The Champions Online Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 11

Default The Champions Online Review

Hey all, its been several days now and some players are still having a tough time getting into the game. As such, I thought the game has been released long enough to put down a comprehensive review of Champions Online.

Although I write this champions is technically ‘in beta’ ..the real fact is the game is out and available to the public to purchase and play. As such, players are trying to make a decision as to whether or not this game is right for them (and spending ~$50). It is my hope that this review will help you with this decision. I will update and revise the review constantly through open beta as I expect many things will change.

Champions Online: The Review
    "Super Fun PVE … Super Bland PvP..and a Lot of Spandex in Between"

I worked hard to make it unbiased, fairly comprehensive and fun to read. Focusing on being straightforward as possible …addressing why the highs aren’t so high, nor the lows so disastrous.

However I would really like your input. Aspects I overlooked, things you liked or didn't like, spelling mistakes, or any errors Ive made (I may be superhuman in this game, but I remain a mere mortal in life) .

I don't mind if you post how much you hate the review, just be constructive as to how I can improve. I actually encourage people to point out what they didnt like or dont agree with and why. Sometimes the harshest of critiques are the most useful.

Thanks all!

A Shrubbery Reputation: 27

It's probably the best review I've read at the moment.

Most every quest, instances and levels are soloable
    That doesn't make sense though, remove the most.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 71

The review is incorrect on a few points.

Builds become active at level 6, but Roles available once you unlock the perk. You need a builds to make your roles active or not.

For example a Role perk would be, soaking up xx,xxx points of damage, which then unlocks Defender role.

I'm not certain, but I also believe there there are hybrid roles as well.

The death penalty, is loosing a 'star' under your mug shot. With every star lost, you lose a percentage of the damage and healing bonuses that the stars provide. (Kinda like a 'hope' system from LOTRO).

You didn't cover anything on the Perk system, which unlocks non combat pets, costume pieces and titles.

There are 4 different roles;
    Defensive, Balanced, Offensive and Support

The roles are unlocked exactly how you described;
    Defender - After you take a certain amount of damage
    Offensive - After you deal a certain amount of damage
    Support - After you heal a certain amount of health

The perk system and death penalty are valid though.

Thanks Guys, you are correct. There is a lot of info to cover and I knew I was missing something. I will add those points in.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 22

I don't see how CO is any different than CoH or CoV. In fact, i'd rather play CoV since i'd rather play as a villain.

That is a big problem. Is there enough room in the gaming world for 2 super hero themed MMOs? Soon there will be a third (DC UNiverse) and I dont know...was development on Marval UNiverse resurected?

If you like playing villains then the choice is clear. I mentioned this in my Flaws of Champions Section

Super Moderator Reputation: 189

Quote Originally Posted by Leafninja View Post
    I don't see how CO is any different than CoH or CoV.
    Then you aren't looking hard enough.

Champions is completely different from CoH which is going to be completely different than DCUO.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 167

Quote Originally Posted by Czzarre View Post
    That is a big problem. Is there enough room in the gaming world for 2 super hero themed MMOs? Soon there will be a third (DC UNiverse) and I dont know...was development on Marval UNiverse resurected?

If you like playing villains then the choice is clear. I mentioned this in my Flaws of Champions Section
    I dunno about Marvel Universe. It was Cryptic who had the contract to develope it, but...

I think Marvel went to Sony to pick up the pieces. Maybe something will come out of this Sony/Marvel deal (if they did go to them).

I remember the first news about Marvel Universe. They mentioned something about a F2P method. With the release of Free Realms and how well its doing, I can see Sony working on a decent title for Marvel, but I dont think it will truly be F2P. I think it will a B2P play title with microtransactions (similar to GW).

Quote Originally Posted by Arri View Post
    Then you aren't looking hard enough.

Champions is completely different from CoH which is going to be completely different than DCUO.
    Agreed

The system different. You need to compare the two game mechanics.

If you read the threads on how the Stats work with powers and dmg, you will notice how different the mechanics are.

Interesting system for Champions. Any two stats can be your dmg dealer. It all depends on your two super stats. Which makes for some serious tricking out of character development.

@Czzarre

Yep, the same flaw CoX had when it first came out.
    Last edited by cyber7chink; 08-20-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

There will be a Marvel MMO, it was shit canned after the Cryptic deal went bad but apparently they have a new dev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast