Roll to Dodge! (COME ONE, COME ALL; THIS IS DIFFERENT AND NEW)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴ Reputation: 534

Default Roll to Dodge! (COME ONE, COME ALL; THIS IS DIFFERENT AND NEW)

THE WAITING LIST! When a character dies, the person who is the FIRST listed on this list will be able to make a character and join in! People whose character has just died are most welcome to immediately place themselves back on the waiting list. I doubt this thing will get very full, anyway.

The list:
    1.farag0rn
    2.Ouriel

So I recently found out about this and want to give it a trial run before I introduce it to the RPing forum. That forum is slowly dying and I'd like to inject some life into it. And hopefully by saying that I don't suck all the hope from you guys. I'm still your faithful moderator!

Pretty much, in a gist, you try to perform an action and I roll a six sided dice with the outcome determining how well you performed that action. The games tend to be pretty fun and funny, requiring minimal effort for the amount of amusement they provide.

Rules shamelessly stolen from another website:

The GM (Game Master) posts a situation the players are in. The players then post their actions, according to the conditions GM sets. The GM then rolls for the actions' results, and writes them out in his post. Then the players post actions again, ad infinitum.

The action results are defined by a six-sided die roll:
    [1]: Epic Fail. Your efforts only worsened your situation.
    [2]: Fail. Your skills or luck were insufficient.
    [3]: Meager success: The situation didn't improve by as much as you have intended.
    [4]: Success: Your efforts were sufficient to achieve your goal.
    [5]: Epic Success: Your skills and luck have combined to ensure your success.
    [6]: Overshot: Your efforts were more than required for the goal's completion, and your luck is such that unfortunate side-effects are inevitable.
    It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. Actions can be as simple as "try to kill the rat," or "stab the giant in the face" or "try to hail a taxi."

So, I'll limit it to about seven of you guys joining in, and we'll see how it goes. What I need you to do: Make a character sheet, read the starting description, and make a first action.

Name:

If you don't get in, don't worry, characters are sure to die off in fun and spectacular ways for everyone involved. I'll have a rotating waiting list so hopefully everyone gets a chance.

The goal of the game, of course, will be to rescue the princess from the castle. Who has taken her? What lives inside the castle? Who will rescue her first and get the reward? All of that is up to you guys to find out.

Preliminary description: It is a dark and stormy night, and before you, looming in the wet darkness, is the growing shape of a dark castle. It is rumored that here lives the Dark Lord of Darkness, a rumor that is told in many dark and cold corners of taverns in the kingdom. You have been lured here by heralds promising a reward of riches if you rescue the princess from this castle. They had little information to give, though, so you're on your own to figure that out.

You, and your fellow bounty hunters, are stopped by the metal gate of the metal fence that surrounds the castle grounds. It is twelve feet tall, and menaces with spikes. It would sure be painful to attempt to climb over, and the gate is obviously locked. What dost thou do?

Current character list

Player: Takesh
    Name: Herbert Walsh
    History: Herbert was a poor farmer who accidentally stumbled on a diamond the size of a human skull. Since Herbert isn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen, he traded the diamond for a set of knives and leather armor. Also while he was trading, raiders burned down his fields and house. With nothing left but a set of knives and leather armor, Herbert sought to become a bounty hunter.
    Player: Essishore34
    Name: Brandy Van Brey
    History: Brandy was at one time a very rich woman whom had everything she wanted. But when her mother passed away and left everything to Brandy's brother, Nicholas, she was thrown out on the street like trash. Not that Brandy didn't see it coming, she always had a rocky relationship with her mother. So, after much time spent selling and trading goods, she decided to take up the life of a bounty hunter with what little resources she had.
    Player: Phenoca
    Name: Diego
    History: Once upon a time, a random RP-character came into existence; he wasn't very mysterious or interesting, and was in search of the legendary THREE-SIDED DIE OF DESTINY in order to save his Kingdom from boredom (yeah, he's a prince with a longsword).
    Player: Readster
    Name:Christopher 'Shifty' James
    History:After his parents tragic death at a young age he grew up on the streets, getting into many fights and honing his battle skills. He got his nickname from the opinion most people got from seeing him standing around.
    Player: Befram
    Name: Gildon Tice
    History:Gildon was originally a butler working for a wealthy merchant family, that was until they went bankrupt. Feeling his luck and pay drift away Gildon freed his former employers from some pesky silver cuttlery and a dagger in one of the display cases and went away in search for somewhere else to make a few pennies.
    Player: lokuri
    Name: Lilian "Lady" Tristone
    History: Lilian always knew she was beautiful, always ready to charm a man. Unfortunately, her awareness of her beauty has made her a bit of a...narcissist. Hoping to satisfy her need for beauty AND fortune, Lilian decided to gain wealth the hard way: by seducing a few bounty-hunters into..."sharing" their future treasures.
    Last edited by Xenonight2; 05-09-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 17

Oh gosh, why didn't I notice this one before? I can't wait to see all the hilarious situations people are going to get into ^^.

A few questions!
    So I give an action which I want to try and you decide with the dice whether it succeeds or not? Is umm.. any kind of action allowed no matter how ridiculous and unrealistic(like say.. punching through a concrete wall)? Just how over-the-top can I go with the actions?

Name: Herbert Walsh
    History: Herbert was a poor farmer who accidentally stumbled on a diamond the size of a human skull. Since Herbert isn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen, he traded the diamond for a set of knives and leather armor. Also while he was trading, raiders burned down his fields and house. With nothing left but a set of knives and leather armor, Herbert sought to become a bounty hunter.

So I give an action which I want to try and you decide with the dice whether it succeeds or not? Is umm.. any kind of action allowed no matter how ridiculous and unrealistic(like say.. punching through a concrete wall)? Just how over-the-top can I go with the actions?
    Realistic for your character.

Say, you want to roll to go the moon. You would have to do subsequent rolls to roll for getting the materials together for a spaceship, getting an engineering degree to learn how to make the spaceship, etc, etc. So, chances are, you won't succeed.

For punching through a concrete wall, I'd still perform the roll, but I'd change the outcome of the roll to something realistic to what your character could perform. So if your character is a librarian who's muscular from lifting really heavy books all day, you might be able to punch a hole in it on a roll of 5, but a character who is a lithe elf who likes to eat candy, would only be able to make a slight dent on a roll of 5.

My recommendation is that you only go over the top if the situation asks for it. Otherwise, play it a bit safe. The outcomes should be ridiculous enough without you trying.

Good questions!

Please tell your friends about this, btw.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Name: Brandy Van Brey
    History: Brandy was at one time a very rich woman whom had everything she wanted. But when her mother passed away and left everything to Brandy's brother, Nicholas, she was thrown out on the street like trash. Not that Brandy didn't see it coming, she always had a rocky relationship with her mother. So, after much time spent selling and trading goods, she decided to take up the life of a bounty hunter with what little resources she had.

This sounds cool, I'll give it a try.
    http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/loserdesign/essiisssss.png

Welcome! Glad you could join!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Name: Diego
    History: Once upon a time, a random RP-character came into existence; he wasn't very mysterious or interesting, and was in search of the legendary THREE-SIDED DIE OF DESTINY in order to save his Kingdom from boredom (yeah, he's a prince with a longsword).

don't worry, characters are sure to die off
    *salute*

What lives inside the castle?
    The princess.

Or maybe... We are supposed to rescue the castle from the princess!

Dark Lord of Darkness
    Is he a nice guy? I'll go ask him for advice on where to find the Three-Sided Die (Dice) of Destiny.

They had little information to give, though, so you're on your own to figure that out.
    **** That.

What dost thou do?
    I sneak-off from the group, kill the heralds and take their potions. ROLL
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Welcome!

One or two more people and we'll start.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Name:Christopher 'Shifty' James
    History:After his parents tragic death at a young age he grew up on the streets, getting into many fights and honing his battle skills. He got his nickname from the opinion most people got from seeing him standing around.

This sounds like my kind of RP. Sounds kind of like a simplified D&D.
    It'll be nice to see some life on this forum again as well, it's been rather dry lately.
    Last edited by Readster; 04-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 14
    A Sweden, not filled with snow! Long live spring.

Ah why not, this seems like a fun way to pass the time. Not having to think too throughly about the character sheet is nice. Except that the most difficult part is there as always, the name... Hmm, I got it! Or actually random google searches got it.

Name: Gildon Tice
    History:Gildon was originally a butler working for a wealthy merchant family, that was until they went bankrupt. Feeling his luck and pay drift away Gildon freed his former employers from some pesky silver cuttlery and a dagger in one of the display cases and went away in search for somewhere else to make a few pennies.

Okay guys! It seems you all forgot to make your initial action. Here's the description again:

You, and your fellow bounty hunters, are stopped by the metal gate of the metal fence that surrounds the castle grounds. It is twelve feet tall, and menaces with spikes. It would sure be painful to attempt to climb over, and the gate is obviously locked. What dost thou do?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast