Spreading Infection?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 16

Default Spreading Infection?

So I loaded up a game one day and then in the launcher screen i get the following:

and

Now, once I saw this I exited and ran my scans and such. Nothing was detected. Then today find that this is occurring on my dad's PC as well as his Mac... Anyone have an idea of what's up?

*I scanned with AVG, Malwarebytes and Spybot. None of them found anything.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 25

Those are fake anti virus programs that are actually virus's themselves. Dont trust anything that isnt big name brand like AVAST, AVG, the other big anti viruses without googling them.'

i think the real question here is why its appearing on your launcher as I usually see these types of things from pop up ads and stuff.

and you have a pretty well hidden virus there mate.

also one of the big give aways is that you have Windows 7 and the virus pop up thing has the Windows XP visual style lol.
    Last edited by Suspectx; 09-28-2010 at 06:06 AM.
    [/URL]

Haha yeah. I knew it was fake as soon as I saw it.

And yeah, I have nooo clue where this sucker is especially since nothing picked it up >.<.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 16

Have you visited any unusual sites or sites than you have never been before?
    Have you downloaded anything recently that did not come from an official site?
    Now im not much of a tech, but this trojan/virus seems to activate when you open up certain programs. i dont think the softnyx program itself is the problem, but the virus just chose to hide within its files. It has probably spreaded in your comp.

..not to scare ya ..

Anyways, What I would do .. or what most people would do..(if you havent done so already)
    SPYBOT/AVG/AVAST/HOUSECALL/ADWARE your comp .
    do whatever to remove it. If its one of those hard ones, I'd save all the files that I need (videos,homework projects,family pictures, documents) in a USB drive or so. Then system restore your computer. Wipe everything off as if it was brand new.

Then redownload whatever and be more cautious on what sites you go to....

I end up system restoring my comp every 3-5 months anyways. Just to be sure .

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 23

system restore then safemode then scan with malwarebytes antimalware, and etc

@hanji
    I've been going to my usual sites and haven't really downloaded anything besides Steam games and anime xD Also, by wiping everything off do you mean to reformat?

Aaaand, I'll try the safemode scans soon.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

The reason as to why it does not get detected, is because the program install itself onto your computer as a legitimate security software when it is in fact not.

I got hit with a similar virus as well, I just reformatted since reinstalling windows 7 only took 3 minutes, and reinstalling my app takes a few hours. I rather no trust system restore when a virus or trojan is involve. if an app messes up duringing installation or uninstallation, then I will use system restore.

Back then, I use to be against windows' UAC, but these days I leave it on because I want to know everything that is happening on my pc. It's abit more work, but the results speaks for itself.

Would the virus have installed without my consent/knowledge?

Is reformatting the best option? I've got lots of files and it'll be a pain to re download everything D:

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

Quote Originally Posted by Lilmonkie29 View Post
    Would the virus have installed without my consent/knowledge?
    'Oh hai! I'm a virus! I would like to install on your PC to screw it up, would you let me to?'

They do. They never ask and if they do, the programmer would be dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilmonkie29 View Post
    Is reformatting the best option? I've got lots of files and it'll be a pain to re download everything D:
    No. It might seem the best way, but when having multiple partitions/HDDs it could install and run off one of those.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    'Oh hai! I'm a virus! I would like to install on your PC to screw it up, would you let me to?'

They do. They never ask and if they do, the programmer would be dumb.

No. It might seem the best way, but when having multiple partitions/HDDs it could install and run off one of those.

Lol, well maybe not like that xD I wouldn't have noticed anything at all?

The sites I visit have never given any problems before, and they wouldn't seem to anytime soon. I haven't dled any shady stuff either :o

Also, I've only got one HDD. It couldn't be running off an external one if the external is off, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast