Thread: Notch Offers To Fund Psychonauts 2

Retired Staff Reputation: 268

Default Notch Offers To Fund Psychonauts 2

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...auts-2-happen/

We mentioned earlier that Tim Schafer would love to make a Pyschonauts 2, but can’t get the funding. Well, Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson spotted our story and suggested to Schafer that they should work together to make it happen. Multimillionaire Persson clearly has the funds to do this, and everyone in the world with their brain in the right place wants to see a sequel to one of the most joyful games of all time, so this is a thing that might actually happen.

Clearly at the moment this is a tweeted offer, not a signed contract, but it’s a massively exciting one. Tim, say yes!
    it would be pretty awesome if this worked out, probably.

Banned Reputation: 101

The whole art style kept me away from the game. I hear nothing but good things, but I still have no desire to play it or its sequel.

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

I missed out because I didn't have a nice PC back in the day, but I remember wanting to play it really bad. Hopefully a sequel wouldn't leave me confused and would be on some consoles as well.

I wish he'd fund a remake of Grim Fandango more than anything

more news!

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/minecr...onauts-2/3967/

Tim Schafer wants to make a sequel to Psychonauts. That’s not news. Schafer has talked about this many times in the past, and mentioning interest during a Digital Spy interview isn't crazy.

The news was Markus “Notch” Persson, better known as the creator of Minecraft, offered to pony up the cash to help make Psychonauts 2 on Twitter. Persson claims he’s serious about it.

“Let's make Psychonauts 2 happen,” he said.

“I’m serious,” he said in a follow-up.

This all happened hours ago, long before Schafer had even woke up in San Francisco. He awoke to texts asking him to check Twitter.

“Man, so many tweets,” he said. “I assume this is all people asking for codes to Happy Action Theater and Rise of the Martian Bear?”

And then came this one:

“Oh wait,” he said. “Hm. This is interesting.”

This wouldn’t be the first time Double Fine Productions has accepted money from a Twitter backer, with Costume Quest for the PC and Psychonauts for the Mac having been funded by fan and XE.com founder Steven Dengler.

Dengler actually chimed in today, too.

“Let's move this discussion offline,” said Dengler.

So far, Double Fine has not issued an official response, but all eyes will remain on Twitter.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 28

I just started playing through Psychonauts in light of this news, since I'd always heard so much about it. What a fantastic game I've been missing out on all these years...

Loric's Lunatic Reputation: 124

Quote Originally Posted by Kriff View Post
    I just started playing through Psychonauts in light of this news, since I'd always heard so much about it. What a fantastic game I've been missing out on all these years...
    Same here, the game is really great. One of the most innovative games I have played in awhile. I admit it isn't perfect, but it is definitely fun.

if you're playing a copy from steam or gog I think they fixed some things in the last level of the game fairly recently, so I would recommend it.