OnRPG Community Project

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Default OnRPG Community Project

Just so you all know...

A while back, we had a game making contest. Long story short, a small team was assembled, and we started making a game.

Now, progress has been slow (read: glacial), but we've got a bit done; including a cross-platform client, and the start of a client/server system going down.

Here's basically what the game idea is:

Quote Originally Posted by Bacn
    Delta Cygnus
    Author: Bacn
    Genre: 2D Sci-Fi Turn Based Stategy

Summary: It's the year 2150 and several major factions are at war with each other over control of resources and territory. Meanwhile they send countless colonists out into the galaxy to collect resources to help in the war effort. But most colonists land on planets where colonists from other factions have landed, forcing them to fight by themselves to take over the planet.

Details:
    The map is divided into squares and every unit or towns takes up one square. Construction works much the same was they do in Civilization(You can also control multiple towns and they are created in much the same way), every town can build one unit or town upgrade at a time.

The game will only have 1 resource and resources are gained each turn from towns. The more towns a players has and the more income upgrades a town has the more resources the player acquires. A town cannot upgrade a town while constructing a unit. In addition to income upgrades, a town can also make construction upgrades, defensive upgrades and convert into an air or underground unit(but towns can only change unit type once).

The game also has a tech tree and research is done the same was units are created. As well as research to create certain units, there will also be research that can be done to give you passive bonuses to attack, income, construction time, etc. The objective is the standard kill everyone on the map that is standard for strategy games but the catch is there's a very high emphasis on altitudes. There are 3 heights: air, ground and underground, as well as on top of the water and underwater for areas where there is water although the addition of water and water-based units may or may not be included(all units will be available to all players. Units are not bound to any sort of faction).

Every unit and structure in the game is placed into a category based on one of the three altitudes where that unit exists in and each category has its own strength and weaknesses. Ground-based units are what every players starts with. Ground is strong against air, air is strong against underground and underground is strong against ground. Each category will also have it's own advantages and disadvantages aside from that, but they will be downplayed if they prove too hard to balance.

Units on the ground have a decent travel speed(except for scout units, which will travel faster but not be able to fight as well as normal units, if at all) and the best defense in the game. Mobile ground unites will be able to attack other ground units and air units and will have the only artillery units in the game. There will also be mobile units that must find a spot and take a few turns to set themselves up, after which they become stationary. These units will be able to attack underground units via massive shock waves in the ground. Ground-level towns will be able to be fitted with anti-air capabilities but not anti-underground units due structural damage that would causes to the town. Instead ground level towns will have to rely on the units mentioned before to protect themselves from underground units in order to keep them at a disadvantage towards them. Air units will have a very low defense but a very high travel speed. Air units will be able to shoot other air units but not all will be able to attack ground units. While bomber units will have anti-ground bombs, most units will have a type of bomb that will drill into the ground and create a massive shock wave that will destroy underground units. The air-based town will be a giant airship. It's the only town in the game that can move but it has extremely low defense. One of the issues with having water in the game is finding a way to nerf air units that travel across it, since most ground and underground units will not be able to travel in such areas at all. I'm thinking of either greatly decreasing their defensive capabilities while over it(making them easy pray for water-based units) or giving air units a chance to crash each turn when over water. Underground units will have a very slow movement speed and low defense unless attacked by a ground-level unit.

I have thought about making underground units generally undetectable unless discovered by certain units, but this idea might cause more harm then good and will most likely not be involved in the game. Underground units will have the ability to hollow out the ground below ground units and kill them easily. Some units will be able to station themselves in one spot and burrow up to the surface where they can shoot missiles at air units, but these misses won't be that effective and surfacing will put them at risk of being attacked by ground units as well. Underground towns will behave much like ground-level towns except they will be able to defend against ground units(maybe even capture ground units and convert them to resources) and unable to defend against air units.
    and you can see the project's page (which has SVN and instructions on how to grab the source on it) here: http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/delta_cygnus

So if you feel you wanna help, or have any questions, drop me a line here, and stuff'll be cool. Yes.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 19

Cool... so how many onprg'ers helping you? i mean helping developing the game?

My brother is a story/article/designer writer and he likes games like me too. he has a future plan, developing the game that he really want which good *as i read the story*

He already designed the images of his prefered character.. and that is awesome..

ill try to ask if him about this, might get his attention..
    Maybe he can help..

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 30

Shoot me a PM with some info on how to contact you or the team and I'll see what I can help with. I have a few projects going on but I'm always looking to help out other teams to gain more experience. Here is the questions I have:

What Language is it programmed in?

Will it stay open source?

Is the engine completely custom?

What timezone is most of the team in?

What is the current staff positions?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shit Sticks View Post
    F*ck, you guys want to play something together? Looking for an 4we5umz gr4f1x game. Also, who ever wants, let's go ahead and play Gamez Aion. It's a private server, yes, but playing just to see how Aion is, if satisfied, well, I'll buy it.

Lovez~...
    And who thought the forum name spoke for itself? xD

Xfire ID: MateriaCloud

Currently Playing
    Lost Saga IGN: Unknown
    League of Legends IGN: Liquidated

Waiting For
    FF14
    The old Republic

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Quote Originally Posted by JinjerAngel View Post
    Cool... so how many onprg'ers helping you? i mean helping developing the game?

My brother is a story/article/designer writer and he likes games like me too. he has a future plan, developing the game that he really want which good *as i read the story*

He already designed the images of his prefered character.. and that is awesome..

ill try to ask if him about this, might get his attention..
    Maybe he can help..
    Well, so far there's 5 members, but to be honest, everyone's been pretty busy with other stuff, so I've been the one who's done the bulk of the work.

We might need story designers and stuff later on, but for now we're just getting the technical part down. You could talk to Bacn, I suppose; he's the creative lead.

Quote Originally Posted by MateriaCloud View Post
    Shoot me a PM with some info on how to contact you or the team and I'll see what I can help with. I have a few projects going on but I'm always looking to help out other teams to gain more experience. Here is the questions I have:

What Language is it programmed in?

Will it stay open source?

Is the engine completely custom?

What timezone is most of the team in?

What is the current staff positions?

Thanks.
    The project's programmed in C++, it'll stay open source, the engine is entirely custom, built on-top of SDL ( which is a library that handles uniform networking, window-creating, input and image-loading stuff across platforms). The team's timezone appears to be EST, but that's a guess; it seems to be when most people are on, though I guess it's possible that some people are PST, or something.

And uh, positions go as follows (you can see this on the Assembla page)

Bacn: Creative Lead
    Adam (Me): Technical Lead
    Jack: Programmer
    Anthony: Programmer
    pbdestiny: Programmer

If you wanna contact me or the team, you can post here, on the assembla pages, or send me an email at adamdharrison@gmail.com; the others have their emails posted on the assembla pages, I think, or you can just PM any of us.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Dam Game Batas codes these days.. I whish some one can do some thing about it.