Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: City of Steam - Will an industrial theme draw your attention?

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 15

Default City of Steam Tread - turn based or real-time combat

Hi everyone, I’m Shirley and I work for a small game developer, Mechanist Games. We are working on our debut title, City of Steam, a browser-based MMO in an industrial setting with steampunk elements.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise there, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is a relatively harder for us), it's an industrial fantasy/steampunk MMORPG, lightweight enough to play on even older computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive, and all stored in but a few megabytes!

And this isn't just some average fantasy world with a few steampunk elements thrown in, oh no! The entire world itself is a mechanism of gears and spokes, with pipes and boilers as ancient as the world itself. Current civilizations are build upon these, and these industrial aspects are simply part of the world's history and daily life; races such as humans and elves do exist, but they live alongside dwarves that are part-machine, robotic toilers that roam the land, and both magical and mechanical monstrosities that threaten their existence. Here is a quick look at the world that CoS is based upon:

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

We may be small, but we’re open-minded and very receptive to player feedback too. If you have any questions regarding City of Steam, feel free to drop me a line, and I’ll answer any questions you may have.
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 05-29-2014 at 04:02 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Hoshigami Reputation: 427

I wouldn't mind and it's not a heavily used theme but I'm more concerned about the gameplay. From what I've seen from the artwork it looks ok but it's hard to judge anything else about the game without more specifics.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

Screenshots here http://cityofsteam.com/en/media/#screenshots

Still can't judge it without actual gameplay though.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

42 Reputation: 57

This looks really interesting :3 a nice break of run-of-the-mill fantasy, and different from Allods, which kind of took the same rout. If we could get some exclusive info for Onrpg i'm sure it would be appreciated, like how the crafting will work or if leveling s going to be the same as every other mmo out there or different :o

This looks really interesting :3 a nice break of run-of-the-mill fantasy, and different from Allods, which kind of took the same rout. If we could get some exclusive info for Onrpg i'm sure it would be appreciated, like how the crafting will work or if leveling s going to be the same as every other mmo out there or different :o
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 11-02-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 10

For a browser based, those are quite the nice graphics. I'm a graphics whore so it counts in my book =^.^=

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    This looks really interesting
    Yeah.
    Steampunk is underappreciated, and this is good gfx for a browser-based game. Needs a trailer if you are going to be advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    Screenshots here http://cityofsteam.com/en/media/#screenshots

Still can't judge it without actual gameplay though.
    Thanks for checking our website

Regarding gameplay, what kind are you seeking for?

Do you like PVP, large scenery, fierce group combat?

Do you only want to relax yourself and be your own hero?

City of Steam uses a combination of large public scenes and smaller privately instanced dungeons. Explore at your own leisure, alone or with a team of friends. Also we have community systems.

The trailer will be released soon as we're still working on it.
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 11-02-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281

Hey, it's Jacob Two-Two in the City of Steam....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

This looks really interesting
    Yeah.
    Steampunk is underappreciated, and this is good gfx for a browser-based game. Needs a trailer if you are going to be advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Yeah.
    We're still working on trailer and it will be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Hey, it's Jacob Two-Two in the City of Steam....
    Let's say he is very very interested in our game. And what about you?
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 11-02-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 119

Quote Originally Posted by CoS_Shirley View Post
    Thanks for checking our website

Regarding gameplay, what kind are you seeking for?

Do you like PVP, large scenery, fierce group combat?

Do you only want to relax yourself and be your own hero?

City of Steam uses a combination of large public scenes and smaller privately instanced dungeons. Explore at your own leisure, alone or with a team of friends. Also we have community systems.

The trailer will be released soon as we're still working on it.
    Love the style, this is probably one of the only browser games I'll ever bother trying.

As for your question, I personally love PvP, and the one thing that would really make it more fun for me at least is explorable open dungeons rather than instanced. Not saying there shouldn't be instanced dungeons but having everything instanced kind of takes away from a lot from games that I've played. EQ2 did it really well by having a good balance of the 2.
    Currently Playing :
    Waiting on :
    Stuff
    AO Engine upgrade + Rebalance!
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    Xfire : Korncob | Steam : Korncob/Korncobsleep/Korncobsleeping

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 19

Soo yeah..I noticed this game says semi action..aka its turn based?
    Quoted from Kashis
    "I have a penis, I don't need to play as a guy to be reminded of that."

Every time you promote a crap browser game...I die a little inside.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 201

I hate PvP!

But hm how will the crafting be in this game? I enjoy a very interactive and detailed crafting system. Where you can make all sorts of things from weapons and armor to potions and scrolls to other things like furniture. Also will there be any player housing?

On and ending note I love games with a huge social aspect to them. I am getting sick of games where you log in and just grind till you get bored.

She knows how to party.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 758

well, it doesnt look like a korean grinder for once so you got me interested :P nice graphics

Quote Originally Posted by TobyBathory View Post
    Soo yeah..I noticed this game says semi action..aka its turn based?

Semi action means that you needn't enter into a small map or another map, but you need to choose your action strategically, to cut, to defense, or to run away (I guess you won't )

Please be assured that the response time is quite short. The monster will strike back as soon as you choose your action. And you even haven't realize that there is a round already. Be careful, or the monsters win

Quote Originally Posted by Groteske View Post
    I hate PvP!

But hm how will the crafting be in this game? I enjoy a very interactive and detailed crafting system. Where you can make all sorts of things from weapons and armor to potions and scrolls to other things like furniture. Also will there be any player housing?

On and ending note I love games with a huge social aspect to them. I am getting sick of games where you log in and just grind till you get bored.
    There will be a basic crafting system and a housing system, but i don't think it will be very complicated or sophisticated. it's browser-based, it's beta version and we're making progress constantly. Anyway, we'll try our best to offer interesting gameplay.
    Last edited by CoS_Shirley; 11-02-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: -=Doublepost=-

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Looks pretty good for a browser game. Who knows, if you guys keep expanding upon it you could have a Runescape-like success at your hands.

Just please, don't follow the industry trend and turn it into a mindless grindfest with no other purpose than to kill monster after monster.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Gameplay Screenshots of an interesting game

I heard of City of heroes, city of villains, but never heard of city of steam, recently I played Alpha version of the game, graphics are kind of beautiful although bugs still exist! I am waiting for more characters, only 4 during the test period. After all, it's kind of cool for a browser game!

Last edited by Batman1027; 11-02-2011 at 01:17 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281

Quote Originally Posted by CoS_Shirley View Post
    And what about you?
    I don't like PvP at all, even if it's optional like if someone asks you to dual. If there's going to be a PvE server then I will play, if there isn't then I'll skip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 41

you should post the link too..

---> http://cityofsteam.com/en/

game seems to be ok (for a browser game).
    I love steampunk so i will test this one but
    I dont have high hopes ^^

edit: looool! this guy just delete his whole post + added a picture of smth different.
    Epic fail. Bot?

edit2: oh there is allready a thread about this game.
    Last edited by fenix40k; 11-02-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    http://www.onrpg.com/boards/avatars/fenix40k.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1268643051

"That's why I love OnRPG, we can spend two pages
    about arguing about swimming."

Online payment not available until commercial Beta release for City of Steam.

Does this mean the game is going to be pay per month/buy the box or is this just referring to some sort of cash shop type deal?

The tabletop game looks very interesting as well.
    Last edited by korncob; 11-02-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Currently Playing :
    Waiting on :
    Stuff
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------

Yeah, for me, I just like the style and originality of the game...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 41

I think they will use a CS. Right now you can only
    buy books from their shop xD
    http://www.onrpg.com/boards/avatars/fenix40k.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1268643051

"That's why I love OnRPG, we can spend two pages
    about arguing about swimming."

If I could help beta test it I would...does look pretty cool.
    Currently Playing :
    Waiting on :
    Stuff
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------

Pellet Eater Reputation: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Looks pretty good for a browser game. Who knows, if you guys keep expanding upon it you could have a Runescape-like success at your hands.

Just please, don't follow the industry trend and turn it into a mindless grindfest with no other purpose than to kill monster after monster.
    Agreed. Mmo devs need to reach out and try new things. The genre is pretty much stuck in a rut and new mmos usually don't bring anything new to the table. Its good to have your basic grinding, mobkilling and questing but something new is needed to keep the players playing.

I assume the game's control scheme is going to be point and click? That's what I got from watching the few videos on the website. It looked a bit clunky though ofc its in early development but a good, smooth control over the game is very important. If the controls feel clunky it quickly becomes bothersome to play. Also I hope that you aren't going with the basic 'WASD' + point and click hybrid control system that most of the f2p mmo's have. It's horrible. Imo it needs to be a proper point and click, or a proper 'WASD' -system like most p2p mmo's have.

As many have said, we need a trailer. RIFT devs showed us how a good trailer promotes a game, they did it right. A good trailer wakes interest to the game and makes a player want to try it out.

Good luck there, it seems like a game I will be trying out atleast. Though it makes me wonder why you chose to go browser side?

Unfortunately, you are not living in the place they come from.