Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Consoles vs PC

Banned Reputation: 292

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiez View Post
    Well if you say so, but having both a ps3 and a pc doesn't hurt.
    Yah if you want a console too then the PS3 and PC combo is good.
    Great exclusives on both that hardly share with each other.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 18

Quote Originally Posted by IronyTaken View Post
    Yah if you want a console too then the PS3 and PC combo is good.
    Great exclusives on both that hardly share with each other.
    Like Infamous. xD

Like Infamous. xD
    Meh I didn't really like Infamous.

Infamous 2 looks like it will be a better game though.

Meh I didn't really like Infamous.

Infamous 2 looks like it will be a better game though.
    Hmm, I wouldn't get Infamous 2. Seems like they're just milking it. First one is enough for me.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 20

ZZZzzzz....

If you really want to go by reviews PC has the most high scoring exclusives at gamespot.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...NZmd2QkE&gid=0

And PC has higher review standards. Which is why Dirt 2 scored the same as the consoles. It needs to be above and beyond for it to get a higher review than consoles.

Kevin from gamespot who is admin and editor posted this

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...373812&page=26

Just check out Just Cause 2 for the PC and you'll see what I mean by above and beyond.

Dragon Age scored higher on PC because of better graphics, better controls and smoother frame rate.

Same goes with games like Mafia 2. The PC version was obviously superior and the Consoles suffered from low frame rate issues.

There are other sports games on the PC like NBA 2k10 and NBA 2k11 which is coming out. There is also Out of the Park Baseball 10, Major League Baseball 2K9, Major League Baseball 2K10, John Daly's ProStroke Golf, Blood Bowl, Shaun White Snowboarding, Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Tennis 2009, and there is probably more but I am too lazy to search.
    I don't really see much need to purchase most newer sports games anyway because they change very little and some quick PC mods will update the roster for you.

And you seem to forget all the other games I talked about.

We also have many free great indie games.

[youtube videos]

You are very ill-informed about PC gaming.

Also another comparison.

Here is GTA IV.

Console

[gta4 console image]

PC

[gta4 pc image]
    Let me start by saying, as far as sports games are concerned... really, John Daly's ProStroke Golf, Blood Bowl? Shaun White's Snowboarding was a horribly buggy mess on the PC, and in general was a pretty crappy game regardless of platform. The only good sports game's on the PC are the manager games (if you're into that sort of thing) and the 2K series (which in many cases are subpar to their EA counterparts, the one thing EA actually gets right). And even with those you aren't getting the two of the biggest North American sports in Football, Hockey, as well as worldwide sports like MMA.

User-made roster updates don't matter when you don't have many of the games.

High scoring PC exclusives really don't matter, as I've been saying, if 90% of them are MMORPG's and RTS's, with a sprinkling of a few throwaway FPS's in the mix (was Crysis really that amazing? compared to FPS's on the consoles?). Not that those genre's are suddenly irrelevant and worth nothing, but it does little to disprove my point that the PC is a platform that mainly caters to fans of those genre's and few others... which is disappointing considering the freedom developers and users have on it.

That screenshot of GTA4 is absolutely stunning, though I can say without a doubt that my copy of GTA4 on my old PC looked nothing like that. I dunno if that's mods, photoshopping or just how it looks with the details all on high (as I had to play on lower detail settings)... but yeah, in that particular case, GTA4 looks breathtaking. Which leads me to this:

I'm getting a lot of inklings that PC fans generally seem to be "graphic whores", with lack of a better term. In my experience, to get roughly the same graphical output out of most newer PC games, you'd spend probably the same amount on the PC as you would for the console... say $200-300? Even then you'll probably experience FPS problems or some games not working at all. If you want the highest of resolutions and maxed out details, a monitor that can utilize it, all that crap... I'd say the PC would be closer to $1000 or more. Assuming you buy all the parts and build it yourself. Otherwise it'd be closer to $2000 or so I'd say.

All you geniuses who built your amazing high-res, maxed out settings, $400 computers can go piss off, because I don't believe it for one second. Taking into account...

- the case and probably extra fans needed to run cool, that tiny HP case and little crap fan you got when you bought your prebuilt PC from Best Buy probably won't do.
    - the processor (possibly a better fan/heatsink?)
    - the hard drive
    - the CD/DVD drive (probably expendable if you plan on downloading all of your games, either from Stream/other service, or pirating...)
    - the one or more graphic cards
    - the motherboard (of course, almost forgot that lol)
    - a nice stable, powerful power supply
    - the several sticks of fast RAM
    - I'm guessing a non-pirated operating system that isn't Linux (since I'm guessing we're trying to be legit about this). Linux is okay for gaming, but wine adds a huge monkey wrench as far as games working right out of the box.
    - a high res monitor? (I'd compare this to a TV, but most people have TV's already and isn't an additional cost when buying a console... and since the resolution is so shitty on consoles anyways, I'm guessing the average user won't find a immediate need for a big screen HD LCD TV, whereas PC users getting heavily into high res gaming wouldn't be able to enjoy those delicious graphics with a 14 inch CRT monitor, right?)
    - speakers?
    - probably some other crap I'm forgetting, wireless network adapter? sound card? mouse and keyboard? I dunno...

Anyways, if you want the best, there's no way you can get away with getting all of that for $400.

The PC is a platform that can be expanded (both hardware and game-wise) 10 ways to Sunday, which is great, but can definately be expensive, and if you cheap out it could a) be bad for the hardware and b) not offer a considerably better experience than the console. The console is a perfectly viable solution for people without the money or the know-how to build a PC themselves.

What one is "better"? It depends who your asking I guess.

Personally, I say console since I have the console, all the games I want and everythings running great for probably $400-450? The thrill of slightly fewer jaggies in most games would probably quickly wear off once I realize I'm down $1000 or so. Not to mention I hate RTS's and usually never get anywhere in MMORPG's, I have gaming ADD lol.

P.S: I think it's kind of funny you post a link to 230(?) free indie games on the PC that from a quick glance looks like original Nintendo graphics, then tirade two pages later about how you can't tolerate 720p resolutions...
    Last edited by Dreakon; 09-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Well sorry but your are just arguing subjectively about games taste.

The point is that there are sports games and the PC will be getting the newest soccer games and it has basketball.

And just for a demonstration my PC is worth less than 500USD and it can play Crysis smoothly looking like this.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...er/Crysis9.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/Crysis16.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/Crysis17.jpg

So a cheap gaming PC is fine.

I even posted a cheap build within the 400-500 USD range that someone in this thread wanted. They already sold their PS3 and stuff and bought the parts. Once I get him set up You will see what a cheap computer is still capable of.

And if you are going to count a monitor in a PC build then you are going to have to count the tv that most console gamers have that is 3x the price of their console.

A PC gamer can get a monitor that displays the same resolution as an expensive TV for only around 200USD.

And yes that is GTA IV modded but that is too show the importance of mods.
    You are still repeating the same tired argument that has been debunked time and again. And I have already shown you that the PC has more than just RTS and MMORPGs.

Also yes those indie games are mostly old school but there is a difference in the res argument.
    On a console the games look blurry while those old games I showed don't have much detail to begin with so it's not an issue.
    Besides I can play those games at a higher resolution if I wanted to.

I play Planescape: Torment at 1280x800 on my laptop and that games is around a decade old.

And I find it funny that you are arguing with me when you don't have a PC capable of playing games at high settings and res.

All the people who I have helped build PCs for have said that PC gaming is worth every penny and the difference is there.

Now that they can even compare the difference in multiplatform games they will stick to the PC version even if they still use their console for exclusives.

Consoles would be useless without their exclusives and it's the only thing that keeps me using them.

Only handhelds have something unique over PC which is portability and unique touch games like on the DS.
    Last edited by IronyTaken; 09-14-2010 at 06:26 PM.

So you can build me a powerful computer for 500-800$? xD I just paid 800$ for Iphone 4 >.<

So you can build me a powerful computer for 500-800$? xD I just paid 800$ for Iphone 4 >.<
    Yes I could, while it wouldn't be super powerful it would still PWN the consoles many times over.

Once Thetake gets his set up maybe he will tell you how good it is.

Yes I could, while it wouldn't be super powerful it would still PWN the consoles many times over.

Once Thetake gets his set up maybe he will tell you how good it is.
    Like can you actually build and ship it to me? Or you'll just give me the part links?

Like can you actually build and ship it to me? Or you'll just give me the part links?
    Well I am not going to build and ship it to you, but I could give you links to the parts.

I usually charge for doing stuff like building PCs and especially for shipping. The only time I do that for free is for some good friends that I have known most of my life.

I gave Thetake a build in his price range and asked him a few questions to make the part list. He then bought it and watched some tutorial videos and asked me some questions to put it together.

I don't mind doing that, but when I get lots of people asking for help it can take up too much time answering questions.

Well I am not going to build and ship it to you, but I could give you links to the parts.

I usually charge for doing stuff like building PCs and especially for shipping. The only time I do that for free is for some good friends that I have known most of my life.

I gave Thetake a build in his price range and asked him a few questions to make the part list. He then bought it and watched some tutorial videos and asked me some questions to put it together.

I don't mind doing that, but when I get lots of people asking for help it can take up too much time answering questions.
    How much would you charge to build and ship a PC? Not counting the parts.

How much would you charge to build and ship a PC? Not counting the parts.
    Well it depends on how complicated the build is and how much the shipping rate is for where it's being sent.

I am not really in the mood to do that right now anyway.

It's easier to just tell someone what parts they need and have them put it together themselves. That way they have direct control of what goes on and if they have any problems they can get a refund or replacement from the company directly.

Building a PC is not hard. With a little bit of tutorial vidz you could put one together.
    PCs are not as hard to build or use as they were in the early 1990s and 1980s.

As long as you can listen to directions you should be fine.

Thetake is not a computer tech (no offense meant) and he is building his own computer. That is actually one of the ways someone learns about computers.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
    The console is a perfectly viable solution for people without the money or the know-how to build a PC themselves.
    People who have no clue?

Coming from my vast experience (this forum) people who are console gamers (ruthless generalisation) act exactly like that:
    Clueless.

Of course such people wouldn't admit that they are clueless (how could they; they don't know they are) and of course people with zero technical understanding would have problems to understand that the shiny toy they had to buy because their friends have it (and it was in that sparkly add on TV, so it must be good), isn't exactly much more, but an imitation of the real thing.

So you are playing with the toy version of a toy;
    Kinda lame, but just like you said, if you are already one of those types who does enjoy it so much, that you can't imagine anything better (powerful argument against something better existing for the not so tech-savey crowd), you won't notice the difference anyway.

Getting a PC would be just wasting money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
    Not to mention I hate RTS's and usually never get anywhere in MMORPG's, I have gaming ADD lol.
    Well, in that case I am totally with you;
    A PC would be a health hazard.

Have you heard of spontaneous brain implosions?
    Last edited by Ronin; 09-14-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Stay frosty.

Well actually Ronin I was just chatting with Thetake and he just put together the parts I listed and got his computer working with barely any help from me.

He doesn't know much about computers and he still accomplished this.

So it really has to do with the person's desire to build a computer.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640

He doesn't know much about computers and he still accomplished this.
    Well, you know there is a difference between
    - people who excuse bad products with saying they aren't as "tech-savy" so it's better for them if it's dumbed down and does not work as intended and they will enjoy the glossy finish more than the games anyway
    and
    - people who say they aren't tech savy because they want to say that have no technical experience.
    Last edited by Ronin; 09-14-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Stay frosty.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

Not sure what you mean, but I honestly don't know that much about computers. Before this, all I had ever done was put in some RAM by myself.

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    This guy's video tutorial pretty much explained everything step by step. Watching this, and asking a few quesitons made it pertty simple.

The build Irony Suggested me was $ 480.00 and that was WITH shipping & handling.

Haven't tried many games yet, but LOTRO runs with everything maxed out even with the high spec client. I get no lag at all, in towns and in the field. The game looks really nice to.
    Relax and enjoy life