City of Steam - Will an industrial theme draw your attention?

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 15

Default City of Steam Tread - turn based or real-time combat

Hi everyone, I’m Shirley and I work for a small game developer, Mechanist Games. We are working on our debut title, City of Steam, a browser-based MMO in an industrial setting with steampunk elements.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise there, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is a relatively harder for us), it's an industrial fantasy/steampunk MMORPG, lightweight enough to play on even older computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive, and all stored in but a few megabytes!

And this isn't just some average fantasy world with a few steampunk elements thrown in, oh no! The entire world itself is a mechanism of gears and spokes, with pipes and boilers as ancient as the world itself. Current civilizations are build upon these, and these industrial aspects are simply part of the world's history and daily life; races such as humans and elves do exist, but they live alongside dwarves that are part-machine, robotic toilers that roam the land, and both magical and mechanical monstrosities that threaten their existence. Here is a quick look at the world that CoS is based upon:

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

We may be small, but we’re open-minded and very receptive to player feedback too. If you have any questions regarding City of Steam, feel free to drop me a line, and I’ll answer any questions you may have.
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 05-29-2014 at 05:02 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

I wouldn't mind and it's not a heavily used theme but I'm more concerned about the gameplay. From what I've seen from the artwork it looks ok but it's hard to judge anything else about the game without more specifics.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Screenshots here http://cityofsteam.com/en/media/#screenshots

Still can't judge it without actual gameplay though.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 57

This looks really interesting a nice break of run-of-the-mill fantasy, and different from Allods, which kind of took the same rout. If we could get some exclusive info for Onrpg i'm sure it would be appreciated, like how the crafting will work or if leveling s going to be the same as every other mmo out there or different :o

This looks really interesting a nice break of run-of-the-mill fantasy, and different from Allods, which kind of took the same rout. If we could get some exclusive info for Onrpg i'm sure it would be appreciated, like how the crafting will work or if leveling s going to be the same as every other mmo out there or different :o
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 11-02-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 10

For a browser based, those are quite the nice graphics. I'm a graphics whore so it counts in my book =^.^=

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    This looks really interesting
    Yeah.
    Steampunk is underappreciated, and this is good gfx for a browser-based game. Needs a trailer if you are going to be advertising.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    Screenshots here http://cityofsteam.com/en/media/#screenshots

Still can't judge it without actual gameplay though.
    Thanks for checking our website

Regarding gameplay, what kind are you seeking for?

Do you like PVP, large scenery, fierce group combat?

Do you only want to relax yourself and be your own hero?

City of Steam uses a combination of large public scenes and smaller privately instanced dungeons. Explore at your own leisure, alone or with a team of friends. Also we have community systems.

The trailer will be released soon as we're still working on it.
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 11-02-2011 at 04:31 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245

Hey, it's Jacob Two-Two in the City of Steam....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

This looks really interesting
    Yeah.
    Steampunk is underappreciated, and this is good gfx for a browser-based game. Needs a trailer if you are going to be advertising.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Yeah.
    We're still working on trailer and it will be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Hey, it's Jacob Two-Two in the City of Steam....
    Let's say he is very very interested in our game. And what about you?
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 11-02-2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast