The Secret World

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Sonic’s Milkshake Reputation: 10

Default The Secret World

Changing to offical discussion post for The Secret World.
    Joel Bylos takes new postion as Game Director for The Secret World
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcom News
    Durham, USA – September 24th, 2012 – Funcom is excited to announce that Joel Bylos has taken the new position as Game Director on ‘The Secret World’,the company’s recently launched massively multiplayer online game (MMO). Mr. Bylos will work together with Creative Director Ragnar Tørnquist on expanding and enhancing the game through quality post-launch content. The team has already launched two major content updates in just over two months following launch, and focus going forward will be to expand the storyline, introduce entire new areas such as the upcoming New York raid, and much more.

Ragnar Tørnquist will continue in his role as Creative Director with even more focus on the overall setting and story for the game.

You can also find an additional statement from Ragnar Tørnquist on the official The Secret World forums.

Mr. Bylos, who has been instrumental in shaping ‘The Secret World’ as Lead Content Designer’ throughout development, has extensive experience with developing post-launch content for MMOs. This includes serving as Lead Designer on the critically acclaimed ‘Rise of the Godslayer’ expansion pack for Funcom’s previous MMO launch ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’. Mr. Bylos will manage the development team together with Scott Junior, who continues in his position as Producer on the game.

“Being given the opportunity to lead the game into a bold, new future is definitely a dream come true for me,” says Joel Bylos, Game Director on ‘The Secret World’. “I am very proud of what we as a team have created with ‘The Secret World’, and it is truly a brilliant canvas that will allow us to create more groundbreaking MMO experiences for many years to come. ‘The Secret World’ is only really getting started, and with a game world that draws upon our own,real world, there is no limit to what sort of amazing stories we can tell and fantastic locations we can visit in the upcoming content updates.”

“Joel and I have worked together for many years, and I cannot think of anyone more suited to maintain the vision and lead the game going forward than him,” says Ragnar Tørnquist, Creative Director on ‘The Secret World’. “I look forward to continue working with Joel on bringing the game forward through many, exciting post-launch updates, and I especially look forward to spending more time expanding on what I truly enjoy the most about ‘The Secret World’: the story, characters and the setting itself.”

The development team is currently working on wrapping up ‘Issue #3: The Cat God’, the latest content update for ‘The Secret World’, and production on‘Issue #4’ is also well under way. This update puts players in the middle of a devastated New York City where they have to battle an enormous monster crawling up from the depths of the New York subway system and onto the streets of Times Square.
    Source:
    Joel Bylos takes new postion as Game Director for The Secret World

Just a Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usp_q2N6dg

Last edited by GenoX; 11-04-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Update

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 24

Havnt tried it myself but alot of people say it feels like silent hill/resident evil with mmo slap in

100/100 reviewers say the combat sucks but the game is great.

Game Journalist Reputation: 10

I've been playing around with the game for a few weeks now and I have to say it is kind awesome. Ok, pretty darn awesome. There are no unlockable classes this is because there are no classes. You have your weapons which you can carry two of at a time. There are no levels. You work to gain points to unlock new skills. Not every weapon will be right for every situation and every zone. In theory though you could have every skill unlocked in every type of weapon on one character. You pick what abilities you have, you pick which two weapons/magic you want to use. There are also preset combinations that you can go with if you want to.
    As for the actual combat at first I found it a bit awkward and stiff. But after playing a while I got used to it. The key thing to remember is to keep moving. This isn't a game you can play by just standing in one place and spamming buttons.
    Something that kind of throws people off is that there are times when you have to think, solve riddles and even use google. Which is why they have an in game browser. This isn't a normal MMO. NPCs drop F-bombs, enemies look like something that came straight from hell, and most of all thinking outside the box is a must.
    The headstart is next week, so if you are wanting to get in from the very start there isn't much time left.
    Currently Playing
    The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars
    Waiting For
    Elder Scrolls, Everquest Next, The Division, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Previously Played
    Everquest, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, TERA, Neverwinter, Rift

Seems like a great review so I went ahead and reserved for it with the initiate pack and master pack and because I try the beta weekend and the game was pretty good. Yes its not your typical mmo since you don't have much of the traditional ways of leveling and after playing the first stage where you got to run through train station. It was challenging and if they didn't put a cap where you don't go under 375 life I would of been dead more then once.

Another question, does this game have a party system or raid system? If so how is it if anyone tried it.

Game Journalist Reputation: 10

There are several dungeons though I haven't tried them yet. I don't want to ruin the surprise when I finally get to play them live. As for grouping up in the rest of the world, outside of pvp you can group up with anyone from any faction. But you can only join a cabal (guild) of your own faction.
    Currently Playing
    The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars
    Waiting For
    Elder Scrolls, Everquest Next, The Division, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
    Previously Played
    Everquest, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, TERA, Neverwinter, Rift

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 15

I'll add my two cents, but use it as a guide to demermine if its your cup of tea.
    The combat is mediocre at best. I could live with it if the game was better overall and if the combat didn't take so freaking long.
    Seriously, at one point you get a mission to go 6 zombies, another 6, another 6, another 6 and another. Each single one takes about 2-3 minutes to kill. This would be perfectly fine if each encounter was worth the time which it isn't.

If you have AOE damage, you better get ready to heal because just taking on one of these things requires you to heal after. The normal zombies were fine, but those mission zombies are crazy. The game then tries to call itself a puzzle game. I'm a fan of resident evil and silent hill and even LA Noire for what it is. But when you have hundreds of people walking around and a ton of NPC enemies trying to kill you because its freaking MMO, it gets stupid and annoying. Thats how I sum up the whole puzzle thing. Theres zero direction for finding any clues for the task you're doing. They expect you to sit there and talk to every NPC and walk around every inch of the game to find things.

All of this could be forgiven if they had decent character customization. I heard they were going to add more like body shapes and stuff, but what they showed, clothes included was so horrible. Even Fallen Earth had better hair to pick from. This game actually minds me of Fallen Earth. It feels like someone took Fallen Earth and APB and added super natural on top with a hint of the Matrix. Also, the graphics are outdated.

But with all that said, if they just improve character creation, don't force the player to play its linear story, don't make combat take so freaking long, then it'd be an okay game.

The concept is amazing, so if thats enough to get 15 dollars a month out of you, go for it.
    I honestly think the game will go free to play very fast. Not APB fast, but fast.
    Playing:
    Second Life - Skyrim - Waiting for a decent MMO

@Hyena I'm not trying say your opinion is bad or anything but I didn't see most of those issues you've experience.

When I played the open beta week I find the story to be interesting I don't have to stick to the story only just do some sidequest or grind if I wanted, explore the place. The monster was not as hard as you said it was. I didn't expect them to guide me everywhere like most game now. I didn't expect them to have a auto walk. I expected and wanted something with a challenge. There are times when I need to search up information like the quest where you were in the doctors house to search up information but needed a password. I'm not a fan of LA Noire or Grand Theft Auto and never really got into silent hill or resident evil. I liked games like lighthouse, phantasmagoria and the likes. I am more knowledgable in jrpg/F2P games I.E. psp, ps games and etc. I don't need directions for finding clues because they give me a general area as we are suppose to use our head a little to actually search for things instead of auto running to somewhere or telling me exactly where it is. I don't care if the graphics is outdated WoW is outdated and I still played it when I wanted to. As long as the game is interesting. Though WoW lost my interest with their changes and upcoming bad change. I don't really need things to be pretty up if the game is bad and all it have is a good package I would throw it away. I don't see how does npc conflict with monster because monster never really hang around a npc unless it's sorta require for the quest.
    Last edited by GenoX; 06-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 15

I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
    My main problem was just the character creation and the combat. Followed by the graphics.
    Playing:
    Second Life - Skyrim - Waiting for a decent MMO

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

I really love the Cthulu-styled Mythos-esque approach that the narrative of the game takes. Parts of it cause me some issue due to graphical or combat glitches; but so far they haven't been enough to turn me off. I played mostly in the Beta weekends, so I'm looking forward to get back into the game for proper play to see what else they have to offer.

The puzzle-based narrative elements are most intriguing to me; although they've been a little bit frustrating at times.

btw these are some thoughts from people who've actually played the game.
    http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=37250

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast