Thread: What do you look for in a game ?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default What do you look for in a game ?

I would like to create the basis of a game, but in order to do so, I need the community's opinion. In this thread, I invite you to share with us the things you enjoy about a game whether it is mmorpg, fps, rts, hack n slash ... name it, I want to know what the majority of us live for.

Example:
    I appreciate mmorpgs with:
    1. Character customization.
    2. Balanced classes.
    3. A lot of skills.
    4. A good story line.
    5. Interactive environnement.

*Feel free to leave some feedback (could be 1 thing or more, up to you). Anything you'll say will be helpful.

Thank you in advance to all of you who will post. I'll be watching over this post daily.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

High Playerbase
    Sponsored PvP
    How many friends are playing
    Beta release
    Rewards for participation in Beta
    Korean graphics
    Active (6+ hours a day) players
    Guild vs Guild
    Active GMs
    Responsive Devs
    Orchestral music
    Fluid combat-animations
    Incorporation of physics into PvP-mechanics
    F2P
    Hype

I'd rather hear about it from my friend than from an ad. That alone states whether the game's competitive scene is sustainable.

weapons and armor variety. old as it is anarchy online has tons of gear and weapons. Same with diablo 1/2 Im a loot whore and love finding gear on just about everything.

Races and classes .... the more the better I say. there's decades of rpgs around yet i see most games only support 4-5 races and 4-6 classes tops.

Skills sets and moves. The more I can work with the better.

solid crafting systems. if I can take gear and make better gear. and it's not poorly made or you need to go thru tons of bs.

enemy aI that doesnt stand around while a fellow monster is getting beat down 2 ft over.

those are big things for me. games that cover stuff well that I tend to enjoy alot more then games that limit stuff.

+How many players
    +Active players
    +Weapons and armor variety
    +Races and classes
    +Enemy AI
    +Music
    +Character customization and
    +Skills

these are what I look for when signing up for a game.
    FreebiePress - Free Stuff, Free Samples, Offers & Deals!
    Batheo|Wizard101|Battlestar Galactice|Runes of Magic

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

What I really enjoy in a game is lots of character customisation. Specifically I like a game with tons of classes and races - I don't know why, but having that choice of a whole ton of variety of different skills feels good. Having lots of classes/races gives you that oppertunity to have both a Heal spell and a Berserk spell in your hotabr, which is a rare thing to get in an RPG.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 20

An open world and great writing. Storyline is key--I hate games that think their player base is stupid.

Also, I cannot stand instanced games.

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

An intro that doesn't fill me with apathy or frustration.

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 128

Replay value.

All mmo games pretty much have the basic stuff, quest, pvp, character customization and the list goes on.

As for me, I just like the once with very cute graphics, examples are, lucent heart, dragon nest and audition global :P

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 11

a good story lines, easy map locations.. cool features system and items..

also a lot of events where cool prizes as takes.. and before i forgot.. gm's are always there for the guide us.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 12

What I appreciate in mmorpgs:
    1. An interesting and engaging storyline
    2. Character customisation.
    2. Balanced character classes.
    3. nice stylised graphics
    4. plenty of social aspects within the game
    5. open and interactive environment.

It is interesting to see, what everybody wants/likes in game. Hope this helps.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

A sense of "moving up in the world", whether that's wealth or power. Usually that means coming from being shipwrecked with only a wooden sword to your name, until after many hours of playing, an almost limitless supply of gold and all the best gear.

If anyone has ever read the book "Epic" by Conor Kostick, then that's EXACTLY the game I want. If you haven't read it, I would say it's worth a read. It might be aimed at a teenage audience, although I think you'll enjoy it if you like MMO's. (Essentially all real world disputes are solved via pvp battles in the mmo "epic" within the story, as all forms of fighting etc is outlawed in the real world.)

If I had to put it down into bullet points...
    # Huge world - (With places so dangerous that most players will never get to see, only hear stories from victorious players and many many stories of players going there only to die)

# Actual player skill - Not sure how to work this in a rpg, although I don't think there is yet a system for this. Twitch gaming isn't an option, due to lag etc and "tactical" gameplay can only be utilized if the tactics are so in-depth with on-the-move decisions having to be made that are different for everyone, so you can't simply watch a guide for an encounter and win.

# Clear Item Progression - I liked runescape's weapon system of "level 10 attack = black weapons, level 20 = mithril" etc. This gave very clear progression. These could then be modified like in Diablo with affixes to make it "Mithril Longsword of Wounding" etc. Except instead of levels, it would simply be a matter of being able to afford the item. Each set type of item would however have it's own price range.

# Item Progression Continued - Upgrading from a bronze medium helm to a bronze full helm should be a huge investment for a new player and should feel like it improves their survivability greatly. Every upgrade should be like this. No silly +0.01% upgrades. Again, I don't know how this would work, given my Player Skill, not Character Level model. However I guess higher defence and health from armor is ok, as everyone can wear everything, provided they can afford to buy it. (And lose it, if they die)

# VAST Wealth Difference - The absolute richest players in the game should literally have hundreds of bags of gold, whereas a brand new player should barely have 100 pieces of copper to scrape together. (Skillful players should be able to advance beyond this stage quickly, while "worse" players may take longer)

# Player Skill Caps - Not all content should be available to everyone. Bad players should hit a cap on how far they can advance. Although they should still be able to have fun at this level with their friends etc. E.g. Trips to kill a large black bear being a very dangerous outing for a group of 10 players with this actual player skill, whereas a group of 3 very good players should be able to easily kill this same bear. Enemies such as Dragons should require an entire guild effort from the very best players in the game.

#Permanent Death - I believe that any game without perma-death isn't thrilling enough to fit with this type of game model. Now, I'm not saying that everything you have is deleted. Instead, you items fall on your corpse (whatever you have with you), so your friends or players close-by can loot and either keep or give back to your new character. As there is only player skill, not actual levels, you can still use all your old gear. There could be a "Will" system with your bank, and a set number of items could be passed down to your new character, which you can choose at anytime. There would however be a fee for this, which many players may not be able to afford right away.

I would like to add so much more but it's far too long by now.
    TL;DR - Read "Epic" by Conor Kostick - Thats my dream MMORPG

Only thing is, no one would play this game. It would require far too much time to be played by casuals and without casuals, the game wouldn't be populated enough and there wouldn't be all these epic stories of "famous players" killing some fabled creature in far off lands no one else has ever been to. Or a stadium packed with actual players there watch the best players in the game PvP for fortunes they could only dream of having. ;(
    Last edited by Rapiidz; 06-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 39

Simple Answer Fun.

Mad Genius

Join the awesome browser game, that doesn't take your life
    TORN

The ability to become OP. I enjoy leveling up and getting better weapons/armor/etc. and then easily killing things I previously struggled with.