Thread: Some advice

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 102

Default Some advice

SOoo i just had this random virus/spyware/malware thing pop-up called CS remover tool, stops me loading net, ctrl+del and programs working, also pops up saying i have viruses and changes my background, amongst other things.

I got rid of it through safe mode with a malware remover.

Was just wondering if you guys could enlighten me how i got it so i don't get it again?

I've only been playing Minecraft and LoL, havn't really downloaded anything else.

/Edit now my pc just reboot itself, hope it doesn't do it again, it's never done it before till now.
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

What is your virus protection program and your firewall? Do you conduct regular scans with it? Does it offer protection while web browsing?

I'd also install a pop-up blocker (there's a few good add-ons that do it if you use firefox), if you don't have one already.

My friend had a similar thing happen to him the other day. He was using Windows Defender, I believe. Not the best of protection.

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 102

I havnt got a virus protection, unless you want to suggest one, havn't had need of one until now.

I have ABP for firefox which is always on, i just really don't want to find out my PC is gonna die now -.- havn't had another reboot yet tho.
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Download and install either AVAST or AVG. Both have free versions. I use AVG myself, but a lot of people say AVAST is better. There are a few others, but I'd say either go with Avast or AVG.

As well as that, you may want to download Malwarebytes and SpyBot Search & Destroy. Both of these programs only run when you want to do a manual scan (unless you set it to do schedule scans).