Why windows is the best OS for game development?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Why windows is the best OS for game development?

Is it because Windows have specific feature support for example: DirectX and XNA?

also other support like huge community, windows OS is widely used, better hardware/software support and (more?) which it makes windows the best OS for game development use?
    By virtue of what do latecomers grab meritorious Dead Sea Beauty Kit
    things? It is expected for this position to be forgotten on. If you do that correctly this will work out.

Loric's Lunatic Reputation: 124

Quote Originally Posted by Edward marshall View Post
    Is it because Windows have specific feature support for example: DirectX and XNA?

also other support like huge community, windows OS is widely used, better hardware/software support and (more?) which it makes windows the best OS for game development use?
    It is because of the user base and the number of tools available for Windows.
    I believe the Linux user base is around 5.1% and the Mac user base is around 10%. Probably half of those Linux users are servers and not actually targetable for gaming.

This makes Windows the most viable development platform, even for cross platform software it is most times easier to do on Windows due to the amount of tools available.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

I agree with Endrien. Windows has the largest userbase, therefore making it the largest market of potential buyers.

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Yup; endrien's exactly right. The main reason to develop on windows is the tool support (Visual Studio, etc..) and engine support (Unreal, etc..).

It certainly isn't developer convenience, I'll tell you that
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

6.5 million people downloaded angry birds on Christmas day...

A lot of my friends that did get jobs or applied there skills independently are developing for mac iOS, iphone iOS, blackberry os, android os. They all use opengl, lets not forget about linux os, sony playstation 3, ps vita, nintendo 3ds.

They are both at the same level of functionality, open gl is cross-platform and more portable though, and if you wikipedia opengl, you'll find lots of games that used the opengl renderer.

Yes, angry birds was written in opengl...

You should still learn directx first, i did it backwards and wished I had started with direct x.
    Been A Member Since May of 2005

Fat Bowser Reputation: 10

I dunno I find the opposite. OpenGL is much more useful to learn first assuming you are learning 3.2 or above (none of that matrix push/pop garbage). Learn OpenGL, learn to write your own shaders if you are gonna do graphics. DirectX is great and all but it is more about learning the API while OpenGL is more about learning the rendering pipeline.

As said above for AAA and Indie Console/PC development you can't beat the tools available in Windows. For Mobile/Social it does not really matter as much. Almost all mainstream PC and Console development is still done entirely in C++, even the Indie titles. Everything else is pretty limited to phones, XBLC, Web, or similar. There are very few exceptions to that which are published. Tools like XNA are great to get started and get games out there but if the game is ever picked up for anything it will probably get recoded.

Getting some exposure to middleware is a good idea too (Havok, PhysX, FMod, DX, etc). Thats another advantage towards Windows/PC development because many of the engines like Unity and Unreal already bake those in for you.