Thread: Game Design Contest: Testing the Waters thread

Retired Staff Reputation: 268

Default Game Design Contest: Testing the Waters thread

so I'm bored and there haven't been any interesting threads lately, so I thought why not try this.

the point of this thread is to decide whether or not this would be a cool idea. the bold red parts are the tl;dr.

1) Level of graphical sophistication? The games would all have to have a similar level of graphics (in terms of technological sophistication, that is. ie. how good with computers you would have to be to make them. Beyond that the designer would be free to do what they wish within those limitations.

This would be to keep a level playing field, and to keep things from getting out of hand.

2) Contest Issues. I was thinking that the best way to do this would be to pick a panel of five or more judges from among onrpg's best members, who wouldn't be allowed to take part in the contest (obviously)

As for a prize, I've thought of several options. feel free to give input or propose yr own.

a) everyone taking part donates 10 dollars or so to, and everyone else is free to donate to, a paypal account controlled by one of the judges. At the end of the contest, the winner will get the money.

b) we politely ask one of onrpg's artists to make a custom poster for the winner. On the understanding that we probably couldn't pay them back for their work.

c) politely ask the admins to think of a reward. maybe a t-shirt, hosting on the site, or even money.

d) as a last resort, I could sit this out and give the winner like 200 CAD

3) time limit. it should be reasonably short. no using game designs that you've already partially completed, obviously.

and lastly, does this even interest anyone? please post yr input below.

also, if there's anything I forgot, please tell me.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

I can't even imagine how that would work honestly. It would take a load of time to make anything half-decent with a lot of knowledge in programming and etc.

Unless we are talking about those "game creators".

for the record, I'm not suggesting we each sit down and create AAA quality fps games or some such. I was thinking more of sprite based, or even text games, and not super long or anything.

but again, that's up to you guys

I remember this site which you could use to create those 2D style sprite games. It started with letter "B" I think.

The idea would work but Onrpg lacks patient and determined people

yeah. that's why this thread is just testing the waters. I'm an optimist

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

What will the games be judged on?? Gameplay, story, graphics? Does it actually matter what program you use? It would be a bit to easy if you could use RPG maker xD

Ok. So checking that BYOND stuff a little further I have concluded that it would take more than a month to make anything remotely terrible to work. Then a few more to make something 1/4 decent of an RPG or anything.

keep in mind that this doesn't have to be about multiplayer games or even about rpgs. any kind of game is acceptable.