A Wilderness Survival MMO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default A Wilderness Survival MMO

If people are not aware of the rather small genre, wilderness survival does *NOT* mean fighting off thousands of monsters.

Wilderness Survival involves Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, all of those things you did while camping.

It also involves Needs for your character, Heat, Water, Food, Sleep.

I have been looking around for a number of years and have yet to find even a small ammount of single player wilderness survival games of decent quality.. the only couple I Did manage to find were horribly crude VB single player games made by a dutch guy. The unanimated lions attacking me.. Ill never be the same..

If there are any wilderness survival projects or completed games anyone knows about, Please tell me.

what would be the pinnacle of the game.... survival

so what you gain some sort of ability by staying warm for the night. hunting, fishing thats one thing. But a game where the point is to be lost in a woods and survive. That doesnt sound like a fun game. Mix that in with a cabellas type layout and you have a chance.

But i dont see myself playing a game that says you recieved 200 points for clacking 2 stones to create fire or 200 points for snaring a rabbit with a tree.

i guess your just going to make a game where everyone is macgyver and can turn a stone, string and a piece of bubble gum into a f15

specially how would you make that into a mmo cause there are a 100 turnbase games like this already. how could you make that into a mmo especially something you expect people to play for at least a month

*update* 5 turnbased "wilderness survivals" i just looked into all end cause there is no point to make a endless cycle. the point in 3 being to be able to be seen by survival planes. i just dont see how you can make this into a game for more then a hour or 2s worth of play.
    Last edited by DJPROTOJ; 02-13-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Arri's Animal Reputation: 94

Quest: Find the perfect *** leaf for wiping your ***.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydude View Post
    Quest: Find the perfect *** leaf for wiping your ***.
    exactly...

im not trying to flame you id love to help in the development of a good wilderness survival if you can propose a catchy angle or a way to make it more then basically that.

Well, Crafting would be a major factor in it of course, The idea is tribal life, its not just freeze to death in the forest for no reason.

I had a whole bunch of stuff typed up a couple years ago about this, and I realize the -entire genre- doesnt appeal to "Power Gamers" who just want to get to the highest level and "pwn t3h n00bz" so that they can gloat in their little chairs behind a beta version flat screen they paid way too much for when it came out.

Woops, Im rambling.
    It would be a much more social and economic game with less action and more trading, but tribal raids would occur as well. Animal taming and Npc's your could get to join you if you raise their disposition enough, whether through gifts, fear, or just charismatics.

The entire idea is fairly complicated but If I can find those notes Ill type them up again into here to give a better idea of some of the systems.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 14

There is one already ...

Wurm online, it's pretty darn good

thats not wilderness survival at all if its tribal which one is it. we doing jungle villages, indian villages, 17th century, 1000 ad, 5th century. thats as far from wilderness survival as you can get. Thats like the polar opposite.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 14

It's survival, yes, you need to take care about your thrist and hungry, yes you don't need to stay near the fire to warm yourself or spend a night in the shelter... but.. It's still the survival,
    building your own things is the other story, which you don't have to do.

How is that far away from wilderness survival? If you dont feel that it makes sense to group together to combine efforts and hence, have a better chance at Living in a hazardous place, then you really need to go backwoods camping, None of that "Oh Hey I can see the neighbouring campers tent" Crap. xP

And thank you Avager I will check that out

Edit: after reading your second post I have decided to not check it out ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Avager View Post
    There is one already ...

Wurm online, it's pretty darn good
    wow thats not wurm online. Learn your games kid.

i play wurm online and wurm online is not what hes saying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast