Visual Basic 6.0

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Default Visual Basic 6.0

So last Friday our informatics teacher told us we will learn how to program in Visual Basic 6.0. I know it is old but if you can believe what my teacher said then the newer versions aren't "basic" as they should and are more like advanced. Anyway....we have 2 lessons a week and one is 40 minutes long. I don't expect to learn much but how useful is Visual Basic?

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 21

yah the new versions are not that basic so it should not be called as visual basic.. Visual Basic 6 is really powerful and easy to use since all you have to do is design how your program will look like then drag the icons on the form.. add some codes ... you have a working program.. xD When I was in college I use VB6 to create virus. hehe. I sabotage some pc in my lab because I hate the IT there. ^ ^ well dont do that.. Good Luck on learning VB6 have fun!!
    Currently Playing:
    O.o?

You think you know people, and you realize it's all just a facade.

Banned Reputation: 101

Learning VB6 is completely useless; it'll just make learning VB.NET easier which is the most easy language i know (And i know QBasic; a very old DOS programming language).

Only thing i can see VB6 being useful for is for using the Eclipse, and VBGore engines; and i know one of them are think of upgrading to VB.NET for sure.

Your teacher is an idiot, VB.NET is simple; Well enough for a grade 11-12 student to be learning.

But wait, are you in Information Processing (10,20,30) or Computer Science(20,30)?

If it is in Info then he is doing more then required.

EDIT: VB6 isn't that powerful, but it is object oriented which is real nice... C++ is virtually limitless; VB6 has plenty it cannot do.

Also OP: After you take those VB6 lessons whatever you don't learn you can do much easier at home; if you have someone to teach you ther basics you can figure the rest out.
    Last edited by bonneau_14; 09-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 21

Quote Originally Posted by bonneau_14 View Post

VB6 isn't that powerful, but it is object oriented which is real nice... C++ is virtually limitless; VB6 has plenty it cannot do.
    Yes!! because VB6 is designed for making simple applications like calculator.. C++ is really on a different level..
    Currently Playing:
    O.o?

You think you know people, and you realize it's all just a facade.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLight21 View Post
    Yes!! because VB6 is designed for making simple applications like calculator.. C++ is really on a different level..
    Lol on second lessons our teacher tought us how to make a calculator. Pretty easy. To the person who said he is an idiot teaching VB6 hear this: Don't fcking flame him because you dont know a shit about the education system in my country. He is not the one who decides what we must learn.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 26

Here's my knowledgeable list of info to you:

1. VB is NOT a weak language, it can be incredibly powerful if used properly. The vbGore engine for example can create 2D Rpgs and there are some MMORPG engines written in VB.
    2. C++ is a strong language...but that's it. You can't learn C++ in 2 lessons per week, 40 mins per lesson. It would take several years to a decade to master C++ on any level. So on that note C++ is actually the weakest language of them all, better to be able to create something than nothing.
    3. If you really want a good language overall use C#, it's a mixture of Java and C++ which has about 80-90% of C++'s power along with Java's object orientated programming, not as easy as VB but now adays nothing is.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I used VB6 many times, for develope applications, I created several games/pbems in VB6 several years ago.

I think it is not useless to learn, good for later VB.NET learning.