Game Design degree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McFox Sandwich Reputation: 11

Default Game Design degree

Hey guys. A few weeks ago I posted a topic asking advice on Computer Science. Right now I'm in my first year of a Computer Science degree but I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on my work...At first I found it interesting and stuck with it but now that I think about it it was probably because it was a big change compared to anything else I've ever done before. Right now that "new" feeling (or whatever you wanna call it =P) has worn off.

Thing is I picked Comp. Sci. simply because I wanted to work in the video game industry in the future. Now I know that programming isn't what I'm interested in though so I was wondering what you guys think of specialized courses.

What I mean is something like a degree in Game Design. Obviously the downside is that I won't have much flexibility in terms of what jobs I can do in the future if I were to pick such a degree but I'd like to think that it wouldn't be too bad since I'm hell bent on getting into the industry.

So what do you guys think about such specific degrees and if you think they aren't worth it what would be an example of a useful one?

P.S. I know I'm not giving anyone a lot to work with and I'm sorry about that =P

Borderlands PC ign - Same as forum name <----

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Lurking in the Darkest parts of your soul

I have found two websites that might help you out (one of which I posted in my own topic) http://www.gamecareerguide.com/schools/ This one has schools (duh) but also some information on them. I am currently checking the rest of that site out.

Gamedev is the other site. I'm sure both could help.

Honestly I am in the same boat as you. I want to learn either programming or graphic design but don't know how or rather where to begin.

I'm sorry that I wasn't much help.
    Pitriopia (A game that my friend is ultimately creating)

Main Forum (for Everyone): URL="http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php"]http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php[/URL]
    Blog:
    http://www.123webcreationsuk.com/blog/

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementXD
    Hey guys. A few weeks ago I posted a topic asking advice on Computer Science. Right now I'm in my first year of a Computer Science degree but I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on my work...At first I found it interesting and stuck with it but now that I think about it it was probably because it was a big change compared to anything else I've ever done before. Right now that "new" feeling (or whatever you wanna call it =P) has worn off.

Thing is I picked Comp. Sci. simply because I wanted to work in the video game industry in the future. Now I know that programming isn't what I'm interested in though so I was wondering what you guys think of specialized courses.

What I mean is something like a degree in Game Design. Obviously the downside is that I won't have much flexibility in terms of what jobs I can do in the future if I were to pick such a degree but I'd like to think that it wouldn't be too bad since I'm hell bent on getting into the industry.

So what do you guys think about such specific degrees and if you think they aren't worth it what would be an example of a useful one?

P.S. I know I'm not giving anyone a lot to work with and I'm sorry about that =P
    I've thought about this question quite a bit, but I don't really know the answer.

However, there are a few game designers at the office; I'll ask on Monday and get back to you with their response.

Quote Originally Posted by Misled Legend
    I have found two websites that might help you out (one of which I posted in my own topic) http://www.gamecareerguide.com/schools/ This one has schools (duh) but also some information on them. I am currently checking the rest of that site out.

Gamedev is the other site. I'm sure both could help.

Honestly I am in the same boat as you. I want to learn either programming or graphic design but don't know how or rather where to begin.

I'm sorry that I wasn't much help.
    Well, I can help you out with the programming side of things, if you want to see if that's right for you, if you want.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
    I've thought about this question quite a bit, but I don't really know the answer.

However, there are a few game designers at the office; I'll ask on Monday and get back to you with their response.
    Thanks that would be really helpful.

Also thanks Misled Legend, the site you posted actually helped since I checked out the Vancouver Film School there. I checked out the game design course and it seems to teach a lot of useful things which I find quite appealing. I was surprised to see that according to the web site there are very few programming classes which seems too good to be true .

Only problem is Vancouver is far (I live in EU) and the price for the course is about 40k...granted it's only a year (not too sure about what to think about that) but I'll look into it some more.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Lurking in the Darkest parts of your soul

That's great Judgement. Some of this schools have online classes so that could help as well. I wish you the best of luck.

Eriond, I would really appreciate it if you could help me on this. One of my friends is studying the graphic part of game design so I'm glad that I can finally catch up with him.

In your opinion what programming language would be a good start for someone completely new to it?
    Pitriopia (A game that my friend is ultimately creating)

Main Forum (for Everyone): URL="http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php"]http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php[/URL]
    Blog:
    http://www.123webcreationsuk.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Misled Legend View Post
    That's great Judgement. Some of this schools have online classes so that could help as well. I wish you the best of luck.

Eriond, I would really appreciate it if you could help me on this. One of my friends is studying the graphic part of game design so I'm glad that I can finally catch up with him.

In your opinion what programming language would be a good start for someone completely new to it?
    People have incredibly diverging opinions on this one. Do you have MSN? This'll be easier if we can talk in real time.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

After speaking about it with my dad he seemed OK with it as long as the uni is in Europe (more specifically the UK). Problem is most of the half decent universities that offer any game related degree tends to be something like "Computer Science (Games)"...that basically means it's comp. sci. with some talk about games in the final year...not even close to what I want T.T

So I was wondering if another degree would be useful towards game design so that, if that doesn't work I have something else to work with...I was thinking something like languages (since I'm pretty good at those) or journalism (to be honest I'm not sure what that entails, gonna check on the course at the university I'm at).

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 15

Best bet would be to go Computer Science and Game Design dual degree. Offers the protection of being a Computer Science major, while allowing you to do game design and have more on your resume.

If you didn't say that you had to stay in the UK/Europe I would have suggested my college, we just got ranked (by the Princeton Review) #5 for Game Design (Games & Simulation Arts and Sciences) in the United States.

For anyone else interested:
    http://www.hass.rpi.edu/pl/news-s17/...d-top-programs

Maybe I should add a GSAS major
    Currently Playing:
    League of Legends
    Minecraft

Alrighty, I talked to one of the GD's and here's what he gave me.

He started work ~12 or so years ago, and back then there weren't a huge amount of schools offering degrees in game design. He went to one of the only ones at the time, and was able to get training there, allowing him to build his experience.

From there, he applied for Ubisoft as a level designer, and worked his way up to creative director.

The biggest tip he gave seems to be that you should start building up a portfolio. It doesn't matter (or at least, it didn't 12 years ago) whether it's on computer; as long as you have a bunch of interesting things in there. He said he was able to show them games he had made on paper, and details about his well-designed Warhammer campaign, and how he made it, and it was mainly because of his profile that he was hired.

The other game designer, who I didn't talk to, but who is a friend of his, apparently got a degree in Cinema, and the like, and apparently, according to his linkedin profile, got a job at Ubisoft doing camera work and cinematics on Prince of Persia, gradually moving up to full-blown design.

While I was talking with the designer about this, a programmer chipped in his two cents; he says the best way to get in, in pretty much any aspect of game development is to make/join a mod, and be very active in it's development, and show that, along with a reasonable resume.

I'd still be inclined to get some sort of degree, but definitely work on a mod/build up a profile while you're doing it; don't expect school to get you a job is pretty much the consensus.

So yes. Hope that helps somewhat.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Thanks a lot Eriond!

I'll definitely be getting a degree but at least now I know what I need to do during the long summer holidays =P

I'll check out what games are mod-friendly (so to speak) and hopefully I'll get started some time soon.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast