What's Guild Wars like?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 31

I enjoyed every minute I played of it... and still do...

If you'r buying the normal guild wars without expansion.. Ill play with you...
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
    Mark Twain

Olpah's Object Reputation: 72

The max lvl is 20 and it's easy to get to.
    But don't be like my friends and instantly hate the game because you reach max lvl quickly.

The game/storyline continues on much further after you hit max lvl.

Lockhart’s are forever Reputation: 13

Unlocking absolutely everything can take up to years. Especially when it comes to unlocking skills. Then all possible insignias and inscriptions and runes, etc.etc.etc.

MeruMeru Credited for concept.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 238

1. gameplay is cooperative group based game ... with great sotryline
    2. even thought the game is old community is still growing every day ...
    3. if u got all 3 games and expansion eotn then content is humongous even 1st guildwars game has huge content ... so what to speak about 2 other games + expansion ?
    4. there is no grind u do quests and get to lvl 20 in like 4 days ??? and do the story line then dungeons , title farming , pvp , guild wars ... hero battles ... and so on and on ...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Basically, the PvP-oriented skill-system is so good, that I think it's a shame that some players use the mouse to play.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

Well I've already googled GW but I prefer a player's point of view on the game. The only GW available around my local area is GW: Eye of the north. It's an expansion right? Does that mean I have to buy GW originals to play it or can I just play Eye of the north?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by longman View Post
    Well I've already googled GW but I prefer a player's point of view on the game. The only GW available around my local area is GW: Eye of the north. It's an expansion right? Does that mean I have to buy GW originals to play it or can I just play Eye of the north?
    You'll want to buy the guild wars trilogy first. (its a bit more than a single game, but significatly cheaper than buying indivudually) Eye of the north comes later.

As for game play, Heres my personal opinion:
    PVE:
    Prophecies: Long startup, fabulous for first time players, great storyline, no rush for leveling. End game content is a bit small, but its the best campaign to access the underworld and fissure of woe from. Sorrows furnace is awesome, but a bit empty these days.

Factions: Forced leveling, very structured storyline, overall I find it annoying to play. On the flip side of the coin, Factions has the fastest leveling (level 20 and access to other continents in as little as 10 hours) and the only 12 man areas in GW. Urgoz Warren and the deep are probably the most fun endgame areas. Factions also adds three unique forms of pvp to the game (Allianace battles 12v12, Jade Quarry 8v8 and Fort Aspenwood 8v8)

Nightfall: Slower leveling that factions this is the first campaign with any grinding. Even so its faster than prophecies, and has a good storyline. Nightfall's endgame (domain of anguish) is the hardest in guild wars (Its the only area that I have never survived for any length of time in the game)

Eye of the North: The only expansion, EotN is all middle -> endgame. lots of content, and more grinding than most of the rest of guild wars, but its all optional.

Bascially for PVE guild wars is like many of the best MMO's out there with far less time grinding.

PVP is where the game really shines. Guild wars has the absolute most balanced pvp system of any game I've played, and allows you to start pvp immediatly after buying the game, theres no need to level a character before hand. With over 1000 skills to choose from and only 8 slots on your bar, you are forced to rely on allies, soloing is nearly impossible. There are exceptions to this but they are easily countered. If you like any pvp, casual or tournament or anything in between guild wars is the game for you.
    Guild Wars IGN's: (I have three accounts, so try all of these)
    Primary account: Kumlekar The Slayer/Indigo Sass
    Secondary Account: Life of Frost
    Tertiary account: Miss Poon

Phantasy Star Universe PC/PS2 Server
    Kumlekar

Dark Orbit West Coast Server: Kumlekar (VRU)
    Darkthrone IGN: Why would I tell you that? I hate being attacked.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Default Well.. LOOK!

To be honest, Guild Wars suck because ''ALWAYS ASKING FOR HELP'' to do quest, missions, and that. YOU CAN'T PLAY IT WITOUT ASKING OTHER PEOPLE!! AND! doing that in 1 - 2 hours till somebody whisper:''what do u need help with?''. Trust me, this will happen at many quests, many mission(At missions it's 100%!) The world/map is little. you can teleport from town to town.. and that's lame because.. NO ADVENTURE! NO FUN! The game can be very hard at the skills. You must make your own ''Skillbar'' to everything, farm, mission, quest, run, and boss. The game gets boring when you've played it, in 5 - 7 months. when i had played in it ONE WEEK! i had 3 level. 20 characters. Faction is easy like hell i won it, on one week, and a 2 - 3 days. EVEN, if this game were free, i would't play it.

1. World/Map.. Freaking little. No adventure, no fun, NOTHING!

2. Skills.. Very hard and confusing. Many people have a shítty build.

3. Armor.. Most of the Cloth is so ''BORING!'' and so.. ''SIMPLE'' just some boring cloth, like in the real life.. lol. . It's not like ''fantasy''. Try to look at the WoW armor, and you'll see.(I dont like Wow, but the armor can be very cool)

4. The petsystem. The pet's are boring too. It's like a dog or a hamster. You can get a Moa Bird, or a little, normal tiger and that kind of things. It's one word.. BORING!. The pet's are boring and NO MOUNTS! See, that's lame.

5. You can't climb, jump, walk at the walls, go out from a hole, fall down. And that's something i hate.

I have more reasons but, i wont tell 'em all.

When i read on the game:''Join millions of players'' i think:''They MUST be kidding. Is millions of people gáy?

I dont say that people should play WoW but play something... Fun, Cool, FREE!, and that

The story is nice but... THAT'S NOT ENOUGH!! We need more than that.

Graphic is very nice but, that's still not enough!!
    Last edited by Croulix; 09-14-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Croulix View Post
    To be honest, Guild Wars suck because ''ALWAYS ASKING FOR HELP'' to do quest, missions, and that. YOU CAN'T PLAY IT WITOUT ASKING OTHER PEOPLE!! AND! doing that in 1 - 2 hours till somebody whisper:''what do u need help with?''. Trust me, this will happen at many quests, many mission(At missions it's 100%!) The world/map is little. you can teleport from town to town.. and that's lame because.. NO ADVENTURE! NO FUN! The game can be very hard at the skills. You must make your own ''Skillbar'' to everything, farm, mission, quest, run, and boss. The game gets boring when you've played it, in 5 - 7 months. when i had played in it ONE WEEK! i had 3 level. 20 characters. Faction is easy like hell i won it, on one week, and a 2 - 3 days. EVEN, if this game were free, i would't play it.

1. World/Map.. Freaking little. No adventure, no fun, NOTHING!

2. Skills.. Very hard and confusing. Many people have a shítty build.

3. Armor.. Most of the Cloth is so ''BORING!'' and so.. ''SIMPLE'' just some boring cloth, like in the real life.. lol. . It's not like ''fantasy''. Try to look at the WoW armor, and you'll see.(I dont like Wow, but the armor can be very cool)

4. The petsystem. The pet's are boring too. It's like a dog or a hamster. You can get a Moa Bird, or a little, normal tiger and that kind of things. It's one word.. BORING!. The pet's are boring and NO MOUNTS! See, that's lame.

5. You can't climb, jump, walk at the walls, go out from a hole, fall down. And that's something i hate.

I have more reasons but, i wont tell 'em all.

When i read on the game:''Join millions of players'' i think:''They MUST be kidding. Is millions of people gáy?

I dont say that people should play WoW but play something... Fun, Cool, FREE!, and that

The story is nice but... THAT'S NOT ENOUGH!! We need more than that.

Graphic is very nice but, that's still not enough!!
    Guild Wars uses a different model from other MMO's in that the only persistent areas (where you see other people) are in towns. Launch a mission or go out to an explorable area and you and your party will be the only friendlies there. This model, while limiting to some, enabled Guild Wars to run well even on dial-up connections.

As for asking for help, the game is 4 years old, most players are just completing their stuff, and due to the instanced nature of the game, you can't expect anyone to drop what they're doing just to help you out for one little quest. To address this, there's AI-controlled henchmen available which are adequate and can fill in gaps in your group if you're lacking in human players. Heroes are available in the Nightfall and Eye of the North games, these are henchmen that you have a greater degree of control over in terms of their skills, behaviour and location.

As regards the community, while there may be rude people in-game, I guess that's true wherever people gather and you're hiding behind avatars

Join a good guild. There's heaps looking for members (gwonline and gwguru sites both have recruiting forums), and they have their own interests -- shop around a bit until you find a guild that's a good fit for what you want out of the game.

The world map may be little, but IMO the town travel is convenient. I'd rather have that than walk all the way from one town to another. Eliminates the need for mounts, that would be another gold sink for sure.

Being only able to bring 8 skills into battle forces you to think strategically and synergize your skills from the thousands of available ones. That's part of the fun, making creative builds to suit your playstyle.

Some replies to your numbered items:

1. See a couple of paragraphs above.

2. Skills confusing? Read the skill descriptions. A little googling and you can get good build templates that you can use and improve or modify to your preferences.

3. GW Armor design is a matter of personal preference. Some don't like it, I prefer it as it is a bit more "realistic" than other fantasy MMO armor that I'm sure you can't move around in if it were real. (oh wait, real and fantasy in the same sentence....)

4. Again a matter of preference. Making the pet more effective requires you to invest heavily in the Beast Mastery attribute, when you could have just boosted your other skills and become effective with your damage. They have their uses in some specific builds though.

5. No z-axis, yes, but that was a design decision. Remember that GW was heavily influenced by Magic: The Gathering (the 8-skill skillbar) and Diablo (no jumping).

In the end, all you're getting here is individual opinions. We can bicker endlessly here over GW's faults and merits, but the only person who can make the decision to play the game is yourself. And when you do try it, try to evaluate it on its own merits instead of comparing it with other MMOs you've played.

I'd suggest you take one poster's offer to borrow and try his account so you can see for yourself. Then PM me in-game (IGN Boi Choi) and maybe we can tour the GW world sometime
    Last edited by beldeti; 09-17-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Lots of great reviews for this game, so when GW2 comes out you can expect a huge base of players.
    I wonder whom will be crowded king of mmorpg by the end of 2010 or will the old king"WoW" keep his crown?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast