Do I have what it takes?

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 25

Default Do I have what it takes?

Hey guys, thanks for dropping by and reading what I have to type.

Okay so. I'm currently 18 and I would REALLY love to work into the gaming industry but I'm feeling like I lack knowledge somewhere. I'm currently studying Programming/Web Design and here what I learned so far: C, C++, Visual Basic, Java, HTML and PHP. I have a couple more things left to see with classes but with the mentioned coding/programming languages mentioned above, do you think I would have chances to work as a programmer?

I'm writing this because like I said, I'm not feeling confident toward my future and not having possibilities to work into what I love too is a thought that kills me inside.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

I'd learn a few libraries beyond those languages (like OpenGL), but yes, C++ and Java are generally the two languages you're going to need.

You should also try to see what you can do to get an internship at a gaming company, if that's where you want to go. If there's one in your area, talk to your school about possibly doing some sort of co-op, if they offer it.

If they don't, look up the phone number for human resources of whichever game company you'd like to apply to, and ask them! That's what HR is there for. Say you're a student who's looking for an opportunity to work at their company as a tools/graphics/gameplay programmer when you graduate, and ask them what qualifications you might need.

Most companies usually require a Computer Science/Software Engineering degree from an accredited university, but some don't require a degree at all; and a lot will take you (or so I've heard) if you have something equivalent, or if you simply have good, relevant work experience on your resume.

Which game company were you thinking of working at?

EDIT: Ohho! I see you're also chillin' over here with me in Montreal. So you have plenty of choice.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Well, so far I have Ubisoft and EA Games as possibilities.

I had an Career Choice class in my last high school year which lead me to having a contact in Ubisoft who showed me the ropes of programming and stuff. Spent a whole day there and I LOVED it. It was so much fun and the guy was really interesting and just got me even more hooked on programming.

EA Games. Uncle friend's is working there and maybe could find a spot for when I'm done with Cégep :P

At the moment, I plan on completeing Cégep and then heading over McGuill for University. That's what sounds like the most logical choice.

Also, I'll take a look at OpenGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersun View Post
    Well, so far I have Ubisoft and EA Games as possibilities.

I had an Career Choice class in my last high school year which lead me to having a contact in Ubisoft who showed me the ropes of programming and stuff. Spent a whole day there and I LOVED it. It was so much fun and the guy was really interesting and just got me even more hooked on programming.

EA Games. Uncle friend's is working there and maybe could find a spot for when I'm done with Cégep :P

At the moment, I plan on completeing Cégep and then heading over McGuill for University. That's what sounds like the most logical choice.

Also, I'll take a look at OpenGL.
    Both are good. I've heard good things about Ubisoft, but I also heard that their work environment is majority french (is this true? You're the one who's been there, after all ). As for EA Games, I'm actually starting an internship with Concordia's co-op program there in about 2 weeks, so I could let you know how that goes, and ask them any questions you might have.

But yes, definitely complete Cégep first. As for university, depending on what you want, McGill may or may not be the best choice. Most of my friends actually went to McGill, and though I also got accepted, I chose Concordia, 'cause of the co-op program. McGill does look better on a CV, but to be honest, in the games industry (or so I've heard), at least, after you've held down your first job, they pretty much just glance at your degree to see if you have one and focus more on past experience. Just remember that McGill isn't the be-all and end-all. That being said, if your friends are going to McGill, your parents want you to go to McGill, and you really like their class list; it's a no brainer, go for McGill.

Actually, instead of OpenGL, which is a personal favorite, you might actually want to learn DirectX instead. It's used for most computer games these days, as well as Xbox360 games. Though I really like OpenGL, mainly 'cause it's not Microsoft, and runs on non-windows systems.

Also, do you go to Dawson?
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
    Both are good. I've heard good things about Ubisoft, but I also heard that their work environment is majority french (is this true? You're the one who's been there, after all ). As for EA Games, I'm actually starting an internship with Concordia's co-op program there in about 2 weeks, so I could let you know how that goes, and ask them any questions you might have.

But yes, definitely complete Cégep first. As for university, depending on what you want, McGill may or may not be the best choice. Most of my friends actually went to McGill, and though I also got accepted, I chose Concordia, 'cause of the co-op program. McGill does look better on a CV, but to be honest, in the games industry (or so I've heard), at least, after you've held down your first job, they pretty much just glance at your degree to see if you have one and focus more on past experience. Just remember that McGill isn't the be-all and end-all. That being said, if your friends are going to McGill, your parents want you to go to McGill, and you really like their class list; it's a no brainer, go for McGill.

Actually, instead of OpenGL, which is a personal favorite, you might actually want to learn DirectX instead. It's used for most computer games these days, as well as Xbox360 games. Though I really like OpenGL, mainly 'cause it's not Microsoft, and runs on non-windows systems.

Also, do you go to Dawson?
    I'm a Frenchie myself so language isn't a barrier since I can speak both quite fluently. ^^

That Concordia thing is truly interesting. I'd like to hear feedback from it. I'm not in the process of applying for Universities yet. My friend's brother went to McGill and I heard good thing about it. No idea about the others but I'm not planning on choosing a school based on my friends at this point.

And I'll take a look at DirectX. I don't think it's too easy to pick up but anyway. Thanks for the tips mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersun View Post
    I'm a Frenchie myself so language isn't a barrier since I can speak both quite fluently. ^^

That Concordia thing is truly interesting. I'd like to hear feedback from it. I'm not in the process of applying for Universities yet. My friend's brother went to McGill and I heard good thing about it. No idea about the others but I'm not planning on choosing a school based on my friends at this point.

And I'll take a look at DirectX. I don't think it's too easy to pick up but anyway. Thanks for the tips mate.
    Ah, cool . I'm functionally bilingual myself; I can speak french enough to get by, and if someone talks to me in french, it's no problem, but have a social conversation in french is not one of my fortes

Yeah, DirectX isn't so easy to pick up, but there are tons of tutorials out there for it. This seems pretty good.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
    Ah, cool . I'm functionally bilingual myself; I can speak french enough to get by, and if someone talks to me in french, it's no problem, but have a social conversation in french is not one of my fortes

Yeah, DirectX isn't so easy to pick up, but there are tons of tutorials out there for it. This seems pretty good.
    Aye, I'll take a look at that. Like I said, if I could have any feedback from your Concordia partnership thingy, it would be greatly appreciated.

Things such as what do you learn, environment.