Heroes of Newerth - Thoughts from a DotA player

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned Reputation: 12

Well...I just installed a bit ago, never played DOTA before

First match as to be expected I was lost as a mutha. Accidentally started following some guy and it took me like 15 seconds to find out how to stop.

TheeeEEeeEeeeEeen upon getting pwnt from the opposition multiple times as I hadn't been leveling up...at all.

Someone kindly asked me to leave as I was "feeding" and should go play a noob game. Thus I had to gather up the bit of dignity I had left and leave the room.

THEEEEEEEEEeeeeen I go to another room, a "noobs only" room. At first I was worried as I was lvl 1 while everyone was about lvl 4. I was still lagging behind the pack per say. Though that subsided as I ! caught up somehow. Realizing that there were dots on the map to tell me where neutral creeps are and the fact that if I were to kill the other sides NPCs I'd get up there pretty quick. Of course I hadn't made much kills but yah, I feel I was getting the hang of it. I even bought a few stuff from shop in a oh thats what it was for manner.

Finnaly my third match was interupted in the beginning as my father wanted to have a talk telling me to exit that Diabolical game (Was at Hellbourne side)

I was doing pretty damned good too =/ Had highest level 5 and was bout to go kick some Legion ***.

Anywho...its slightly fun, I can see myself playing for few more days without wanting to exit game and go play something else which is a good thing.

I REALLY would appreciate someone giving me some pointers and explaining things a bit better to me as I just jumped in head first and tried to survive.

Lastly Like...which are the good people to pick?

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Pok View Post
    Beta testers are allowed to talk about HoN now (no screenies or videos) so here are my first impressions of the game. These are my opinions only:

The good
    -Voice chat in game
    -A 'dota keys' set up in game
    -Better graphics
    -Concede / Vote kick in game
    -Reconnect

The bad
    -Stat tracking, if you are playing without friends expect to get owned. You will get pubstomped and you will not be able to find a game that will fill with shuffled players. Bad win / loss or kill / death means that hosts will not have you on their team and your record will only get worse, team stacking is key. I hate stat tracking, it strangles fun from the game. Certain tracked stats are fine (% of games left would be dandy), but the KDR and w/l ratios ruin it, especially since this is a team game and the quality of your team directly affects your stats. Yes, I have terrible stats for HoN, even though I have really good stats for DotA.
    -The game is DotA, but it changed the appearence of all the heroes (some skill changes) and renamed them and the items. You're going to be confused as to which hero can do what for a while.
    -The pretty graphics can obscure what is going on.
    -Lack of DotA's giant hero selection.

Overall the game isn't bad (I'm starting to think it needs to be balanced a bit more), but it isn't as polished as DotA. Yes, I know it's beta and that a lot of the negatives will likely work themselves out in time.

Way to go, but remember most (or all) of your points on the negative section will be fixed, it is in closed beta, the priority is bug squashing, new heroes, maps, features all will come and is coming . What about the awesome server solution? I'm just saying, do not judge the game by its current state (it owns now aswell), more content to come, just hang on there .
    "A good man in an evil society seems the greatest villain of all."

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 149

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsue View Post
    Well...I just installed a bit ago, never played DOTA before

First match as to be expected I was lost as a mutha. Accidentally started following some guy and it took me like 15 seconds to find out how to stop.

TheeeEEeeEeeeEeen upon getting pwnt from the opposition multiple times as I hadn't been leveling up...at all.

Someone kindly asked me to leave as I was "feeding" and should go play a noob game. Thus I had to gather up the bit of dignity I had left and leave the room.

THEEEEEEEEEeeeeen I go to another room, a "noobs only" room. At first I was worried as I was lvl 1 while everyone was about lvl 4. I was still lagging behind the pack per say. Though that subsided as I ! caught up somehow. Realizing that there were dots on the map to tell me where neutral creeps are and the fact that if I were to kill the other sides NPCs I'd get up there pretty quick. Of course I hadn't made much kills but yah, I feel I was getting the hang of it. I even bought a few stuff from shop in a oh thats what it was for manner.

Finnaly my third match was interupted in the beginning as my father wanted to have a talk telling me to exit that Diabolical game (Was at Hellbourne side)

I was doing pretty damned good too =/ Had highest level 5 and was bout to go kick some Legion ***.

Anywho...its slightly fun, I can see myself playing for few more days without wanting to exit game and go play something else which is a good thing.

I REALLY would appreciate someone giving me some pointers and explaining things a bit better to me as I just jumped in head first and tried to survive.

Lastly Like...which are the good people to pick?
    There's some guides here, read the basic ones, there's some hero guides too:

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/board,102.0.html

Banned Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by peter griffin View Post
    there's some guides here, read the basic ones, there's some hero guides too:

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/board,102.0.html
    Thanks Alot !

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 32

Quote Originally Posted by korncob View Post
    The game made me feel like "that kid" in gym class (not that I've ever had that experience personally) but everyone stacks against you and outright say "you suck" then you end up with a crap team and everyone on the other team always picks moon queen and whatever that guy is that gains health by killing (both are completely overpowered) and sometimes pyro though he is a bit op as well....my point is I always see idiots in every game talking trash and picking these same characters....it is overly obvious to me that they are overpowered but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I won't be playing...I don't expect an award-winning community but at least some form of decency is required unless the game is worth ignoring the community over...which in this case it really isn't.
    Why not arrange an OnRPG game only? I usually play with a norwegian community, no tards, no whiners, all fun . Add me evilleader, I usually play private with friends aswell, and you are welcome to join.

I am all in for OnRPG game tomorrow!

We have an OnRPG channel on HoN

Click @ Join new channel > Write 'onrpg' and enter!
    Last edited by evilleader; 07-18-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    "A good man in an evil society seems the greatest villain of all."

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 37

I am playing now if anyone wants to play, Even new people.

IGN: Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Paladuck View Post
    The economy is really rough, all those Chinese gold farmers are out of a job.

Rock Man Reputation: 25

Is anyone here really really good? Like 2.0-2.5+ ratio who'd like to pubstomp with me? xD

Edit: oh wtf stat reset
    Last edited by Torque; 07-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Banned Reputation: 132

Well i just had my first game.The game is pretty good but one guy in my team started insulting me from the start,cuz its my first time playing...So i told him:How the **** am i suppose to learn if i dont play.And eventually we DID win.So thats one of the minuses....ppl are douches to new players.Not all of course but some.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

When i make games i usually add (onrpg) to the end of the title so you guys can find me.
    Im actually surprised. I have never played a game with a rude person yet, well maybe once now that i think about it, but it wasnt that bad.
    Custom Built Desktop: [Windows 7 build 7264 x64][Intel E8400@3.8ghz] [DDR2 4gb] [Nvidia EVGA Gtx 260(711/1533/2432)] [Creative Soundblaster] [Corsair 550w] Lenovo X200Tablet: [Windows 7 build 7100 x86][L9400 @1.86ghz][Intel GMA 4500MHD][2gb Ram][160GB 7200rpm][LED-lit Touchscreen/pen-abled]

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 67

Quote Originally Posted by H4wkeye View Post
    Well i just had my first game.The game is pretty good but one guy in my team started insulting me from the start,cuz its my first time playing...So i told him:How the **** am i suppose to learn if i dont play.And eventually we DID win.So thats one of the minuses....ppl are douches to new players.Not all of course but some.
    That's the DOTA community, the only community out there thats worse than the Maple Story community. It's not "some players", its "most players". Only a few people are friendly and take it for what it is, a game. Rest take it waaaay too seriously.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast