A player's view: League of Legends, Dota's worthy successor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    You missed the 13000+ post long thread?
    The problem is, most people here on "ONRPG" ignores long posts in threads.

Reads the last sentance and calls it tl:dr or /thread.

Makes me lol though..
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
    Mark Twain

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

You missed the 13000+ post long thread?
    yes i did believe it or not :|

in all seriousness, i did miss it.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 25

I'm going back to LoL after a break to play with some friends of mine and roll our way to level 30.

DotA is harder and probably more competitive than LoL for 2 reasons: No mastery and no runes which can unbalance a game.

HoN is pretty good too, but I'll wait on DotA 2 for now

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 19

fake story bro

Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 15

Disclaimer: Not flaming, or not meaning to.

I hear people say LoL is the easy mode all the time. Honestly I think it's poor thinking on their part which is leading to the degradation of the entire community far too rapidly.

Example time:
    1. 5v5 game. Someone leaves/disconnects/dies in a fire/whatever. The 4 man team pretty much calls it right there. Why? They now have a potential level advantage. They can push a farming advantage with fewer members. Smart use of baiting and what I always jokingly call tower humping can lead to a sweeping victory. But the "easy" game means they lost with the loss of one team member right?

2. I agree that some champs are ridiculously easy. That's true in DotA too from what friends told me about it (They play LoL everyday now btw). But other champs imo take some skill to play well. That skill ranges from skill shots to timing to knowing when to enter a fight. I main Katarina. My mindset tends to be a case of monitoring the enemy stuns and when they are used, enemy hp to nab any runners, my own hp, teammate/team creeps/wards/any other shunpo-able objects to escape with. I also carry flash and cleanse to increase survivabilty for those moments when all hell breaks loose. Is that truly easy?

I'll stop my book there (too much text ), but my point is that it's difficult in new ways. Champions are stronger faster and must be dealt with far sooner than DotA, but that was the point.
    Hmm true, but isnt that why Dota 2 is being supported by Valve and its coming out soon?
    To be honest, i played LoL quite alot and just cant get the feel of when i was playing Dota. Its a great game dont get me wrong, just something feels wrong, or like its just not the way I liked it as playing Dota.

But all i have to say is, when dota 2 comes out, Dota 2 might ruin LoL... Bye bye to most of the players?
    *shugs* Just saying.
    P.S. Am i the only one that feels like something is missing when you played Dota for a long time (since beta), then you play LoL and it just feels wrong lol.
    However Heroes of Newerth is pretty well made though i have to agree, alot of heroes are more OP then the heroes in LoL.
    But at the very least, i personally believe HoN (Or Dota b/c most heroes are the same) The heroes require more skills then half of the heroes in LoL. Alot of heroes in LoL is rediculously easy mode O.o.
    Oh not to mention the summoner spell and the free port back to fountain, God i really hate that system for LoL.
    My belief is, if you lose to a lane then you walk your *** back to fountain, and walk your *** back to a new lane or do better. Not port back for free with no CD >.>

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 65

My single biggest problem with DotA really has nothing to do with the game, but the person behind it:

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    While I originally intended to leave this out of this letter, in light of the fact that this information is now out in the open, I think it’s important to set the record straight. Many believe that Icefrog left because I wanted to commercialize, and he did not. In reality – I had learned that Icefrog had been secretly working for S2Games after conducting a series of meetings where he was attempting to sell a full DotA game concept to a number of companies (including Riot). The differences of opinion that we had were merely that I chose to be transparent and honest about the project that I was working on, and the direction my career was going. ]While I originally intended to leave this out of this letter, in light of the fact that this information is now out in the open, I think it’s important to set the record straight. Many believe that Icefrog left because I wanted to commercialize, and he did not. In reality – I had learned that Icefrog had been secretly working for S2Games after conducting a series of meetings where he was attempting to sell a full DotA game concept to a number of companies (including Riot). The differences of opinion that we had were merely that I chose to be transparent and honest about the project that I was working on, and the direction my career was going.
    Icefrog has no respect from me and he's now done the same damn thing again. First he tries to sell off DotA without being the original creator. Then he ditches HoN for Valve. Imo he's an *** and a loser. Makes me almost want to boycott DotA 2 entirely.
    (`*•.¸(`*•.¸( `*•.¸ ¸.•*´ )¸.•*´ )¸.•*´ )
    Even a chance meeting is the fate of a previous life.
    (¸.•*´(¸.•*´( ¸.•*´ `*•.¸ )`*•.¸ )`*•.¸ )

My single biggest problem with DotA really has nothing to do with the game, but the person behind it:

Icefrog has no respect from me and he's now done the same damn thing again. First he tries to sell off DotA without being the original creator. Then he ditches HoN for Valve. Imo he's an *** and a loser. Makes me almost want to boycott DotA 2 entirely.
    i agree, such an a**hole.
    this is what happens in teams most of the time......one person barely does much, and then he loots the whole treasure for himself.....i hate this kind of people.

makes me wanna punch something

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 16

i wouldve done the same thing if i was icefrog?

"hey sweet i've been updating dota for so long for free and from donations hmm i kinda do need money now though"

here come work with hon we'll even pay you!

"sweet"

come work for us here in VALVE one of the best companies (IMHO) to make a dota 2 we'll even pay you.

money drives the world around and if icefrog wants to better his career a beefy resume will help him out a lot.

the guys who made guildwars ditched blizzard to create arenanet and a good game came out of it. icefrog ditches dota and hon to make dota 2 and hopefully a good game will come outa that.

Quote Originally Posted by chakraflare View Post

"hey sweet i've been updating dota for so long for free and from donations hmm i kinda do need money now though"

"sweet"

come work for us here in VALVE one of the best companies (IMHO) to make a dota 2 we'll even pay you.

money drives the world around and if icefrog wants to better his career a beefy resume will help him out a lot.

the guys who made guildwars ditched blizzard to create arenanet and a good game came out of it. icefrog ditches dota and hon to make dota 2 and hopefully a good game will come outa that.
    there's where you're wrong, icefrog did not ditch Dota, he sold it.......he did not solely create and develop Dota, he had 2 partners, and they deserve a piece of the pie......

if Dota 2 was free i wouldn't mind that, since that how Dota was, but to make money out of it for his own profit while neglecting his old partners??, thats not cool.

i didn't say icefrog shouldn't seek to better his career, but not at the expense of other's effort, and in case of Dota, it was a 3 way effort.
    Last edited by Killplix; 01-12-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 29

Quote Originally Posted by chakraflare View Post

"sweet"

Could not be more wrong.
    Companies are not inviting Icefrog to work for their company, he is going around aggressively marketing his dota success and hoping companies will buy it.

Quite honestly at this point all Dota 2 appears to be is a quick rehash by icefrog to make some more money.

I actually hope this is not the case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast