Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Secret World

Wand of !!!!!!11!!! Power Reputation: 26

Default The Secret World

Changing to offical discussion post for The Secret World.
    Joel Bylos takes new postion as Game Director for The Secret World
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcom News
    Durham, USA – September 24th, 2012 – Funcom is excited to announce that Joel Bylos has taken the new position as Game Director on ‘The Secret World’,the company’s recently launched massively multiplayer online game (MMO). Mr. Bylos will work together with Creative Director Ragnar Tørnquist on expanding and enhancing the game through quality post-launch content. The team has already launched two major content updates in just over two months following launch, and focus going forward will be to expand the storyline, introduce entire new areas such as the upcoming New York raid, and much more.

Ragnar Tørnquist will continue in his role as Creative Director with even more focus on the overall setting and story for the game.

You can also find an additional statement from Ragnar Tørnquist on the official The Secret World forums.

Mr. Bylos, who has been instrumental in shaping ‘The Secret World’ as Lead Content Designer’ throughout development, has extensive experience with developing post-launch content for MMOs. This includes serving as Lead Designer on the critically acclaimed ‘Rise of the Godslayer’ expansion pack for Funcom’s previous MMO launch ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’. Mr. Bylos will manage the development team together with Scott Junior, who continues in his position as Producer on the game.

“Being given the opportunity to lead the game into a bold, new future is definitely a dream come true for me,” says Joel Bylos, Game Director on ‘The Secret World’. “I am very proud of what we as a team have created with ‘The Secret World’, and it is truly a brilliant canvas that will allow us to create more groundbreaking MMO experiences for many years to come. ‘The Secret World’ is only really getting started, and with a game world that draws upon our own,real world, there is no limit to what sort of amazing stories we can tell and fantastic locations we can visit in the upcoming content updates.”

“Joel and I have worked together for many years, and I cannot think of anyone more suited to maintain the vision and lead the game going forward than him,” says Ragnar Tørnquist, Creative Director on ‘The Secret World’. “I look forward to continue working with Joel on bringing the game forward through many, exciting post-launch updates, and I especially look forward to spending more time expanding on what I truly enjoy the most about ‘The Secret World’: the story, characters and the setting itself.”

The development team is currently working on wrapping up ‘Issue #3: The Cat God’, the latest content update for ‘The Secret World’, and production on‘Issue #4’ is also well under way. This update puts players in the middle of a devastated New York City where they have to battle an enormous monster crawling up from the depths of the New York subway system and onto the streets of Times Square.
    Source:
    Joel Bylos takes new postion as Game Director for The Secret World

Just a Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usp_q2N6dg

Last edited by GenoX; 11-04-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Update

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 24

Havnt tried it myself but alot of people say it feels like silent hill/resident evil with mmo slap in

100/100 reviewers say the combat sucks but the game is great.

Game Journalist Reputation: 10

I've been playing around with the game for a few weeks now and I have to say it is kind awesome. Ok, pretty darn awesome. There are no unlockable classes this is because there are no classes. You have your weapons which you can carry two of at a time. There are no levels. You work to gain points to unlock new skills. Not every weapon will be right for every situation and every zone. In theory though you could have every skill unlocked in every type of weapon on one character. You pick what abilities you have, you pick which two weapons/magic you want to use. There are also preset combinations that you can go with if you want to.
    As for the actual combat at first I found it a bit awkward and stiff. But after playing a while I got used to it. The key thing to remember is to keep moving. This isn't a game you can play by just standing in one place and spamming buttons.
    Something that kind of throws people off is that there are times when you have to think, solve riddles and even use google. Which is why they have an in game browser. This isn't a normal MMO. NPCs drop F-bombs, enemies look like something that came straight from hell, and most of all thinking outside the box is a must.
    The headstart is next week, so if you are wanting to get in from the very start there isn't much time left.
    Currently Playing
    The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars
    Waiting For
    Elder Scrolls, Everquest Next, The Division, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Previously Played
    Everquest, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, TERA, Neverwinter, Rift

Seems like a great review so I went ahead and reserved for it with the initiate pack and master pack and because I try the beta weekend and the game was pretty good. Yes its not your typical mmo since you don't have much of the traditional ways of leveling and after playing the first stage where you got to run through train station. It was challenging and if they didn't put a cap where you don't go under 375 life I would of been dead more then once.

Another question, does this game have a party system or raid system? If so how is it if anyone tried it.

There are several dungeons though I haven't tried them yet. I don't want to ruin the surprise when I finally get to play them live. As for grouping up in the rest of the world, outside of pvp you can group up with anyone from any faction. But you can only join a cabal (guild) of your own faction.
    Currently Playing
    Waiting For
    Previously Played

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 15

I'll add my two cents, but use it as a guide to demermine if its your cup of tea.
    The combat is mediocre at best. I could live with it if the game was better overall and if the combat didn't take so freaking long.
    Seriously, at one point you get a mission to go 6 zombies, another 6, another 6, another 6 and another. Each single one takes about 2-3 minutes to kill. This would be perfectly fine if each encounter was worth the time which it isn't.

If you have AOE damage, you better get ready to heal because just taking on one of these things requires you to heal after. The normal zombies were fine, but those mission zombies are crazy. The game then tries to call itself a puzzle game. I'm a fan of resident evil and silent hill and even LA Noire for what it is. But when you have hundreds of people walking around and a ton of NPC enemies trying to kill you because its freaking MMO, it gets stupid and annoying. Thats how I sum up the whole puzzle thing. Theres zero direction for finding any clues for the task you're doing. They expect you to sit there and talk to every NPC and walk around every inch of the game to find things.

All of this could be forgiven if they had decent character customization. I heard they were going to add more like body shapes and stuff, but what they showed, clothes included was so horrible. Even Fallen Earth had better hair to pick from. This game actually minds me of Fallen Earth. It feels like someone took Fallen Earth and APB and added super natural on top with a hint of the Matrix. Also, the graphics are outdated.

But with all that said, if they just improve character creation, don't force the player to play its linear story, don't make combat take so freaking long, then it'd be an okay game.

The concept is amazing, so if thats enough to get 15 dollars a month out of you, go for it.
    I honestly think the game will go free to play very fast. Not APB fast, but fast.
    Playing:
    Second Life - Skyrim - Waiting for a decent MMO

@Hyena I'm not trying say your opinion is bad or anything but I didn't see most of those issues you've experience.

When I played the open beta week I find the story to be interesting I don't have to stick to the story only just do some sidequest or grind if I wanted, explore the place. The monster was not as hard as you said it was. I didn't expect them to guide me everywhere like most game now. I didn't expect them to have a auto walk. I expected and wanted something with a challenge. There are times when I need to search up information like the quest where you were in the doctors house to search up information but needed a password. I'm not a fan of LA Noire or Grand Theft Auto and never really got into silent hill or resident evil. I liked games like lighthouse, phantasmagoria and the likes. I am more knowledgable in jrpg/F2P games I.E. psp, ps games and etc. I don't need directions for finding clues because they give me a general area as we are suppose to use our head a little to actually search for things instead of auto running to somewhere or telling me exactly where it is. I don't care if the graphics is outdated WoW is outdated and I still played it when I wanted to. As long as the game is interesting. Though WoW lost my interest with their changes and upcoming bad change. I don't really need things to be pretty up if the game is bad and all it have is a good package I would throw it away. I don't see how does npc conflict with monster because monster never really hang around a npc unless it's sorta require for the quest.
    Last edited by GenoX; 06-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 15

I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
    My main problem was just the character creation and the combat. Followed by the graphics.
    Playing:
    Second Life - Skyrim - Waiting for a decent MMO

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

I really love the Cthulu-styled Mythos-esque approach that the narrative of the game takes. Parts of it cause me some issue due to graphical or combat glitches; but so far they haven't been enough to turn me off. I played mostly in the Beta weekends, so I'm looking forward to get back into the game for proper play to see what else they have to offer.

The puzzle-based narrative elements are most intriguing to me; although they've been a little bit frustrating at times.

btw these are some thoughts from people who've actually played the game.
    http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=37250

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

I really really liked the game, fun quests, the combat was improved 10 fold and the skill system was probably the most interesting I've seen in awhile. The only problem I had was the constant crashing and memory leaks that come with trying to play it on windows 7 32-bit.

I was really upset when i found out the only real way to fix the errors i was getting was to upgrade to windows 7 64-bit, mostly because i don't have $200 right now to drop on a new OS to play a game .

Honestly it's one of the better games I've played, but if ur running a 32-bit OS don't even bother, the crashing made it very uplayable at some parts...
    How to make an onrpg sig in 5 easy steps
    1. Insert pic of random anime character/girl(scantly clad = extra points)
    2. Post the specs of your computer even though no one really cares
    3. Put a random quote from some dead poet or something that makes you seem smart
    4. Quote a post that makes you feel cool
    5. And lastly write in bold red letters about how win you are

So I've finally dragged myself out of TSW to do some writing before I throw myself back in. I have been having a fantastic time. The only problem I've really had was nearly every time I load Kingsmouth I crash. But that is because like the above poster I don't have the money for an upgrade on that scale. Oh and there has been one quest bugged. But hey, bugs happen. I've discovered I'm a complete whore for clothes and they need to make the store bigger. Having a great time though.
    Currently Playing
    Waiting For
    Previously Played

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 24

i am watching a livesteam atm LOLL
    they have freaking random bear traps?!
    the guy was walking around bam! got hit by the trap and monster gather up smashing him LOLL
    that was funniest thing ever, might actually buy this game need more livestream tho

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 31

I really want to try this game!!! Anyone else played it?

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 10

Just bought it today, gonna upgrade to lifetime next week, since I really enjoy this game.

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 12

I've just played for a couple of hours, but I love the game so far! Highly recommended!

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by diztar View Post
    I've just played for a couple of hours, but I love the game so far! Highly recommended!
    I had a chance to play this during some of the beta events and now I've got a month or so to putter around the game. I'm liking it so far as well.

The combat system feels a little odd, especially coupled with the open-targeting system; but I do enjoy having to pick and choose what I'm going to go with in a current build based on what I've trained to that point. And there's a lot of learning curve when it comes to spreading out AP and SP.

I don't know if I'll have enough time to play the game to get used to the crafting system; but the ability to build items based on plans and sub-elements. Sounds like it could be quite worthwhile.

I don't like the weird lack of aesthetic choices for faces or body types; the amount of starting clothing is okay but extremely lacking (especially the colors) and it extends to a particular drabness for starting characters. I haven't gone far enough along to see if we ever get to fly the colors of our secret society (in whatever subtle way) or even get interesting bits of armor. I know that it's a contemporary, urban fantasy game but they could at least give me more street clothes.

Oh, Funcom, what have ye done.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 25

I just started yesterday and am having a blast too, just now delved into builds and such, so gonna try to focus on something tomorrow, should be fun.

~Current Computer~
    Chipset : Intel Ivy Bridge Z77
    Processor : Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40 GHz
    Memory : 8192 (2 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM ) Kingston HyperX
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660TI (GeForce GTX 480 dedicated to PhysX)

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

Got it yesterday, having a blast. Just took down the Bogeyman today and I've gotta say it was pretty intense for a solo-instance quest boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarcrow View Post
    i am watching a livesteam atm LOLL
    they have freaking random bear traps?!
    the guy was walking around bam! got hit by the trap and monster gather up smashing him LOLL
    that was funniest thing ever, might actually buy this game need more livestream tho
    They're part of a questline.
    Last edited by Riz; 07-06-2012 at 04:38 AM.

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 34

yeah the bogeyman was definitely the hardest thing ive fought so far (i think im just about done with savage coast, have not done any dungeons yet) im in QL5 stuff on my ninja in the making

i really have been enjoying the game a lot, i bought it on a whim after putting like 260 hours into diablo 3 and burning out on it, and the 2 month wait for guild wars 2 and torchlight 2 was too long for me to just be sitting around

the graphics are so nice on ultra settings, it kind of reminds me a lot of the s.t.a.l.k.e.r series (with the complete mod)

i did some pvp earlier for the 1st time (fusang projects) and it was pretty fun, i kind of like the balance of melee and ranged, melee seems viable on this game but the CC's are pretty long so i think in big groups ranged is probably better but in smaller fights melee is better

im enjoying blades a lot, i have a blink step attack and a sword dash, a HoT and a 3 second disable (also my bread and butter combo builder/finisher and a weak nuke), but some of the abilities have a pretty long cooldown on this game so it takes some planning instead of just mashing

im trying to get more into elemental since blade skills are getting so expensive to learn now and i feel like my build has a pretty solid base, also to give me some more options for when my cooldowns are not up and i cant get in melee range (right now the electric attack i have is pretty terrible though)

the game looks like there is tons of fun builds to try and use, its kind of tempting to reroll something totally different than what im doing but ill stick with it

/mini rant

the people ingame have all been really nice and the gm's are doing there best to help people with bugged quests and such, on the forums however i don't know, it seems like there is a lot of PVE players bashing PVP'ers as well as other PVE'ers ("oh you cant heal or tank noob i do this in my sleep" "oh you thought this was a PVP game your playing it wrong" blah blah ect who gives a shit), it makes me sick really people can play the game however they want, and if they are bad at PVP or PVE then we can hope they get better over time

im pretty good at pvp and pve myself but that doesn't mean you got to act like a dick

/end mini ran rant

one reason i have not done any dungeons yet is because i wanted to get some adequate gear beforehand but me playing a DPS class doesn't help since everyone and there brother rolls DPS, i guess i could stack survivability gear and pass for a tank as blades perhaps, i might try to tackle them before i got to blue mountain just for the stories sake, i usually end up playing a healer or tank in PVE games now'days (post WoW era) since you get into groups faster but i saw ninja and my mind went blank i had to do it, ill maybe try something else once i finish the deck

being a dragon is pretty damn cool, i feel like im a ninja from the footclan straight out of ninja turtles when im running around fusang in my dps suit with my sword, its amazing

edit: i did polaris earlier as a tank and the last boss was surprisingly difficult for the 1st dungeon in the game, i expected to faceroll the whole place since i already had gear 1 or 2 levels higher than the dungeon but it wasn't so easy by any means (also the boss looks like ****in Cthulhu so that was awesome his name is The Ur-draug)
    Last edited by chris183; 07-07-2012 at 03:36 AM.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 27

Does Anyone have a Buddy Key? or 2? so me and a friend can try it? Thanks per pm please

Playing Final Fantasy XI
    Server:Asura
    IGN:Rubedo

Originally Posted by Zilo View Post
    Blind monk was made into Udyr - if blindmonk comes out for real *I doubt he will* I Will buy people $10 worth of riotpoint cards hell even quote me / sig
    me

I've been playing since early access. If you are a hardcore gw or wow type of gamer then this most likely won't satisfy you, if are looking for something similar. The game itself is very interesting. The parts where you got to decipher codes to complete missions and the story are very well made. They didn't slack on the game at all. Though there are bugs here and there some times you'll get the worse end. Those are just very minor things though since it's new. So it's been over a week for me and I'm still having a blast much better then Diablo 3 in my opinion. Since diablo 3 just got plain out boring after you max the first character (even hunting gears feel like a chore). In TSW hunting gears don't feel like that at all because whatever role you play you need to play well and put effort into it. You'll have to dodge, move, and position yourself all the time while keeping in check on what you'll need to do. Everyone have to do their jobs or else it's gonna be a constant wipe. Hell you can even do it for the challenge if you want. If you ever get bore you can always just switch equipment, skills, and your title then boom your a different role. Melee, Range, Magic range or a healer.
    Last edited by GenoX; 07-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefos View Post
    Not just next september. They are releasing game content next month and every month according to ragnar announcement. According to him the game have everything prepared to be release with every month. So there is nothing to worry about with what people been complaining about limited content. He is also releasing information about the first raiding instance next month I think it's going to be an epic raid.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

love to try it, reading post from people who seem to like it very much. . . i want to try it