Programming memory

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 11

Default Programming memory

Well hello folks, I am currently going to college for game design, but would also like to learn programming on the side. I have trouble remembering syntax and programming in general. I can do simple string and integer Java programs but that is about it. So what I want to know is, what helps/how do you remember programming syntax and general programming? Thanks in advance!
    Turn the End of Time into the Best of Time!

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Don't worry about learning the syntax specifically, for stuff like java, the compiler'll spit out errors whenever you get things wrong, so you don't need to worry too much about how correct your statements are, just fix them whenever the compiler tells you to. The more code you write, the less mistakes you'll make, and your problem'll diminish in time.

So, given that the best way (in my opinion) to learn a programming language's syntax and whatnot is to write a lot of code, now you need some sort of motive to write the code.

My advice is to just pick a project (doesn't matter if it's completely unreasonable, it's all going to be a learning experience; hell, try and create a text-based RPG or something. All the tools you need are available built-in with Java), and then just run with it. You'll eventually have more work to do than you know what to do with, and you'll know the syntax like the back of your hand.

It just takes time.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE