Thread: Working on a basic C# text-based online game

Retired Staff Reputation: 75

You young'uns and your C#

Still, looks very cool. I doubt you're gonna get too many questions about C# around here, but you might be able to get a writer of some kind (though, given that you're not exactly new here, you probably know that )

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated.

Banned Reputation: 9

USA. Unified Sarcastic Anal... something...

Thanks both of you.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on it recently due to work, laziness, etc etc.

I just recently [i.e. less then 30 mins ago] worked on it for 3-4 hours, and got some of the 'major' framework stuff done.

I finished the second half of the forgotten password system, so now you can reset your password, and that works fine.

I also implemented a system I wanted since pretty much the beginning of this application. It allows the client and server to be more cooperative with eachother, and makes everything more "dynamic" (not sure if that's the best word to use).

Basically, the actions list, as seen in the combo [drop down] box to the left of the main input text box.. that's the main game commander. It tells the server what to do with the user's input, and the server then handles it accordingly.

What I did was allow the server to send special packets, unlike the ones that it normally sends, to the client. These special packets are interpreted by the client and actually allow the client to add or remove actions from the drop down list whenever the server tells it to. The language [text of the action displaying in the drop down box] is also controlled by the server.
    This will help make things a lot easier for me in the future.

On a developer's side note, I also moved all of the SQL queries and connection information, as well as a few other constants in to a seperate class, and they are called from the main class when need be. All SQL info is handled by the server, and all user input, or anything that could possibly be modified by the user [i.e. cheat engine], is put in to the query as a parameter. This just means that it is not a real part of the query - just a piece of data. This allows for complete security from SQL injection, and also allows the user a nearly unlimited list of characters they can use as input.

My current upcoming to do list:
    -Add a packet encryption/decryption system
    -Make the client check the server for every single variable (except a few preset messages ... "The server is down, please try again later.")
    -Incorporate a security system for actions. Currently, if a user wanted to use a memory editor to change one action to another in the client, the server would still interpret it as if it was legitimate. This is because, currently, all actions are sent to the server as plain text taken off of the drop down list. This should probably be changed to enchance security exploits involving actions.