Graphic Designers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Firor's Fury Reputation: 30

Default Graphic Designers

I've been curious, as to all the artists here. Who is actually a graphic designer, and who does it for a mere hobby?

I'm thinking about changing my career paths and I'd like some feedback.
    I really don't want to be a mechanic, but I don't want to hit a dead end in graphic designing.

I want to know how far it can go, as to animation, prints, advertisments. etc.

If any of you guys can peak my interest in graphic design once again, I'd appreciate it.

Codename: Duchess Reputation: 195

I do it professionally(over 8 years experience), mostly contracting on the side now days as I have recently changed careers.

Retired Staff Reputation: 246

should read "pique my interest" btw

/spelling nazi

also, best of luck.

Pique my interest? Can I get a lead? Never heard of it before.

Also, olaph, would you say its a reliable career once headed the right track?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 137

It's a poverty stricken career unless you live in the right place or work for a soul-sucking firm.

It's a massively competitive industry and unless you really feel a calling towards it you should look into other options.

There's also the issue of your specialization. Animation, industrial, print and web design are virtually completely different worlds in terms of their industry and the requirements for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Serix View Post
    It's a poverty stricken career unless you live in the right place or work for a soul-sucking firm.

It's a massively competitive industry and unless you really feel a calling towards it you should look into other options.

There's also the issue of your specialization. Animation, industrial, print and web design are virtually completely different worlds in terms of their industry and the requirements for the players.
    Is there the possibility of going in two categories of the industry? As in, print, and animation? It would further increase the opportunities would it not?

Codename: Duchess Reputation: 195

Quote Originally Posted by TheRequiem View Post
    Also, olaph, would you say its a reliable career once headed the right track?
    I feel it is, the trick is securing a full time position (as Serix said, very competitive and saturated industry), but once you do it is quite reliable and is really fun.

Dealing with internal/external clients can be very frustrating though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRequiem View Post
    Is there the possibility of going in two categories of the industry? As in, print, and animation? It would further increase the opportunities would it not?
    There is always the possibility to branch out into multiple categories, I myself did both web & print design and am looking to become a programmer(it gives me the edge as most programmers can't design for crap).

Whelp, I've gotta get me a PS program soon.

Thanks for the invoice guys, it helps.

I may start off with a full time, while freelancing on the side to see where I can get with that.

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 69

I work in graphic design, but I am studying digital media. It isn't my dream-job but it's great to be working artistically to pay for my studies.

Graphic design is quite a competitive field. It's hard to make a solid living off of, due to organizations either A) hiring on contract, B) hiring only part time, or C) outsourcing their graphic design projects to an agency... and agencies are hard to break into.

Now I don't mean to discourage you from taking that path if that's what you want to do. Definitely pursue a career that you will enjoy. Just know that this is a difficult one to follow... but it can be very rewarding if you are successful :).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

jammart would be an awesome goldfish

Game Journalist Reputation: 67

Around 7 years ago I started it up as a hobby and got pretty good at it. I then started a study for it 3 years ago and my interest in it slowly fade away. After passing my study I completely stopped with graphic design because it is very hard to get a job in it and I must say I like it as a hobby more. Even though I was the best student in each year I just found it very boring and quite easy to do. I'm the sort of person that seeks challenges. I still do some freelance work if I need some extra cash but I have no interests in doing more than that.

edit: oh I forgot to note, I can actually make anything its not a problem at all but I lack the inspiration most of the time, I was actually thinking for 2/3hours on my exam what I wanted to create, easily finished in time though but inspiration is definitely the most important thing to have for this kind of job So if you really enjoy doing this i'd say just go for it. Why the hell not? You'll see where the ship sails. Just follow your dreams even though people tell you not to
    Last edited by Proxzor; 03-01-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast