Is reality created in the mind or is there an objective reality outside of the mind?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 132

Default Is reality created in the mind or is there an objective reality outside of the mind?

Is reality created in the mind or is there an objective reality outside of the mind?

Murxidon's Maid Reputation: 42

=/

Arri's Animal Reputation: 126

[headupass]The idea of reality is instilled upon us the moment we're born, and until we question it, reality is often seen as your past experiences. I don't quite understand what you mean by an objective outside reality, however.[/headupass]

And unless you're colorblind Funfetti, everybody sees the spectrum in the same way.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 36

Retired Staff Reputation: 246

Do you mean the question literally (ie. Solipsism, that the world and everyone in it is all a creation of your mind, essentially), or are you talking about how people perceive reality?

Either way, you can't really know for certain what the answer is, I think. You can't prove beyond a doubt (well, usually anyway) that another person's perception of what constitutes reality is wrong imo. Who's to say that your own perception of reality is correct? In my opinion, the best way to come to a good understanding of what reality is is to study lots, experience lots, and talk to lots of people about what they think. Eventually, if you're willing to keep an open (but obviously at the same time you need to not accept anything whole-heartedly) mind, you'll come to a good understanding. Not a perfect one, obviously, because of our human limitations, but a good one.

so yeah I guess I would say that there is an objective reality, but we don't perceive it as such. Instead, we filter it through our own minds, and come up with something that is like a part of it.

V-Opolis

a blind person will still run into a wall even if they dont see it. so it has be real, but how our mind sees it can vary.

Ahh...how do I word this so it wouldn't sound as if I'm contradicting myself...

Well what I think is this, what ever we sense (as in hearing, seeing, etc) is entirely up to us as an individual person. You may think something is nice and warm and looks very pleasant. Or you can also think a fire hydrant is a T-Rex, whatever. Your own thoughts are your own and are very different from everyone else.

But the fact is no matter what you see, hear, whatever is that it's there and can interact with you. A tree is falling right towards you, you believe it to be a completely different event. At the end though, you will still be crushed by a tree or whatever you believe it to be.

Pretty much, we can control our own mental reality and due to that control some of our physical one, but we cannot change the physical reality that exist and effects everyone.

Blah, failed writing process

EDIT: Grrr V-Op for pretty much saying what i said but way better =/ =/ =/ =/
    Last edited by AioshiKoun; 06-11-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 180

text kgb, son

[01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): it's just im tired of all this
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): women need to know
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): chivalry never existed
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): knights were bastards to everyone
    [01:56] Riz (rizev): What about...
    [01:56] Riz (rizev): JEDI knights?

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

I think there is.

There are plenty of other people who have seen and experienced the same things I have with only superficial or unimportant differences.

As well, blind people who much later in life gain the ability to see are capable of seeing everything we can, they just have an undeveloped ability to identify what they are seeing. For example, they will see a square and be unable to relate the physical shape (what they would feel with their hands) with what they are seeing. They did tests where a newly seeing blind person would be shown an object without being told what it was or being allowed to touch it and were asked to identify what shape the object they were looking at had. Across the board they were unable to identify it the object without experience.

This means that we over time are able to identify objects in our environment without understanding what they are or how they relate to our other sense's understanding of the environment.

Sure, this isn't 100% proof, but it does show that our senses have to learn to identify correctly what objects in our environment are, giving a rather compelling argument that our environment is not generated by my brain but rather our brain is constantly trying to understand our environment as it is a reality outside of the brain. And you can still argue, "well your solipsist brain is imperfect so of course the consciousness wouldn't immediately understand what the subconscious has generated." So *shrug*

But the fact is no matter what you see, hear, whatever is that it's there and can interact with you. A tree is falling right towards you, you believe it to be a completely different event. At the end though, you will still be crushed by a tree or whatever you believe it to be.
    Have you yourself ever been crushed by a tree, or are you assuming? If you were crushed by a tree, are you 100% sure that the wounds you were inflicted were real, not something your brain came up with? Are you sure that the doctors and other people who treated you were real, and not imagined? Because it could be entirely possible that it never actually happened and it was all in your brain, or just a dream.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post

Have you yourself ever been crushed by a tree, or are you assuming? If you were crushed by a tree, are you 100% sure that the wounds you were inflicted were real, not something your brain came up with? Are you sure that the doctors and other people who treated you were real, and not imagined? Because it could be entirely possible that it never actually happened and it was all in your brain, or just a dream.
    If it was a dream then it was just a dream. But if it wasn't then you would be crushed. A dream is just a dream, it's its own reality where we can make it whatever we want it to be. But in real life if something happens to you, it happens.

And if it did happen in a dream then good for them, but if it was real life their screwed. There is no way we can tell if what we are experiencing now is real or not, but it's what my mind believes is reality and what are dreams. (I really hope that made sense =/, writing is definitely not my strong point )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast