Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: American Dream

  1. #1
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 16
    Kevinboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ☼_☼
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    10

    Default American Dream

    Does anyone here believe in the American dream? Have one? Or hate it for whatever reason?

  2. #2
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 123
    Greed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oakwood USA :O Posts: 9,998,999
    Posts
    12,135
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Didn't it die in the 90's?






  3. #3
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366
    marcipaans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Director of Acquisitions
    Posts
    9,863
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    Didn't it die in the 90's?
    Was thinking the same. It died long ago. Now it's just America.....or something like that.


  4. #4
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 28
    Sparks Kincade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Currently Mobile
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Call me disillusioned but to me the American dream is dead, or has mutated into something that someone from the last generation wouldn't recognize it.

    Equal distribution of wealth, i.e. So******m, does not work, but in the same vain wealth for the few at the expanse of the many should not be allowed in a working nation.

    90% of the World's wealth is controlled by 20% of its people, and personally that ratio sickens me. That number got that high because pay for middle class laborers and people in non-corporate jobs hasn't risen to keep up with inflation but the companies they are employed by keep earning greater profits with the overflow going directly into the highest levels of management and never trickling down to the worker.

    This has caused us to become completely backward where we have a system where the person who works the hardest physically earns the least, unable to pay for services(i.e. Health care), while physically easy jobs pay huge dividends allowing him to have services they do not need to use as often.

    The Rich became richer and worked their way into positions of power to create rules that would allow to become even farther richer and to retain more of that wealth. All the while the Middle class has been slowly bleeding to death over the past 25-30 years with money it didn't have (Loans, Credit, Home equity). With the recent crash the Middle class is again been cut into a smaller % while the wealthy refuse to spend their money.

    If the path doesn't change in 10 years time the American Dream will be nothing but a nightmare that exists in the empty hole between the Upper Class and the Poverty Line.

  5. #5
    Banned Reputation: 235

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    11,116
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    "It's called The American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

    -George Carlin.

  6. #6
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 11
    uhjpae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    602
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Yup it's dead...

  7. #7
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks Kincade View Post
    90% of the World's wealth is controlled by 20% of its people, and personally that ratio sickens me. That number got that high because pay for middle class laborers and people in non-corporate jobs hasn't risen to keep up with inflation but the companies they are employed by keep earning greater profits with the overflow going directly into the highest levels of management and never trickling down to the worker.
    Controlled, yes, even owned.

    Not used though.

    What an idiotic though, giving the billions of billions of dollars to working people would not help them a lot, because money can't be eaten, nor can you build a house of money and so forth.

    What would you do with a billion bucks, if everyone had one?
    Look at the number?
    Well, you would look really stupid while doing that and figuring how to buy bread in your crashed economy, where you eradicated all the investment capital and any company in existence has to file chapter 11 because there are no liquid assets left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks Kincade View Post
    slowly bleeding to death
    There is no such thing as slowly bleeding to death over centuries.
    Where does the sense of urgency come from?I don't see much of it. The "everything is urgent" and the "we need to keep doing something asap" and the "the growth rate isn't high enough" thinking is the problem, that destabilizes the markets.

    When people forget too look at their life and stop realizing that they do not gain a better life by selling their houses for profit all 2 years, besides that they once again live in a place they didn't build, they didn't pick the bathroom tiles for an that isn't going to make them more happy for that reason, that makes a market crash.

    People who want money for the sake of money, or short people who are morons.

    You and your way of life is what drives the rents up. Not the rents, not the people who own your apartment, not the economy.

    The people who screwed up the world where people who bought a car and an overpriced apartment they don't need on a loan they can't pay back.
    People who are unhappy because they think they deserve to be happy and people who are unhappy because they aren't rich and on tv.

    @The American Dream:
    Well, tbh as long as it translates to "do random reckless stuff and figure out how to confront the problems that arise on the go"; Good riddance.
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  8. #8
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 36
    supe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ░░░░░░░░░░░ SexAppeal: Over 9000
    Posts
    1,820
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Now we call it the Canadian Dream

  9. #9
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 140
    MageMoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,573
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supe View Post
    Now we call it the Canadian Dream
    Heh, you made me smile. +rep

    As for me, I don't like ideologies.
    I'm only one voice in a million, but you ain't taking that from me!

  10. #10
    Retired Staff Reputation: 51
    illgamez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where The Wild Things Are
    Posts
    4,057
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
    MEMBER Since 2005

    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

  11. #11
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 201
    Groteske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last Year
    Posts
    11,318
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I can pursue happiness when ever I damn well please!

    But hm I'm a pessimist so I know that I'm better off just doing nothing.

    Something will fall into my lap.

    She knows how to party.

  12. #12
    V-Opolis
    Guest

    Default

    i mean everyone would like better stuff live better, so i think its always been around, just not by the name, "American Dream".

  13. #13
    Banned Reputation: 16

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illgamez View Post
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
    You said it dude

  14. #14
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 107
    gratscorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    1,348
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    The American dream.....is dead and always was dead if you ask me, very few people coming here with nothing ever achieved more than poverty and prejudice...just like they would of if they stayed where they were.

    But at least here they had the freedom and liberty to pursue that life of poverty and prejudice while still holding on to some sort of hope for a better life....lol what a joke.

    The American dream should be rephrased too "Get all the money you can while screwing over everyone even your friends and family because they are all dead weight...oh and be sure to out source jobs and exploit poor people and over work them for shit benefits if any at all and poor pay so you can go buy a Donzi boat and go marlin fishing while sipping $6000 dollar bottles of wine."

    The laws are a joke and dream idea is a joke. >_>


    scorpio
    [SIGPIC]

  15. #15
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 20
    Dreakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Silly people, the "American Dream" is owning a nice home in suburbia with a white picket fence, having a good job, a nice wife in the kitchen cooking a fine turkey dinner and two and a half children.

    You know, the good ol' days.
    Last edited by Dreakon; 10-24-2010 at 01:22 AM.

  16. #16
    Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 23
    XGrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,171
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    we talked about this in English class.... and got no where... so is there an american dream?

  17. #17
    Banned Reputation: 235

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    11,116
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illgamez View Post
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
    It's quite conceited of Americans to assume that things like life and freedom are qualities inherent to their "dream".

    I'm sure that could just be called The Dream, then. Everyone wants life, liberty and to HAVE happiness.

  18. #18
    V-Opolis
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    It's quite conceited of Americans to assume that things like life and freedom are qualities inherent to their "dream".

    I'm sure that could just be called The Dream, then. Everyone wants life, liberty and to HAVE happiness.
    hey....thats what i said. >_>

  19. #19
    Retired Staff Reputation: 268
    shadowsworn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,139
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    "It's called The American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

    -George Carlin.
    this .

  20. #20
    Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 64
    Runwiththelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,233
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gratscorpio View Post
    The American dream.....is dead and always was dead if you ask me, very few people coming here with nothing ever achieved more than poverty and prejudice...just like they would of if they stayed where they were.

    But at least here they had the freedom and liberty to pursue that life of poverty and prejudice while still holding on to some sort of hope for a better life....lol what a joke.

    The American dream should be rephrased too "Get all the money you can while screwing over everyone even your friends and family because they are all dead weight...oh and be sure to out source jobs and exploit poor people and over work them for shit benefits if any at all and poor pay so you can go buy a Donzi boat and go marlin fishing while sipping $6000 dollar bottles of wine."

    The laws are a joke and dream idea is a joke. >_>


    scorpio
    How is it possible that something was dead when it started?

  21. #21
    $$$
    Guest

    Default

    The Frankenstien Monster.

  22. #22
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 16
    Kevinboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ☼_☼
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    The american dream is a goal, not a guarantee, you have to work for it.

  23. #23
    Phantom's Freak Reputation: 200
    Hizumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,543
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gratscorpio View Post
    The American dream.....is dead and always was dead if you ask me, very few people coming here with nothing ever achieved more than poverty and prejudice...just like they would of if they stayed where they were.

    But at least here they had the freedom and liberty to pursue that life of poverty and prejudice while still holding on to some sort of hope for a better life....lol what a joke.

    The American dream should be rephrased too "Get all the money you can while screwing over everyone even your friends and family because they are all dead weight...oh and be sure to out source jobs and exploit poor people and over work them for shit benefits if any at all and poor pay so you can go buy a Donzi boat and go marlin fishing while sipping $6000 dollar bottles of wine."

    The laws are a joke and dream idea is a joke. >_>


    scorpio
    So much truth. +rep

  24. #24
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Dreams remain dreams unless you make them reality; Mine are slowly becoming just that. The only limitations that exist are the ones we create from lack of imagination.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

  25. #25
    Retired Staff Reputation: 54
    Str1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,927
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    It's quite conceited of Americans to assume that things like life and freedom are qualities inherent to their "dream".

    I'm sure that could just be called The Dream, then. Everyone wants life, liberty and to HAVE happiness.
    Say what you will of America, but that dream is imbedded in to our core; it's written in to our law and in to the hearts and minds of its people. America has made mistakes, no one will argue we haven't. But we've also tried our hardest to bring some good to the world. Do we mess up? Ya, but we still try.

    The American Dream is far from dead, but it's not being aided by emerging so******ts. People still flock to this country to pursue a life they could never have dreamed of anywhere else. People still come here to live a prejudice free life or simply one where they don't have to be afraid of their government killing them in the middle of the night.

    You want to hear a story of the American Dream? A man that my family and I know was born and raised in Vietnam. When the split happened and when America came to aid South Vietnam, he fought with the American armed forces. After American troops left, this man was captured by the Viet Cong and subjected to ten years of torture in a Viet Cong prison cell. After he was released, the man moved to America and started a new life. He worked his way up to provide his family with the best life he could offer them. While he himself never became a billionaire, he raised four children who dedicated their lives to the medical field and have all become doctors.

    Pull your heads out of your sheeple butts and stop pretending for a second that America has disappeared or abandoned what we once stood for. We've had some hiccups and we've hit some stumbling blocks, but at the end of the day we always get back up. Every day we, as a nation and as a people, work towards bettering ourselves and what we stand for. While I'm sure everyone would like to have those privileges, we, as Americans, know that we've been born with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That right is guaranteed to no other people.




    "Basically it was a ball of mechanical shit." - SandMan

    I love you.. lmfao
    I love you too

    I love Cloud13 more than anything in the world, though. His Magic...rawr

    I've also decided to have Gabriel change my username to StriWonder, when he gets a chance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •