Something's been bugging me - Clones

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 14

Default Something's been bugging me - Clones

Now, i'm not here to bash any game nor say they are bad etc etc.

But one thing, why is almost every game coming out tagged as a WoW clone?

First of all, I play WoW. And yes it's got a lot of features other games have implemented, and yes sometimes the graphics style can look similar.

But it goes like this:

Man: "Hey, you played Rift yet?"
    Shemale: "It's just a WoW clone.."
    Man: "What do you mean WoW Clone? "
    Shemale: "Runes Of Magic, Allods, LOTRO, Forsaken World, Aion, Mario Bros Wii, all wow clones"
    Shemales Mother: "WoW's a Everquest Clone"
    Shemale "......."

A bit random i know, but you get my point? EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING is gonna have some similarities to another, Music, Games, Movies, Chocolate Bars..EVERYTHING. But you don't hear people saying "Oh you heard that band Nickleback? Yeah, total Bon Jovi clone" NO! NO! NO! NO!

Bottom Line: This clone tagging needs to stop. Like i say theres gonna be similarities, it's bound to happen, doesn't mean it's a clone. And if it's not gonna stop, then you WoW fanboys need to stop acting like everyones cloning you and you're the victims here, because it can just as easily be said that you cloned everquest. And for Everquest fans, You cloned Ultima Online bla bla bla, It's an endless cycle and it's gotta stop.

tl;dr: If a game comes out first, then games after it is gonna be getting tagged the first games clone. It's ridiculous and has to stop.

FEED THE TROLLS!

Rant Over

Game Journalist Reputation: 10

Can't believe no one has said this, but this post has totally been done before. Complete clone....

In all seriousness though I've had this problem since I started playing Rift. I'd heard it before then but was just happy knowing that I was a part of the early days of EQ and that meant I'd been around longer than anyone who got their start in MMOs with WoW.

Surprisingly this hasn't happened with the Super Hero MMOs. I guess everyone just knows that City of Heroes has been around longer than any of the new guys, and does it better.

Now what really annoys me is die hard WoW players who have never played the originals. Whats up with that?
    Currently Playing
    The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars
    Waiting For
    Elder Scrolls, Everquest Next, The Division, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Previously Played
    Everquest, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, TERA, Neverwinter, Rift

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

Still waiting for Star Wars - Attack of the Clones.

But seriously, some games deserved to be called 'clones'. Like DoTA 2 (and a lot of other games) is a clone of DoTA. Civilization V is a clone of Civilization. D3 (and a lot of other games) is a clone of D2.

Basically, if they share the same combat, movement, and interface... Then it is a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by MeticulousMeta View Post
    Can't believe no one has said this, but this post has totally been done before. Complete clone....
    Ha..!

Now what really annoys me is die hard WoW players who have never played the originals. Whats up with that?
    If a game has dedicated developers, you won't need to switch games. My Dad ONLY plays Runescape. My aunt ONLY plays Solitaire. My grandpa ONLY plays Solitaire (they're neighbors). My other aunt ONLY plays Tetris. Once you've become good at one game *cough* it's hard to change.

My primary reason for quitting good guilds is the game shuts down, or the guild moves to another one.
    Last edited by Phenoca; 05-18-2012 at 01:36 AM.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 25

The difference between Rift/SWTOR and the such being WoW Clones and WoW being an Everquest Clone is very simply. WoW greatly improved upon mechanics that were present and taken from other games, making it the golden standard of MMOs; while the other games, like the two I mentioned, simply don't provide a gameplay experience that is as polished.

Gaming companies tend to be safe and copy what others have fun, especially in the MMO genre. The problem is they never do it better, so it's a loop of one game that is very polished and 6-7 games that are 90% like the former, yet simply not as good in any regard.

Game Journalist Reputation: 10

I have to say I completely disagree. Rift is unique because it took elements from many games, made them better and gave us a unique environment. People who blindly slap a label on it never gave it a chance.
    Currently Playing
    The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars
    Waiting For
    Elder Scrolls, Everquest Next, The Division, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Previously Played
    Everquest, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, TERA, Neverwinter, Rift

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 25

I have to say I completely disagree. Rift is unique because it took elements from many games, made them better and gave us a unique environment. People who blindly slap a label on it never gave it a chance.
    Just looking at the games current population tells you that it clearly didn't offer a better experience than WoW. I had played RIFT to max level, and even participated in endgame. I assure you, PvP nor PvE was better. Rift's were basically just events from Warhammer. It was hardly worth doing them 90% of the time.

The soul system was a good idea, just horribly implemented and made for terribly imbalanced PvP and yet still managed to cause people to build in identical ways in PvE, simply because it was optimal, making half the souls useless.
    Last edited by Xeonswitch; 05-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.