Project Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 30

Default Project Unknown

It's Late I know..but I have decided to attempt this one last time and hopefully it will be semi sucessfull. Before you continue reading please note that NO positions are bad as of right now.

Project Unknown is something I decided to develop from scratch. I will be purchasing a game engine but for starters we will be using one of the basic 2D mmorpg engines. The reason for this is that I want a major part of the game to be based upon a story and make sure the players feel truly involved into the story. It will also be to test the basic features of a truly open ended system I hope to develop correctly that will not only create a balanced economy but also to make sure new players are not shied away by the truly horrific world that they will step foot in.

Project Unknown will of course not have the top notch graphics in today's gaming world but I do plan and hope to make the player truly feel part of the world. Here is a few rough ideas I have followed by a list of things we will need now and in the future.

A truly open world: By this I mean that it will be more real life then the current games. With the current "Backpack' system's in MMO's a player is able to carry a large assortment of weapons and armor on his person at any given time. In a true world this would not only tire the person from so much weight but also effect his speed, strength and dexterity in battle. If done correctly I plan to add all of this into account depending on how much a person can carry. A backpack will not be a seperate menu but yet a actual backpack a player carries on his back. Players will be able to "Craft" (Crafting will be explained later) bigger and larger backpacks at the cost of more materials.

Classes: There will be no classes, as most Sandbox games should be. However, a player will not be able to master everything. I'll add more once I think a bit more on this system.

World: The world is in chaos from two gods that....Just kidding. =/

I'll be accepting some ideas for the game world but for now there is 3 different "types" of worlds I am thinking of doing:

1) Samurai Era: There is not many MMO's based upon this era but I think it would be very easily and fun to implement a Open World MMO in this genre. As there will be no levels and players can be killed at anytime and also because well..who doesn't want to be a legendary samarui?

2) Steam Punk: While there are a few games focusing on the Steam Punk generation it's really the one I'm mostly leaning against for now. Steam Punk revolves around technology which I don't think would fit into a open world system well unless done perfectly.

3) A New World: This would be something somewhat different. It could be that the current planetary race was forced to move onto a whole new world or however else we decided to create it but would allow us to shape this new world in any direction we want. As a open source world I plan on allowing players to create and craft any items using any materials (For example a Iron Sword could be crafted but the sword crafted with better quality iron would be better and so on) and I think players would enjoy exploring something that is completely different. If we did it this way I would make sure the In-Game graphics actually reflected a new planet. Trees would be different, rocks materials etc.

What I'm currently Looking for:

Anyone with and without experience. I am in dire need of alot of suggestions, modelers, programmers and even people to help out with the community and tech support (Forums, and OverSeeirs when the time comes) etc.

I'll be adding more and more to this as I go but after a long day of finally clearing my head and realizing that apart from work and school I haven't done anything besides play games I forgot about what I actually enjoy doing and that's creating them. I hope that this will be a long project and I am willing to sink alot of funds into this as long as we can get a dedicated staff who are actually interested in creating a new world. I hope everyone here from Onrpg will lend your background in gaming and if you want to take part of this in any way feel free to let me know.

I know many things get started and end the next day but I'm willing to give this a shot and regardless of getting support or not I don't plan on abandoning this. However, I am not skilled in all areas and just like anybody else I cannot do everything on my own. With the proper help and support though there are people (even if there not on the Onrpg forums) who would like to lend a hand. Our first goal will be finding this people and getting as organized as possible.

The first day of this project will start tomorrow along with a semi constructed website, more ideas and current funds. For now I'll be the only one funding this and I don't expect anyone to help out financially at the time as it's not needed this early. The engine I'll be purchasing alone but I can say that it will allow easy developing even for those who only have a minor understanding of game engines. I will also be happy to instruct anyone on how to help develope as long as they can prove that they are willing to stick to the project.

Thanks for reading and I will be editing this again tomorrow after work. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MateriaCloud; 07-20-2010 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shit Sticks View Post
    F*ck, you guys want to play something together? Looking for an 4we5umz gr4f1x game. Also, who ever wants, let's go ahead and play Gamez Aion. It's a private server, yes, but playing just to see how Aion is, if satisfied, well, I'll buy it.

Lovez~...
    And who thought the forum name spoke for itself? xD

Xfire ID: MateriaCloud

Currently Playing
    Lost Saga IGN: Unknown
    League of Legends IGN: Liquidated

Waiting For
    FF14
    The old Republic

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

I'd love to help out in some way, though I don't honestly know what I could bring to the table, I'm a decently tech-savvy guy, taking classes to become certified in various computing and networking fields.

I'd like to think I'm decently creative, at least, so I could help come up with ideas if anything else, though I'm willing to try and/or learn whatever needs to be done.

Lemme know if I can be a part of the team, or what I can do to try and show you I wanna help. XP Drop me a PM or something.

I guess I should sell myself, or something, other than what's already been said;
    I've taken a video game design class at my high school... Though I have no memory of what engine we used, it was fairly easy, but it was also very crappy, but I remember a fair portion of the code and the rules for working with it, Uhh.. I've also taken a web design course taught by the same teacher, in fact I helped her design that class.. Though it was fairly useless, I think I could do a decent job with that. Other than that I could moderate some forums or something. xD

Well, I'm tired, hope to hear from you.

-Ginta
    Last edited by Ginta; 07-20-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added moar!

As long as you can be active, willing to learn and most importantly, dedicated, then your welcome to join. The only problem I think we will face is people joining the team and leaving after a few weeks once they realize that creating a MMO does not take weeks but years.
    F*ck, you guys want to play something together? Looking for an 4we5umz gr4f1x game. Also, who ever wants, let's go ahead and play Gamez Aion. It's a private server, yes, but playing just to see how Aion is, if satisfied, well, I'll buy it.

Lovez~...

Currently Playing

Waiting For
    FF14
    The old Republic

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Well. I can be active, I may be lazy, but I'm not going to just blow something off when I invest time into it. Just let me know what you need me to do!

Dedication is something I'll gain throughout the beginning, as I see where it starts to go.

Learning, well, yeah. All of this will help me in the long run, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginta View Post
    Well. I can be active, I may be lazy, but I'm not going to just blow something off when I invest time into it. Just let me know what you need me to do!

Dedication is something I'll gain throughout the beginning, as I see where it starts to go.

Learning, well, yeah. All of this will help me in the long run, I'll give it a shot.
    Alright. I'll contact you tomorrow after I get off from work. I'll be getting the website up and running tomorrow along with editing the first post with some more (and updated) information.

Now I just need my new thread on the Free MMO Discussion section to be deleted so I can make a new one entitled "Project Unknown"

Lovez~...

Currently Playing

Waiting For
    FF14
    The old Republic

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 13

I could probably lend a hand with tech support, and community based things,
    I've had decent amount of experience with these things,
    (Even though i'm only 13)
    Just let me know if your interested.

and with the classes.
    ii think, in reality, they should be able to master everything,
    because if you want it to be realisitic, if you took the time and effor in real life,
    you could become good at everything after so long
    i think you should be allowed to but. it would take a extremely long time
    Last edited by Valcry; 07-20-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-
    I've developed a fear of everything, a fear of openess

Xfire:crackcookie

Quote Originally Posted by Valcry View Post
    I could probably lend a hand with tech support, and community based things,
    I've had decent amount of experience with these things,
    (Even though i'm only 13)
    Just let me know if your interested.

and with the classes.
    ii think, in reality, they should be able to master everything,
    because if you want it to be realisitic, if you took the time and effor in real life,
    you could become good at everything after so long
    i think you should be allowed to but. it would take a extremely long time

I'll contact you after work.

Also, you could never master everything irl. You will always be better in one thing or another. I wrote a little bit more up last night and I'll post it when I'm back from work. Website should be up and running tonight also and I plan on adding a few bits of new info there.

Lovez~...

Currently Playing

Waiting For
    FF14
    The old Republic

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 120

depending on what engine you decide to use i could possibly do some mapping/design.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 11

I've been bored lately, I would like to join you for the experience and to have something to do. I can do some logo concepts and maybe ui design. I'm not the greatest but I'll post some examples of things I've done in the past.

Past experiences with game development and web mastering.

&

Hopefully that will suffice.
    Last edited by Reiza; 07-20-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by Reiza View Post
    I've been bored lately, I would like to join you for the experience and to have something to do. I can do some logo concepts and maybe ui design. I'm not the greatest but I'll post some examples of things I've done in the past.

Past experiences with game development and web mastering.

&

Hopefully that will suffice.
    I would be glad to have you on the team.

Tiger, the engine we are using is built to be very friendly. All developers will have a seperate Developer Client that they can log into to make changes in the game even when players are still on. This will allow us to make changes we need to suit the games style until we implement the Resource Respawns and a few other things I have in mind.

I'm going to go work on the website so if you could get on Xfire Reiza it would be great to talk about some designs we could use.

Thanks alot for everyones interest and I'm looking forward to getting started today.

Lovez~...

Currently Playing

Waiting For
    FF14
    The old Republic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast