IRQ/UBS question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 69

Default IRQ/UBS question

Ok, here's a toughy for you. This is someone's chance to show off.

I'm using a Gigabyte p55a-ud3 motherboard, which comes with about a million USB slots. This means that almost every IRQ is sharing with at least one USB port, including my graphics and sound cards etc.

Obviously I don't want my mouse to be sharing with my 5750, so how can I tell? In my sys info they are labelled 3B34 through 3B3F, but those number's aren't referred to by my mobo manual.

In the device manager, they don't show up. My mouse does, but I can't see it say anywhere which one it is plugged into.

In the BIOS, I can disable the USB functions entirely, but don't seem to be able to switch any individual controller on or off.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't turn them off, and I can't tell if they are sharing.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 20

for one the number of USB ports that motherboard has is 8 on the back panel, 4 via the USB brackets connected to the internal USB headers also it should have a few USB 3.0 ports to.

Anyways As for your problem i do not know much about IRQ all i know about it is that if it has Card Type 8/16-BIT they are configurable and possibly removable,all others can't be shared or removed

I'm sure this qestion was for me,i'm sorry i do not know it.
    i'll have to study up on IRQ and how it works and get back to you on it.

Oh and by the way, Quite a Amazing motherboard you have there.
    there might be some sort of software to help you out here but i do not know

I would disable one port and assign my mouse to that port but if i unnderstand the problem you dont know what IRQ that is? well then i would have thought that would have been in the mobo manual.... i really dont know what to do -.-' i'll try to figure something out though
    Last edited by TKkira; 11-27-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Errr.... IRQ stand for Interrupt ReQuest. All the major hardware is assigned a number and the lower the number, the higher the priority when talking to the CPU. So if (for example) my mouse on IRQ 5 and my sound card on IRQ 6 try and talk to the processor at the same time, the mouse gets to go first.

So my motherboards USB ports are using 10 different IRQs, which means that a lot of things have to share. In my case, my PCI-E slots are all sharing with one of the USB ports. Now you can't really change the IRQs once windows has assigned them (I think), so the trick is not to plug something like your mouse into the USB port that is sharing an IRQ with something like your graphics card, because when playing a game they both need to talk to the CPU all the time, and having them share one IRQ is going to cause performance issues.

So now you see my problem. Windows has labelled my USB slots, but not with the same labels as my motherboard, so I don't know if my mouse is sharing with something else important. I can't seem to disable any particular port, or I would be able to work out which is which by trying my mouse in each of them and seeing when it stopped working.

I thought about just using the USB 3.0 slots, but one of those is sharing with one of my PCI-E slots, so it won't help unless I can work out what is what somehow.

Argh!

EDIT: No replies? Did I stump the OnRPG tech forum?
    Last edited by BGLamb; 11-28-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 20

okay here what you need to do. go to your device manager and go to the "View" tab click,Click the "Resources by type",then go to "interrupt Request (IRQ)" find your mouse right click and then click "properties" once in properties go to the "Resources tab" there it will tell the IRQ number.

if that doesnt work go to BIOS and tell it go back to Factory Default,then go back and chick your IRQ's right down each one,that way you will know witch one to reassign it to and know the numbers, but once you go back to factory default it should automaticly Assign its self.. so only do that Factory Default as a last resort...

I hope this helps
    my NEW rp: Mithril: Fantasy

mithril Fantasys website: http://mithrilfantasy.webs.com/

The problem is that I've got something like this.

IRQ 5 = USB1
    IRQ 6 = USB2 & IDE 1
    IRQ 7 = USB3 & IDE 2
    IRQ 8 = USB4 & Keyboard
    IRQ 9 = USB5 & Network Port
    IRQ 10= USB6 & Graphics Card
    IRQ 11= USB7 & Sounds Card
    IRQ 12= USB8 & SATA 1

So my mouse is pretty much gonna have to share with something, I just don't want it sharing with my graphics card. But the numbers give by this screen aren't the same numbers as used by my motherboard, so I don't know if my mouse is plugged in IRQ 5, 6, 7, etc

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 18

As an alternative answer, try looking into IRQ's you're not going to use. For example, if you have a USB printer, then you can get rid of the parallel port and free up an IRQ that way, or if you have 2 COM ports and you're only ever going to need one (for a digital camera for example) then you can remove one there too.

Also, surely just plugging the device into the port and it finding drivers and recognising what it is should help you find what it's sharing with.
    Last edited by Wahoo; 11-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.

I've already removed the com ports and parallel ports before I installed windows in order to minimise the IRQ sharing.

I don't understand your last comment though. It recognises anything I plug in to any of my USB ports, but this doesn't help me work out whether it's port 1, 2, 3, etc.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 18

Yes, but when you do plug it into a USB port, does it replace it with what is actually plugged in, or keep it as USB 1, 2, 3 etc.

On the IRQ page, it just lists the USB controllers, not what is plugged in. In the device manager, it just lists what is plugged in, not the USB controllers.

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 43

hm..have you tried googling around?. I'm not a very big techie but reading the OP got me interested. But reading some stuff doesn't seem like it it's much of a problem on newer boards(May be wrong, i dunno...). Anywho this seems like a interesting read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast