Can anyone pick up programming?

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Default Can anyone pick up programming?

I tried learning programming at my university, but I found it to be too difficult. They made us learn Scheme, which I thought was a useless and obsolete language that no one uses nowadays. I also tried learning a bit of Java on my own by reading a textbook.

It seems that for programming, you need to be able to think logically in a certain way. For some exercises, I would spend hours trying to figure it out but I still wouldn't be able to think of a remotely sensible solution.

My main question is this: Is it possible for just anyone to learn programming or should I just give up because I'm not smart enough? It seemed like everyone else in my Computer Science class understood everything instantly while I was the only one struggling.

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

I personally think that anyone can learn programming, given enough time, and enough effort, though obviously the amount of each required is different depending on the person.

Java and C are good places to start for practical languages. You're right, that it requires a different mindset; but once you have that, it pretty much carries across any language you'll learn. It just takes time, is all.

What you should do is set yourself some relatively easy project, and try to make it. Like, try and make tic-tac-toe in the console, using Java or C. It'll do wonders for your understanding.

If you don't know where to start; I can definitely help with that, just ask!
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 11

I personally think it has nothing to do with being able to think in certain ways or not.

I have just passed my drawing exams of my university the first time in my life, after four times of failure, and drawing is the thing I hate the most. I am a programmer of my heart. I believe it all has to do with the way you are open to the thing you want to learn. I hated drawing so I barely did something with it. And yet I have now acquired the skills needed for me to advance further in drawing.

If you like it, go for it. Start slowly, and you'll gradually advance. This goes for everything in life. All you have to do is get motivation.
    Nickmania - a free game development portal with games depot

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Try learning a programming language and a popular framework together.

Ruby on Rails is a good example. A framework like Rails lets you leave the meticulous coding to the abstract (like setting up an interface with the database) while you focus on the actual logic and methodology of the program.

It's much different than hand-coding everything from the ground up as they commonly teach you in school with a bloated language. You'll see results faster and it will make a hell of a lot more sense to you.

Learn a language based on Basic, then move on to C or C++ if you wish. I'm adamant anyone can learn anything, it just has to be explained to fit their state of thinking/learning strengths. If you decide to go with C++, give me a shout via PM if you need help.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 20

I think it helps so a awful lot if you have a natural talent for problem solving.

Above average IQ helps but you dont have to be a freakin genius. I work with guys who are allot smarter than me but im a better programmer because I have practice at that.

i tried learning programming in 6th grade with a program called game maker. i remember getting the hang of the drag and drop stuff quickly, but when i tried to move to using actual code instead of the simplified d&d commands that were included for beginners i had a lot of trouble. what worked for me was finding a good tutorial on the language it used, that really helped me understand how it worked. i think anyone can learn to program if they are taught in a way that suits their learning style