Which book should I buy? (C++)

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 11

Default Which book should I buy? (C++)

Well I decided to start studying some programming again... I have the 2nd edition of "Head first java" but I am not that interested in the language. I wanted to know which C++ book I should buy... I know alot of people have recommended me http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5t...6528615&sr=8-1 (C++ Primer 5th Edit) but I'm kinda not sure about purchasing it since it was Published all the way back in 2004, I mean its been like 7 years I'm pretty sure the language has changed alot since then. Do any of you have any recommendations? Or will I be fine purchasing that book?

Btw I have also started watching ANTIRFM's videos on youtube, great source for studying so far, but I would really like a "physical" (book) study guide.

UPDATE:
    Was also looking at C#!
    Last edited by Waiting; 02-01-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    Currently Playing
    Vindictus - East server
    Counter Strike Source
    Day of Defeat Source

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

To be honest, I'd just start with online tutorials. They don't really skip on anything a book's gonna give you, and imho, they're a lot more accessible and less intimidating (not to mention free)

You should try the tutorial here; http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html, I think it's okay.

If you absolutely must, must, must have a physical copy, the primer seems fine (it's cheap!); the language hasn't changed one bit since 2004; the last revision was essentially in 1998, and the next one hasn't come out yet (though it's in the works, and has been for like a decade).
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 11

Thanks alot finally someone answered lol But I have gone ahead and found a couple tutorials online, some PDFs as well and purchased the book.
    Currently Playing
    Vindictus - East server
    Counter Strike Source
    Day of Defeat Source

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Lol, yeah, sorry. Sometimes you have to wait a 'lil, I'm not always so vigilant in paying attention to what goes on in my little corner of the forums.

Anyways, I wish you luck with learning C++; feel free to ask for help if you need it! (no guarantees on how long it'll take to get back to you though )
    THIS MA SIGNATURE