Oisters Guide to: Less Monotonous Grinding/Item Farming

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Default Oisters Guide to: Less Monotonous Grinding/Item Farming

As a person who has played Maple since BETA (as well as a person who has never done a PQ), I can honestly say that I've learned the best ways to keep your brain sane when grinding for hours and hours on the same monster. Its actually pretty simple, and uses short-term goals rather than a long term one.

When you start out grinding on monsters...ugh. It seems almost hopeless, doesn't it? Well...I guess I'll share my little secret with you that I've been using for ages.

1. Open up your music program. Choose 30 tracks that you like...or, let it choose for you. I think there are options like that in most media players. Anyways, make a playlist with these 30 tracks. Try to make sure they are around 4 minutes long, or at least an average of 4 minutes.

2. Open Maple Story and get to where you wanna be. Make it a map that gives you good EXP, but isn't full of people all the time. You want a map that is kinda off the charts for normal grinding. I know this can be tough, but just look around a bit.

3. Once you're on the map, hit shuffle on your playlist and let it go. Grind through the song, killing as many monsters as possible.

4. When the song is done, change channels. This is why I suggested choosing a map that wasn't full of people. It sounds really stupid, but it can decrease the monotony of grinding about 50%. It takes 2 levels for me to get bored, rather than 1. Of course, its not set in stone...if you're in the middle of killing something, wait to cc until after its dead.

5. If you go a little over into the next song, thats OK...but if you go a quarter of the song or more, stay on that channel until the song is up, thats why I had you pick some extra songs (there are 20 channels, 30 songs).

6. Optionally, take a break every 5 songs...another reason for the extra tracks.

This is something that healthy people do when they want to have a workout routine...I guess the same principle applies to Maple, except rather than your muscles growing and your heart getting stronger, your e-penis grows and you get nerdier. Haha.

Make a playlist for every day of the week (if you play that much) or even every day of the month...that will help the task of grinding be even more diverse.

I've also found that changing channels a lot leads me to way more drops. It might just be a placebo effect, but I can't argue with my results.

It may sound stupid...but trust me, give it a try. It really makes training seem so much less of a hassle. I usually manage to get about 5-10% per song, and by the time I'm done with 20 channels, I've leveled up twice! Feels good man!

Enjoy and good luck.

Banned Reputation: 133

too bad I can't play my games and music at the same time, Computer can't handle it.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 21

What bloatware are you using that you can't run MS and a music program? I have a 2001 AMD64 processor with 1GB of ram and intergrated graphics and I run the game just as fine with MS on.

Use a program that doesn't take a lot of memory like fubar2000 or Windows Media Player 6.

Also yeah, this is a great method. I usually leave my music player off for a bit though because Maplestory's soundtrack is actually pretty good on a lot of maps.

Banned Reputation: 133

An old dell dimensions 3000 with 512 mb of ram and an integrated GFX card.

Can't even load Firefox without it blowing a fuse.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10
    Lagaard, searching for the "Grail of Kings"

Not a bad method. Though all I do is put my itunes one shuffle and grind to whatever comes on!

Keeps my mind off it!
    Life was all a dream.
    So put me to sleep.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 16

I like to play shows I like and watch in the backround while grinding. Works perfectly for me .