Also, the hint for you...
    People who have lives (You know, Real Life) after being called noob they just laugh at you telling straight into your eyes "NERD".

So,
    NERD.

@ OP...

So try WURM .... >.>
    http://wurmonline.com/

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

You guys are friggen retarded!Your fighting over if that game is a Wilderness Survival game or not!!!Do you guys have a life whatso ever?!?!STFU!What i know,i dont think there is any games like that.I know some Wilderness Survival games like zombie killing games in the woods and stuff but nothing else....

Lord just lock it this is nothing but a flame fest of two morons.

ONE who clearly thinks WoW is the standard for MMO's and doesnt listen to anything said.

and ONE who thinks that just being able to eat and drink means its survival.

I came here expecting a civil conversation involving either a "Yes I know of one" or "Nope never heard of any"
    Rather than "OMGZ FLAME FLAM RAGGGEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
    Seriously kids grow up

Also, Dinoman Zombie survival games are Not Wilderness survival as said in the OP.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 68

go play wc3 theres lots of survival maps hosted on bn

42 Reputation: 16

I don't know of any MMO's like that, but I know a lot of single player games that are like that
    - sims 2 castaway (only for wii, PC version is crap)
    - ... can't think of any others off the top of my head but I know there's a lot of single player online games on escapegames24.com and gamershood and addictinggames and places like that

"I can kill you with my brain." -River Tam, Firefly

i know some survival games, but they're singleplayer, and for the Nintendo DS.
    they're called "Lost In Blue", and there are already 2 sequels (lost in blue 2 and 3 :P)

i've played both the sequels, and they fit pretty good to what you want (i want the same :P) lemme give you an example:

you are on a cruiseship, which sinks. so you wake up on the beach, and have to find yourself some food, a water source and a home.

you walk along for sometime, and hey! there's someone else! it's someone who also survived! so you search along, and you find a river, just next to a nice cave. so you settle in the cave, but there's no fire yet. so you go out again and look for some twigs and some tree bark to make a fire starter. you also go and find some food (you're friend, which is a girl if you play as a guy, and a guy if you play as a girl, but in any way, you have to do the most of the work, they can't go out for some water, but they can go find some food and twigs for fire). while you run, your energy drains, and if your energy gets to 0%, you can only walk and your health will decrease. you also have "gauges" for your hunger and thirst.

the next day you go out exploring, to find new materials, to make new things, and to find new food. building and exploring are the main aspects of the game, and even because it's for the ds, it doesn't look that bad. it's really playable.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 14

best wilderness survival game is Ultima Online, play either in freeshard or ofcial server. And don't say that graphics sucks - Kingdom Reborn has modern 2007year graphics :3 PM me if you want more info about UO:KR freeshard

in UO you gotta eat, bake/cook, chop trees, hunt wild animals for fur,feathers, beg npcs for money, steal, build your own house, dig for rocks, ore, sand, go fishing, learn scroll scribing, cartography, animal taming, animal herding, cut wool then sew clothes or leather armors from various hides, smith weapons, craft furniture, metal armors, sing songs, do camping, track beasts, and go fighting monsters ----- everything that you can imagine -- thats why I call UO a flawless MMO ROLEPLAYING GAME.
    Last edited by vanagace; 02-20-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Playing: nothing;
    waiting for Guild Wars 2

Cool Wilderness survival game

i know a really good wilderness survival game for PC , it is called Unreal World you can check out the site here:

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

check out haven&hearth

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

wow thats not wurm online. Learn your games kid.

i play wurm online and wurm online is not what hes saying.
    I wish the rules on these forums were more lenient, as they have saved you from a verbal *** whopping.

To the OP, Wurm Online is about as close as you'll get to a survival game.

If you go in to the game with some friends, the best method to have fun is: 1) Find a random location far off in the woods. 2)Make a cave. 3) survive out of the cave.

Eventually, over time, the cave area will turn in to more than just a cave, and you guys might even reach the "settlement" stage.

Other than that, there aren't any real survival games out there. They're just to small of a niche for anyone to invest any real time in developing one. There is one game out there, but of course I cannot remember the name of it.

It's a fairly old game with crappy graphics, and I don't know how long it last. But the premise is basically: Wake up on a strange island, need to find shelter, food, and fire (for warmth). There's basic crafting (you can make tools to make better shelters, gather resources, hunt animals, etc...)

I never actually played it myself, I only watched a Let's Play of a guy playing it, but it looked quite interesting. I'll do some digging around and see if I can find it again.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 04-01-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269

Oregon Trail
    Wolf Quest
    Minecraft
    Wurm