[Another] New to Programming

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Default [Another] New to Programming

I will try to keep this quick and to the point-ish...

I've been fascinated (but very busy, until now) with the process of making games, being an avid gamer myself. Recently I have been looking into different paths to start this process and I have found they vary quite severely. Now, I can start with something huge, and gain a lot of knowledge, be able to do a lot of stuff with by learning something like C++. Or I could start off easy and learn the Game Maker Language in Game Maker 8, and be able to start crafting right away. What I would really like (I'm willing to wait being able to actually structure the game for a little while ) is to be able to make (as a first game) like those found of Newgrounds. To my understanding, those are Flash games? Thus, should I instead learn Action Script / Flash?

I appreciate any guidance.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default I would reccomend C++

It is quite a sophisticated proggramig language and you will be able to do more than flash in some elements.
    Although flash is easier it isn't neccessarily better

Lurking in the Darkest parts of your soul

Default I agree.

I agree with mrkfc about recommending C++. While it may not be the easiest to learn (especially when you are used to something else or completely new) it DOES open up new gateways. Many of the top games use C++ (or so i heard) and once you get to understand the basics I'm sure it will start to become as easy as breathing. Or maybe not.

That being said I myself am learning C++ (I'm using www.cprogramming.com and CodeBlocks) so if you need help just ask.

In regards to your BIG project (which it is for a first timer and damn near guarenteed to fail... no offense) I suggest you start smaller. Test the waters so to speak. See if you like it first. What I hear is that many people quit since they take a big project on when they are first beginning and am overwhelmed. Just a helpful piece of advice.
    Pitriopia (A game that my friend is ultimately creating)

Main Forum (for Everyone): URL="http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php"]http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php[/URL]
    Blog:
    http://www.123webcreationsuk.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Misled Legend View Post
    I agree with mrkfc about recommending C++. While it may not be the easiest to learn (especially when you are used to something else or completely new) it DOES open up new gateways. Many of the top games use C++ (or so i heard) and once you get to understand the basics I'm sure it will start to become as easy as breathing. Or maybe not.

That being said I myself am learning C++ (I'm using www.cprogramming.com and CodeBlocks) so if you need help just ask.

In regards to your BIG project (which it is for a first timer and damn near guarenteed to fail... no offense) I suggest you start smaller. Test the waters so to speak. See if you like it first. What I hear is that many people quit since they take a big project on when they are first beginning and am overwhelmed. Just a helpful piece of advice.
    I meant the language, not the project; duly noted, none-the-less.

Lurking in the Darkest parts of your soul

Heh... Anyway Ploofafa if you ever need help just look me up...
    Pitriopia (A game that my friend is ultimately creating)

Main Forum (for Everyone): URL="http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php"]http://www.pitriopia.freeforums.org/index.php[/URL]
    Blog:
    http://www.123webcreationsuk.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Misled Legend View Post
    Heh... Anyway Ploofafa if you ever need help just look me up...
    Will do!

Before I forget / get enveloped in other things, I should like to bring up that I have not the most ample amount of time (at any time) to devote to this. Is C++ something (which it does not look like) that I could grasp fairly quickly, and start plucking away at a minor game (I would be cool starting with a a Pong clone.)? Or would I be better off with something Drag-and-Drop with optional Coding, such as Game Maker? (Or even Flash.)

I should be freeing up a good amount of time soon, so... what would you wise programmers advise?

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Quote Originally Posted by Ploofafa View Post
    Will do!

Before I forget / get enveloped in other things, I should like to bring up that I have not the most ample amount of time (at any time) to devote to this. Is C++ something (which it does not look like) that I could grasp fairly quickly, and start plucking away at a minor game (I would be cool starting with a a Pong clone.)? Or would I be better off with something Drag-and-Drop with optional Coding, such as Game Maker? (Or even Flash.)

I should be freeing up a good amount of time soon, so... what would you wise programmers advise?
    A pong clone, depending on the route you go, will take a long time in C++ (probably a year+, but you set your own pace), but you'll learn a whole ton of stuff along the way that can be applied in any area of programming.

Game Maker is good, I guess, it should help you understand basic program flow (sort of), and how things work without too much time. I don't know about flash, as I've never used it, but just from the sheer amount of flash games (not a very good thing to judge by, but I don't have anything else, and I don't feel like doing research at the moment), I'd say it's not too too hard to get up and running with a pong game.

That being said, it's all up to you. You could do both, if you really wanted to. Start with C++ basics, but at the same time use game maker/flash to actually make a game, and gradually try to replicate what you can do in game maker in C++.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
    That being said, it's all up to you. You could do both, if you really wanted to. Start with C++ basics, but at the same time use game maker/flash to actually make a game, and gradually try to replicate what you can do in game maker in C++.
    I was thinking that in the back of my mind; thanks for the superb information / idea!