Thread: Laptop for gaming

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Default Laptop for gaming

I am not looking to buy one immediately but just planning and want to know what would be the approximate expenses getting one.

Not looking for a high-end laptop which can run everything on highest and will be able to run for any game produced in the following years.

Since I am playing SC2, HoN, Dota2 and LoL 90% of the time I am looking for a laptop which would be able to run these games on highest settings(that would exclude shadows which hog a lot of resources and which I don't care about anyway + anti-aliasing(or w/e you call it) on 16x, maximum 4x, and nothing past trilinear filtering, maybe anistropic 2x or 4x but nothing extreme, not so picky on graphics and I don't notice the changes past those points anyway which is a waste of resources), maximum resolution naturally and 60fps at all time, fps really matters to me a lot and I've gotten to the point where I can see very clearly when the game runs at 50 or 60 fps. I hope I am making some sense here :3

I am mainly looking for a price point because I have no idea how much this would cost me atm. I suppose SC2 or Dota2 would be the milestones since they are the most resource intense games. Like 4v4 monobattles in SC2 when the huge cluster****s happen, would be lovely to have 60fps instead of the laptop dying or simply starting to lag out.

I realize I've made quite a decent amount of similar topics here in the past over the years but technology is developing and I was just day dreaming at that time. Now I actually have the means and resources to acquire a new computer. Hence the more specific details too.
    Last edited by marcipaans; 06-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Retired Staff Reputation: 714

To be honest, you're asking for something that high-end desktops are even struggling with.

Get an i7 with a GTX680M/HD7970M. It'd set you back at least 1250EUR if you know where to look.

That so? Well I had no idea what to expect to begin with. How about medium settings instead of high? Does it change the average pricetag?
    Last edited by marcipaans; 06-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.

All depends on what happened with the consoles during those couple of years and how far engine development went. It's still safe to say that 3 to 4 year about right sounds for medium settings with gaming desktops.

What I wrote in my previous post will get you that or close to. You'll most likely have a better PC or new laptop by than.
    quick edit: that's talking about single-card systems. SLI/CF can and probably will last a bit longer on higher settings.

Looks like I need to look into monthly payment plans then. Although I can't seem to find any in Dutch internet shops.
    Last edited by marcipaans; 06-27-2012 at 08:27 PM.

This might be of help.

Holy crap! I just picked likely candidate and wanted to see when it will offer more specific payment details. Ended up actually completing the order without given the warning or actually seeing any real payment options

EDIT: Mailed them and I cleared things out. They also don't offer monthly payment plans and only want all the money at once. But the laptops there do look relatively cheaper.

EDIT2: Seriously what is up with this country that nobody offers monthly plan. Back in my country everyone is showing it in your face,
    Last edited by marcipaans; 06-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.

The only stores that do monthly payments are stores like Carrefour and MediaMarkt IIRC.
    That's shooting yourself in the foot for choices btw.

There's also Paradigit but I don't think they have monthly payments.

Game Journalist Reputation: 67

What is your budget? Bought myself a laptop a while ago that was able to run everything you mentioned really easy. The price however was really high

That's the thing. I don't really have a set budget yet and I wanted to find out the price range for my request. Now that I know it I can't really pay upfront that much money and I am more than willing to go for a monthly plan. I know I will be overpaying but it is much more convenient for me that way.

The info department at BTO were awesome enough to give me a link to a website which specifically deals with these monthly payment plans. Looks like I've found the perfect place.

https://www.laptopleasy.nl/
    Last edited by marcipaans; 06-28-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 93

May I ask why a laptop in particular? It just seems that if you stick with a rig, it'd be fine. What you are asking is really almost not cost efficient if you are buying a laptop but don't move around that often.

In any case, have you looked into Sager?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    The only stores that do monthly payments are stores like Carrefour and MediaMarkt IIRC.
    That's shooting yourself in the foot for choices btw.

There's also Paradigit but I don't think they have monthly payments.

There are more sites, but I wouldn't suggest using them. Hell, I would even suggest using mediamarkt or paradigit.
    Their cust**** service is awfull.

btw, If you're really planning to buy a laptop and you're going to use it for gaming, don't work to buy a coolpad for it. You could also look into the MSI and Alienware mx series. A cheaper one which will even give you a i7 would be Acer.

Game Journalist Reputation: 67

i'd say around 1000-1200 is the cheapest ones you could fine.