Thread: Champions Online F2P starts 25 Jan

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 25

Default Champions Online F2P starts 25 Jan

Just got email
    I am gonna play it for sure ;D

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 62

Cool another MMO that failed as P2P turning F2P.

Good luck for anyone expecting anything more than a very badly gimped free version of a P2P game with 80% of the content locked. These P2P>F2P failures are nothing like true F2P games, nearly all endgame and other content is locked in these P2P>F2P games (DDO, LOTRO, EQ2) unlike F2P games where pretty much all the time you can play without spending a penny.

If you do plan on playing ANY of these P2P>F2P games your best off just subscribing.
    Last edited by thedudesam; 01-11-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Don't agree with what I say? Go f**k yourself.

Playing
    -League of legends- IGN Sythalron
    -Men of War: Assault squad- Send me your steam and I'll add you.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by thedudesam View Post

Good luck for anyone expecting anything more than a very badly gimped free version of a P2P game with 80% of the content locked. These P2P>F2P failures are nothing like true F2P games, nearly all endgame and other content is locked in these P2P>F2P games (DDO, LOTRO, EQ2) unlike F2P games where pretty much all the time you can play without spending a penny.

Lmfao @ pic.

But seriously, you know im right the F2P variants of these P2P games are nowhere near as free as they make out. I'm just warning people not to get there hopes up and think they are actually playing the entire game for free.
    Nothing more than an over glorified trial.

Playing

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 134

Oh, the lols...

http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix

Free - Basic Archetypes, Chat restrictions, no special costumes, and an incredibly hard time getting ANY kind of ****ing currency.
    Or
    P2P (At which it failed miserably) - Free currency every week + everything else like the retails (Which I state again, it failed at)

Oh well...

Also, guy above me, you're not any better off with Rift either...

Rock Man Reputation: 11

Lmfao @ pic.

But seriously, you know im right the F2P variants of these P2P games are nowhere near as free as they make out. I'm just warning people not to get there hopes up and think they are actually playing the entire game for free.
    Nothing more than an over glorified trial.
    But DDO & LOTRO really are. Beyond internet fees you don't have to put a penny in... Though there is an ungodly grind to get all those turbine points, it's still technically free.

Now I've said that little line, I cant help but to keep looking at that picture, and I mega-wtf every time.
    Last edited by Munkerz; 01-11-2011 at 11:54 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235

It's more for those who like decent combat and some customization, most people will play only to find that the costume itself is the only part of customization you get and thats only when you first make it.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 12

If you do plan on playing ANY of these P2P>F2P games your best off just subscribing.
    Wrong.

Most people that play F2P games never reach Endgame in the first place. Also they play many games at once or in a short time so are not looking for tons form one game really.

Most on here play a game a few days/weeks then quit. Champions at least has a higher quality than standard F2P games, so it might keep players around a little longer or at least checking in every few months.

I think it is worth downloading and keeping around as a free game.

You can earn your way through a lot of content in most P2P to F2P games I have tried such as DDO and LOTRO, its not as if you

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235

The thing I heard is, they're supposedly having a system where you can earn CS points, not as much as Turbine's system but somethings better than nothing I suppose. ^^

Loric's Lunatic Reputation: 116

Like most its not actually F2P, but just another freemium game to get the stupid people of the world to flock to it since they are fooled into the "ZOMG ITZ GOT FREEZ STUFF NAO" marketing move.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

If you go through that list and actually look at everything it doesn't seem THAT bad. Only big thing that stands out is Gold limit and 1 bag.

Aside from that, looks good for not paying anything.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 51

Damn. I really thought that this was gonna be fully f2p ;/

Super Moderator Reputation: 208

People complaining about these newly F2P games having restrictions:

You do realize that unlike crappy F2P games, these games actually take effort to run and maintain? They DO need to make money, which is why all these F2P games seem like a glorified free trial: They WANT you to subscribe by showing you some goodies and keepijng the rest away.

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 13

Oooh I may try it out to waste some time. However once guildwars 2 comes around, I believe it's no turning back from there. Hopefully b2p mmo's will be the way of the future.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 201

Ugh another p2p failure going rainbow free to play happy time.

If this game was awesome...Where are all the clones?!

Banned Reputation: 87

Is the game itself free though? If it is, p2p sounds good. I was not willing to buy it AND p2p for it. Too big of a risk...

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 30

was there any news whats gona happen to old chars? ive got acc since beta but it was trial, i still can play in it, so i wondering are they gona lock some of my chars since some of powers i hawe wount be available for f2p

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 23

The game is definitely not p2p quality imo. Aside from the unique character appearance customization, it is very lackluster. PvP is extremely imbalanced. There is no open world PvP. I don't like it when you have to PvP in instanced rooms. The only point in PvPing is getting points to buy gear.

Right now due to OP builds everyone runs around basically like clones with the same build.

Maybe with the launch of archetypes there will be more balance, but at the same time with archetypes there is no skill customization at all so you will be like everyone else who chose the same archetype as you.

Game List Master Reputation: 239

This game is fun to play if you have help with all the missions from a higher level friend but otherwise it's not an enjoyable game in my opinion. I hope this is still fun with all these restrictions

Rock Man Reputation: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Is the game itself free though? If it is, p2p sounds good. I was not willing to buy it AND p2p for it. Too big of a risk...
    I believe the game is free; all you have to do is pay the sub if you want to go premium.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281

Please, Turbine's made more money from DDO & LotRO being freemium then they did when it was P2P!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Please, Turbine's made more money from DDO & LotRO being freemium then they did when it was P2P!
    Thanks? exactly my point......they failed as P2P...

Quote Originally Posted by Munkerz View Post
    But DDO & LOTRO really are. Beyond internet fees you don't have to put a penny in... Though there is an ungodly grind to get all those turbine points, it's still technically free.

Now I've said that little line, I cant help but to keep looking at that picture, and I mega-wtf every time.
    You mean you put no penny in if you don't want any of the "adventure packs" aka nearly everything past mid game.

I doubt you've played DDO as an F2P long enough to run into constant red icon premium quests, but yeah.
    Last edited by thedudesam; 01-12-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

Playing

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281

Thanks? exactly my point......they failed as P2P...
    Your point is moot, why, because Turbine themselves have said they were making a lot of money with LotRO when it was P2P, and now have made even more money since they turned it into a freemium game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 10

I liked how LOTRO and DDO turned out after going "F2P" so im gonna try this out for sure.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 31

Let's get off of the subject of DDO and LOTRO and get onto the actual subject... Champions Online