Thread: alitte pc help plz

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

Exclamation alitte pc help plz

Hi I just got a comp from my friend for free. and I wanted to switch out my old motherboard and put his in and leave all my componets I have. I'm keeping the cpu that is in the new motherboard installed on it. I was wondering if I switch them out can I just connect everything up and it will work?? what else would I have to do if not?? I'm getting the comp right now how can I tell what type or kind of motherboard it is?? does it say on the motherboard it self???

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 424

It depends on what socket your new motherboard is and what your processor is.
    Having a different socket processor means it will not fit into your motherboard.
    Can you tell us the make/model of your processor and motherboard?

It also depends on your RAM, your RAM sticks should be compatible, but there is a chance that they may not.

Same thing goes for video card, and other components.

Try fitting your processor into your new motherboard without switching the PC on, if it fits... Chances are is that it's the right socket.

If not, then you might aswell switch to your old motherboard. Unless you want to buy a new processor/component.

*EDIT*
    Also make sure that your motherboard fits into your case!
    Check to see if it's the same size as your old motherboard, I had this problem when I bought a new Micro ATX motherboard.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10

Well that question is really hard for me to answer without knowing the model names of the motherboard and components. But my main concern for you is that the new motherboard might not support your old RAM, as the newer intel chipsets support DDR2 RAM but not DDR RAM. Also if your new motherboard sports a PCI Express x16 slot, your old AGP card might not work with that..., but your hard drive will still be compatible, for even the newer motherboards still accomodate some PATA ports.

I think that would be about it. But we cannot be totally sure without the model names of the old and new motherboard.