NetGore - C# online RPG engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Smile NetGore - C# online RPG engine

NetGore is a free, open-source 2D online RPG engine written in C#. It is cross-platform and supports both top-down and sidescroller games. NetGore comes with a large amount of the fundamental MMORPG components built in which allows you to focus more on designing your game.

(view more images)

Purpose: The idea behind NetGore is to provide a strong foundation to build a game off of, and to provide the implementation of all the fundamental components involved in 2D online games. That way, people can spend their time with what makes their game unique and stand apart from the rest. For the past few years, the focus has been on performance, flexibility, and advanced features. Recently, the focus has shifted to making it even easier and faster to create your own game with NetGore.

Target audience: NetGore is intended for online multiplayer 2D games only. Although the focus is mainly on real-time RPGs, most any kind of multiplayer 2D game is fine. Some users have already implemented shooters and turn-based combat. We also focus especially on indie developers in numerous ways, such as by including a lot of the features for you and providing a fully-functional base game to work off of.

Features: A detailed list of features can be found on the about page, but in short, most of the basic (and some more advanced) MMORPG features are built in to the engine. More features are always being added as well based on the demand for them.

Links:
    Home page
    Screenshots
    Download page

Any feedback is appreciated, either here or through the NetGore forums.
    Last edited by Spodi; 12-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Version 0.1.1 is out with a lot of new features such as quests, guilds, grouping, lighting, and more.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 26

well doesn't look horrible for what it is, I wouldn't download it until a higher version with more stuff implemented is out though :x

Just curious, what "stuff" are you waiting for? Most of the major features are already finished. Its not like you can't get started on a game before everything in NetGore is completely finished.

Well mostly I'd be waiting for someone to come up with the following things:

1. A way to make it able to create cross-platform games
    2. A game is created so that you'll improve the maximum player capabilities :P
    3. you get more than 127 users on the forums >> I personally don't download any client that doesn't have at least 1,000 people who are either currently using it/testing it for glitches.

Fair enough. I don't really have plans on making the engine fully cross-platform. The server is designed to be cross-platform (using Mono), but the client is stuck on Windows since it uses XNA. I may do it in the future, but its definitely not a priority. There just isn't a large enough market of Linux and Mac users who want a game that works natively on their OS, and are fine with using something like WINE to play. Even if it was cross-platform now, its not like anyone would even really be able to make use of it until they have a game ready.

Not really sure what you mean with #2. If you are referring to scalability issues, there has already been a bit of testing to make sure things are scalable. However, this is also better addressed when it is needed. I'd rather spend my time working on stuff people can use now instead of being able to support tens-of-thousands of players when nobody is even close to that number.

As for #3, I can't exactly fix bugs and issues until someone reports them.

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhell153 View Post
    Well mostly I'd be waiting for someone to come up with the following things:

1. A way to make it able to create cross-platform games
    2. A game is created so that you'll improve the maximum player capabilities :P
    3. you get more than 127 users on the forums >> I personally don't download any client that doesn't have at least 1,000 people who are either currently using it/testing it for glitches.
    your loss, the engine itself isn't a simple dx7 engine people are use too which is the main reason why not many people are using it. Most people that use premade engines want an engine thats easy and simple which netgore isn't.

Yeah, its not "drag and drop" easy, nor will it ever be (I simply don't have the time to do all of that without taking away from the engine itself). But it definitely isn't anywhere as hard to use as vbGORE. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get past that, it should be quite smooth sailing. The engine automates a lot of the work for you, and most aspects are very easy to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinboyz View Post
    your loss, the engine itself isn't a simple dx7 engine people are use too which is the main reason why not many people are using it. Most people that use premade engines want an engine thats easy and simple which netgore isn't.
    if I'm not in need of a game engine without the features I just mentioned, it's not really considered my "loss" or anything :P

I was just offering my input, I have no need for a 2D multiplayer engine

NetGore v0.3.0 has been released, containing tons of new features. We also improved the visuals quite a bit and added some sample shaders such as refractions (see water in second screenshot).

The engine has come a very long ways and is still being improved upon every day. There are already some games being developed with it, and we hope to see more!
    Last edited by Spodi; 10-15-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast