Champions online worth playing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

Default Champions online worth playing?

Or not, what's your views on the F2P option?

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 31

It's playable and the mission packs are cheap. The archetypes aren't even really that bad. They are even adding comic series weekly, which is free for everyone. Truth be told there is more f2p/archetype character than free form, because even some of the gold members are grabbing archetypes for the PvP.

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

I would suggest to skip it since Perfect World bought Cryptic,,, so it may turn everything upside down

Arri's Animal Reputation: 116
    Australia, In the Outback, With Your Dingo's

Quote Originally Posted by cernat15 View Post
    I would suggest to skip it since Perfect World bought Cryptic,,, so it may turn everything upside down
    Cryptics still working under Perfect World, just perfect World is funding it :V still gonna be the same game and still f2p
    OM NOM NOM NOM

General Manager Reputation: 353

It's worth checking out just for the character creator. You can have hours of fun with it.
    I’d rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Stop being a dirty hobo and pay the cheap monthly sub. - FarmerM

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 52

I guess you can get cash shop points from playing through the tutorial too, it's randomly rewarded and sometimes delayed though. All I know is that I felt like playing it yesterday, dl'd. I've now ran 4 chars through and got 80 points, only running alts because I want to test out my main, Red Mage, Black Mage and Pokemon Trainer ideas. Not sure what I'm going to do next.

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 13

Champions online is a great game, if you pay for it....

In the f2p options, there still is a hell of a lot of customisation, but it's somewhat limited, even the p2p has this issue, but the costume sets are quite cheap anyway. Even still, i can't justify spending a couple of bucks on some pieces of armor that i'll prob put on 1-2 characters then never pick up the game again.

The archetypes, are bland and take away everything that made them fun in p2p. First off, you get the usual class types like most rpgs (Level up, train for this skill) but after playing the p2p it just feels mediocore and boring having everything chosen for you.
    In the p2p you can choose a primary and secondary powerset AND change the colours of those powersets (Your abilities sfx will be the chosen colours).
    So after having a wiff of the p2p customisation aspects, the f2p is just a lump of shit and uninspiring.

Next we come to the pvp, it's horribly unbalanced. The travel powers 100% ruin the pvp in this game, why? Because 1/2 the people have teleport and as soon as they are in danger they just press t, become untargetable and fly up to a distant corner to heal.
    Whats worse about this is, if you choose a champion without and sort of flight power, expect to be a sitting duck and expect to do almost nothing. The zombie pvp ground sorts this out but it's still imbalanced, if the zombie is nearing death, he does the exact same thing and teleports away! If you're dumb enough to chase him, good luck because outside the 'bubble' is basically his domain and risking your death just to put him on a 15 sec timer isn't worth it.

Now to the missions, at first they seem fun, exciting, but after a while it's doing the exact same things in recoloured and repositioned rooms. It's no wonder it gets tedious after a while because your in about 4-5 zones for the entire time you're playing them game (Not counting the sewers and warehouses ect. that you go into during the missions).

To top it off, the difficulty is at a very low, it's quite easy to solo bosses and rarely would you need a group, or find one. You just hit the same 3-4 buttons for many levels to come as you plow through stiff npcs that have clunky move animations to complete some unispiring missions...

P2P Overall, 5/10. The customisation is brilliant, but the game lacks from all aspects from there on, there really wasn't anything to keep me entertained for more than a week or two, it had potential but Cryptic obviously have no idea how to make a refreshing game as you level through the content (CoX suffered the same problem, aswell as the end game problems, but they were less noticable what with having supergroups and a somewhat more balanced pvp)

F2P 3/10. The customisation is taken out, you don't get to feel what the game really is offering and i get the impression that people will think the game is just horse shit without experiencing the deep customisation you can do with your character.
    F2P Takes away your inspiring champions and for that, it just creates an uninspiring game that inevitably leads you to the brick wall at the end that Cryptic always create.

Just my 2 cents...

So freaking lulz running around with a hero named 'Pokemon Trainer' with the matching appearance battling the heinous evil of 'Team Rocket'.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Cesious View Post
    So freaking lulz running around with a hero named 'Pokemon Trainer' with the matching appearance battling the heinous evil of 'Team Rocket'.
    My friend used to be dressed as Ash, and I was dressed as Pikachu using lightning attacks xD

edit: Too bad an actual pikachu is impossible to make, but really... the ear options for head equips were enough xD

I made Dragonite a bit ago and ran the tutorial. Really wonder if it's possible to get more than 80 store points now, only takes 20 minutes to run it after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast