Thinking about giving FF11 one last try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 15

Default Thinking about giving FF11 one last try.

About 3 years ago, my and a friend both bought FF11, Before that, I had been excited about the game years before it came out, I was probably in middle school when i heard about, or maybe early high school. I even spent hours watching this live footage of beta thing that they had going (i had a crappy PC so there was so way i could play beta).

Anyway, the point is, I was super excited about the game, and when i could finally afford to start paying a monthly fee, I got it. Me and friend installed it, set everything up okay and started to play. After that day, we never played again. The controls were so horrible and akward that we both just couldnt take it. Not to mention there weren't any helpful people on at the time. We spent most of the time trying to change the controls. But from what I can remember, we only found two controller settings, both were equally wierd and seemed to be impossible for no reason. I think we manged to kill one worm before we just gave up and moved on, we probably didnt even kill it.

My question is, has this changed (i doubt since many people get along fine with the controls). But is there at least w a s d controls? I think more than anything, it was the menu that made everything weird, are there different settings and such?

The reason I'm getting into this now is because there doesnt seem to be many mmos out there with a sense of adventure, but everytime I think about or look at FF11, it screams adventures to me. I know all about how it can be grindy, and i prefer large groups/teams, but those controls and menu system... I'm hoping theres a way to change them, because using my hand for movement without using the mouse just feel really akward.

I might be asking for too much and i know its probably worth it for the game its self, but based on all this, is it worth it for me to try and deal with these controls?
    Playing:
    Second Life - Skyrim - Waiting for a decent MMO

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

The controls take a little getting used to but only takes a few days to get it down. For the adventure part there is more than enough to do in FFXI. WASD doesnt work for FFXI. Now the basic controls are all on the number pad except for shortcuts of course.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

The reason the controls are so bad for PC is because it was originally a PS2 game. I play it on PC have a converter so I can use my PS2 controller for my PC the setup was very easy. People complain about the controls and UI the most about this game and don't realize it was a game made and developed for PS2. Now you can also change the keyboard by switching to Micro keyboard which I'm not sure but makes it play better not sure because again I use a PS2 controller only use keyboard to chat.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 18

i've always found the keys fine i mean i prefer wasd but i don't see any problem with it, its not a game for noobs the way to 75 is long and can be hard made easier with level sync but once u get there the content is good

Latest signature

favorite sig

Still learning

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

What are you guys talking about? You can use the WASD keys just set it on compact.... and your wrong Lexin, it was meant for the PC, the PS2 version came out like a year afterward. I got it right when the jueno expansion came out so it was all good. As of now I gave it a try like feburary but it was too gay to lvl if your low lvl(qufim parties sucked ***) theres lvl syncing but where can you find ppl that will help you lvl? Not alot of ppl I tell you. Just wait for FFXIV, it will be WAYYY better than FFXI. FFXI was fun 4 years ago when there were alot of ppl who where mid range still, but those gloriful days are now gone.

P.S. If you can find a static party with your friends who will actually play with you then it becomes fun because thats how it was fun for me.

Take wat you can and give none back!
    -PiRaTeKiNg

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by PiRaTeKiNg3 View Post
    What are you guys talking about? You can use the WASD keys just set it on compact.... and your wrong Lexin, it was meant for the PC, the PS2 version came out like a year afterward. I got it right when the jueno expansion came out so it was all good. As of now I gave it a try like feburary but it was too gay to lvl if your low lvl(qufim parties sucked ***) theres lvl syncing but where can you find ppl that will help you lvl? Not alot of ppl I tell you. Just wait for FFXIV, it will be WAYYY better than FFXI. FFXI was fun 4 years ago when there were alot of ppl who where mid range still, but those gloriful days are now gone.

P.S. If you can find a static party with your friends who will actually play with you then it becomes fun because thats how it was fun for me.
    I agree, Final Fantasy XIV looks like it will be way better...

I think that Level Sync and FoV made the game way too easy and alot of people stopped playing, because I only see 1.4k people on at a time everytime I check (Quetzalcoatl server) but I don't play anymore because the game got way boring.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 11

I say wait till Final Fantasy 14 (or was it 15?) to come out because its the new one, and apperently it has monthly updates instead of every 3 month updates. And I heard it will be like WoW a little and have buy-able DLC.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 178

Get the game, people are recruiting Linkshells (guilds-like feature) all the time. And yeah the game does scream adventure. The quests in this game are REAL quests that have you travel and give you a challenge. Unlike most games where a quest is "kill 10 <mobs> for a bunch of money and the best gear" The game is a bit difficult but rewarding.

For Movement all you do is switch to compact.

No FF14 won't be like WoW. They're making it a bit casual so no one *****es about all the hardcore content from FF11 and so people don't have to wait all day for parties.

[01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): it's just im tired of all this
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): women need to know
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): chivalry never existed
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): knights were bastards to everyone
    [01:56] Riz (rizev): What about...
    [01:56] Riz (rizev): JEDI knights?

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 6

If you get it for PC, I read that having a analog pc controller will be useful, lol, especially on laptops
    Team Sky Nite - http://teamskynite.net - upcoming competitive gaming team & community

Let's never forget who paid to get us here

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 11

If you buy a game controller for your PC, I garuntee you will find it easier.
    ..::Most Recent::..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast