Runes of Magic Mini Review

Hybrid View

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 14

Default Runes of Magic Mini Review

Runes of Magic is a free-to-play MMORPG with a cash shop. Game content is regularly updated, making many of the player reviews you find out-of-date. A new major game update, Chapter 3, is being released starting Apr 2010.

Current Features:
    1. Beautiful graphics, ambient sounds/music
    2. Crafting system
    3. Player housing, guild castles and storage
    4. Smooth WASD and mouse movements, also jumping, swimming, and mounts
    5. Thousands of rewarding quests and epic quest lines
    6. Instances (definition: separate dungeons created for each party)
    7. 2 races, human and elf (new race coming)
    8. Customizable character creation
    9. GvG, PartyvsParty (new updates being released to improve these features)
    10. Auction House to sell player wares
    11. Diverse, upgradable skills
    12. Macros and add-on use enabled
    13. Magic spells don't have increased cast times when attacked (unless the attack is this type of buff)
    14. Dual class system allows you to switch back and forth between 2 different classes any time you visit a city, gaining access to unique class combination skills. This great feature allows you to play the 2 classes you desire without making multiple characters and keeps you from getting bored. (Ever wish you could play a tank that can heal yourself? now you can!)

This is a quest-leveling game, with endgame focused on instances, gear, and the various gvg/pvp options. For endgame gear, using the cash shop is recommended (or you can buy gear from players), but Runes of Magic has provided ways of using the cash shop without spending money--so don't skip this game because of a cash shop.

The game moderators also run special events frequently with prizes, and when a bug occurs (usually after a patch or new content introduced) the bug usually gets fixed the next patch or sooner.

This is a high-quality free-to-play game. *If you only like to grind/dungeon/pvp, this game might not be for you.* Instances are run for gear/money/quests and more, but not for experience points to level. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by tommyclaws; 05-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

channeled spells are interuptable,

they have removed diamond trading from the A/h because of gold sellers (they say) which has totally screwed over most f2p players, they say they will bring it back but are dragging their feet big time

in one day every single diamond in all the auction houses on all the servers got bought which they blamed on glod sellers thus pushing the prices sky high

if you were to browse the forums before they (as i am typing this) got wiped of any negative publicity you would have seen how much the players hate the publishers

56/55 M/k OB player

[stoneybridge]"channeled spells are interuptable"
    *Thanks, my goal was to distinguish the spell system from other games in a few words. This player is correct, there are certain spells that interrupt when attacked. The main point, though, is that all spells do not have increased cast times when being attacked (I hated that in WoW, I'm learning to live with it in Allods).*

"they have removed diamond trading from the A/h because of gold sellers..."
    *Hopefully this will change by the new release. Gold sellers are such a pain. RoM is aggressive when they deal with them.*

"you would have seen how much the players hate the publishers"
    *It's a bit unfair to assume all players hate the publishers. I haven't had difficulties, nor have the people I come into contact with in game. My experience is that every game has dissatisfied customers--particularly the cash shop ones. I think this is due to the game design of cash shop games in general. Also, since there are so many players in this game, they are going to be more vocal about it.

*There are certainly more features in this game to discuss and note, but my goal was to give a mini review. I've played the game for almost a year, and enjoyed my time there. The last game I played before this was a PvP grind game, and I was ready for a change and RoM fit the bill. I noticed other reviews were out-dated (with the new release my own review is out-dated), but the simple basics I listed I believe have not changed.
    Last edited by tommyclaws; 05-19-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Default The op must work for them...

As to this day in-game and outside the game on the forums everyone complains about this game. The game has no support what-so-ever. If you complain about anything at all in-game through the support system or outside the game, often times you will be banned.

They ban you for reporting harrassment, they ban you for making statements, they ban you for any made up reason they can. If it means they will have to work for their money, they will ban you.

Surely no REAL person can play this game for long and not figure that out.So the OP must be a plant. Guess they would rather spend their time surfing the net and making untrue posts about their game, rather than fix any problems they have in-game.

This game is not f2p anymore.The diamonds were removed from the AH over 2 months ago and will not be coming back. It takes over 6 yrs. to get enough in-game daily tokens to have end game equipment, so where is the f2p? There is none and they are just lying, along with the OP.

Go play a game that has a sub and play on even ground with everyone else, get real support and not ban happy, greedy idiots ruining the game for everyone.Each new update is broken and never fixed. That is the true state of this game. Don't say you were not warned, I just told ya.

Now back to looking for a REAL game...

Axe
    Last edited by axewielderx; 06-28-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by axewielderx View Post
    ...everyone complains about this game...
    Surely no REAL person can play this game for long and not figure that out.So the OP must be a plant...This game is not f2p anymore...There is none and they are just lying, along with the OP...Axe

I think this persons post is kind of idiotic, sorry. If someone posts a list correcting the features of a game from the stickied review with some opinions, it makes them a plant? I clearly state that I played it for a year and then even mention a new game I'm testing...and I warn people it's not for everyone! *takes a moment to laugh again*

F2P games have cash shops. They want you to start spending money by endgame on their game. This is true in every F2P game I've been in. Players who would rather work at playing the game free try to find ways around this (whether it's wearing your guild's outgrown gear, using the auction house, or whatever).

The only worthwhile thing this OP reported is that the Cash Shop tokens are still not trade-able on the auction house. This would upset a lot of people, since upgrading your own gear the way you want it would become extremely difficult in a f2p way. (This is nothing new though in f2p games, some other games do not allow their Cash Shop currency to be traded on auction houses).

Another reason people have complained is that some payment options provide currency immediately, and some options take longer. This too is nothing new to games.

Back to the other person's complaint, I still believe it was a high-quality F2P game (I mean seriously, have you not looked at some low-quality F2P games before?). I have not been playing the new release version, since I decided to explore some of the new Open Beta games released this year (allods, aika--which I've been playing for the past month).

**Please, don't post things like 'people' get banned and 'people' complain. If you write, type YOUR own experience.**
    Last edited by tommyclaws; 07-26-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyclaws View Post
    I think this persons post is kind of idiotic, sorry. If someone posts a list correcting the features of a game from the stickied review with some opinions, it makes them a plant? I clearly state that I played it for a year and then even mention a new game I'm testing...and I warn people it's not for everyone! *takes a moment to laugh again*

**Please, don't post things like 'people' get banned and 'people' complain. If you write, type YOUR own experience.**
    WTF...I was banned!!!!!! this damn game is ran by ban happy idiots!

JimiB
    Banned Join Date: Nov 2009

I am an extremly high level player...level 59 mage, they didnt ban my playing (I think, only my posting is perm banned,(i think) doubt il play again anyway with ban happy aholes running the place...this was the post they banned me for

Well you know I'm your friend Angel so dont take this the wrong way......but I certainly cant resist this opportunity to pile on and show I will NEVER kiss Icari's A$$ and the rest like they want in a poster!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WinterAngel
    Okay Frogster/Runewalker , GMs, GTMs Tech support, customer service Listen up. I have been the BIGGEST cheerleader of this game for the past 2 years---------- As for me I am one of their biggest critcs, and deservetly so!!!!!

, NOT one single time have I ever bashed a GM or GTM--------I take every opportunity to give them the bashing they deserve, LOOK I support this game finnancialy regularly and regularly feel CHEATED!!!!

but this is growing old really fast. I have paid my dues to this game, do I want special treatment NO I do NOT, I only want treatment every customer expects and deserves.----------Ive spent more then a pay supscription here, and my charecter is not near as powerfull as he would have been at a pay MMO...cuz you people at Froogie gouge me for puris and stuff i need!

I have played this game daily for almost 2 years now, I have been one of the biggest advocates for this game, (ask anyone that knows me) I do not allow anyone in my guild to Bash GMs-----------Once again I refuse to play Icarii's kiss my a$$ (ring or whatever of the great Lord) game!

ever but I can not keep defending a game that keep failing me and the rest of the population. After 2 years, I have NEVER seen the servers so unstable, I am not sure why nor do I care, but after this long I do expect some advances in progress here. Just as we as players need to update our computers, I expect that Frogster do the same, perhaps you have but apparently it isn't enough to keep us from this weekly down time.--------In just my year here Ive come to expect it!

This is ONLY a game, but to me this is more then a game, I have a ton of friends here I have invested time, and energy into building a guild I believe in and I have invested more money then people do on wow in 5 years. If I get a ban so be it, because honestly out of everyone I have started this game with I am one of the only ones not to be banned, I do not cheat, i do not lie, I only tell the truth and if you want to ban me for being honest that is on you, NOT ME.-------------Dont worry, they would hve already bannned me more then once,but pouriing in my regular cash cards is all they really care about lol, that seems to buy you a lot of forgiveness.

I want a game that works-----------Again you ask for too much

, I believe in RoM,--------I dont, dont get me wrong,the gane is fun(when it worrks) but I only believe in God, RoM ei Froggy regularly dissapoints me

I don't want to quit yet, I do not want to give up on it,----------I quess they know a sucker like me when they see one

but you guys need to pull it together and stop doing whatever it is you are doing and get this crap working right. Server issues are not runewalkers fault, game bugs are, atm I am talking about server issues. Bugs well ya I want them fix but that is for another day.----------Dont hold your breath their lady!!!!

I Love you guys, Icarri, Eres, Hathorne, Lazlowe, Ithiel, etc etc,--------I dont, and will take every opportunity to bash them they deserve it!!!!

You all know I defend u left and right--------Again I wouldnt!

but please all I'm asking is for working servers. I promise I'll drive down to SF and buy a round on me, if you can only keep us up and running .---------Again dont hold your breath on that one! I am currently sitting on a few cash cards, without double diamonds crap i DONT get squat here for my $!!!! Dang cheaper to play a pay MMO!!!!

( i give this post about 5 mins before it is deleted btw

Hee hee not untill they read my response...I probably lead you by a large number on banned posts...hmmm my last one I was accused of posting about exploits ei bugs...when I was just trying to bring to light something I thought needed addressing, go figure!

Default Very interesting point

Good post. I be taught one thing more difficult on different blogs everyday. It will at all times be stimulating to read content material from different writers and apply a little bit something from their store. Iíd favor to make use of some with the content material on my blog whether or not you donít mind. Natually Iíll provide you with a hyperlink in your net blog. Thanks for sharing.
    I'll check back at www.onrpg.com soon.
    [/u]
    abdominal exercise machines