Potion Based Games = Fail?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Default Potion Based Games = Fail?

I was invited to beta test Legendary Champions. I create my character and log in. I open my bag, equip my gear, and notice all the potions they gave me. I didn't give it a second thought. So I run around town for about 4-5 minutes turning in quests and dinging lvl 6. So then I headed out of town to go kill some bears and some cubs for two of my quests. I'm hitting skills and some of them aren't registering and I notice that I keep using "Novice Healing Potion" or "Novice Mana Potion" and that's why some of my skills aren't going through. Perhaps it's just me but I really find these games that require to use potions obsessively to be quite annoying. Not to mention pointless. The only logical reason I can figure for having a game mechanic like this is nothing other than to make money in the item malls off of potions. That I don't mind. However, I think it is used way to excessively in this game, and I've played a few others that do the same thing.

Legendary Champions had me thinking "Wow, I really like this game already!" and then the potion spams hit me. So what do you guys think about these types of games using potions so heavily?

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 10

There's two games I think have the best Potion system.

- Dream Of Mirror Online
    - Ragnarok Online

With DOMO, there's a tonne of different potion types that can always heal a good chunk of your HP and SP; But it's never needed if you're in an successful party because of a Musician buffing you with Mystic Mantra, that allows you to recover SP faster than you can use it (Magic DD'ers need to have SP recovery skills to assure this.). Potion for anything, anyone; But in a party, never needed...

... Then Ragnarok on the other hand, you can buy up to 600~800 HP potions in the Tool Dealership, but 1.2k is expensive for the game, so you sort of need to be rich... I think the prices should at least be halved, for this.
    They don't sell Blue Potions so you don't get to spam your skills, either. You have to find or make Blue Potions, which sort of sucks, but makes sense to me.

My point being is that I think Potions should be of 'moderate costing' for those who do wish to solo, and then party play they should never have to use a single potion (Unless of an emergency where the Cleric/Priest is healing someone else in trouble and you're dying)

I don't think potions should ever have to get more expensive as you go up, but more expensive for the more they heal you; An example being LaTale, where the Potion cost was ridiculous.
    Sure, I know that they got more expensive as they got higher to heal higher, but the thing with that is you have to buy the latest potions otherwise you'll pretty much die because the monster hits just as much as the potion heals.
    Then in the Cash Shop the potions heal in %, which I found ridiculous.
    LaTale had the worst potion system ever I've ever played and no game should follow this.

42 Reputation: 11

I feel Knight Online has a annoying but pretty balanced potion system.

During PvP people just spam pots and you basically have to team up or really crit them to kill someone

The thing about pots and PvE is you need pots to kill monsters your level, making money is Knight Online is very very easy and the pots are extremely cheap. So you never have to say crap, not enough money for pots, the only annoying thing is you have to keep buying them
    ^^PC Bad? Can't Find A Game For It? Click the Link Above ^^

Join our EPIC GROUP!!!

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

I hate those games that is basically spam potions to win , I played Legendary Champions and joined a clan, I noticed the potion spam and I thought to myself wow, I'm probably going to waste a crapload of money of them, I got the opinion of my guildies and they said they had to buy another set of potions every 2 hours or so, which I think it's ridiculous as you'll be forced to stop run back buy potions find where you left off and continue, its just a HUGE hassle and the auto potion system makes it worse as in PVP, you barely have to time your potions and whatnot, it does it for you, which makes the game wayyyy less challenging IMO.

The Watchkeeper Reputation: 10

That's true. If you have a potion you win. If not you don't. That makes it Pay 2 Win. So stay away from it.

Administrator Reputation: 11

Diablo 2 was "potion based" and I think it was one of the best games ever. Just my opinion, but everyone i Know who played Diablo 2 loved it.

I see your point though, about how annoying having to potion spam could be .

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Personally I liked that aspect about Legendary Champions. .you could just sit there and hit a pot while pvping and fighting mobs, reminded me of Silkroad Online with the auto-potting. The only thing I didn't like was how overly expensive the pots were in LC, basically whatever you would gain (money wise) would be sunk right back into pots that you used. Making it really hard to level up skills and buy some other things needed in the game. I still managed to play through out, pots are the least of that games problems though. . They need to do something about the exp brick wall you hit at 30.

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ReMo View Post
    Diablo 2 was "potion based" and I think it was one of the best games ever. Just my opinion, but everyone i Know who played Diablo 2 loved it.

I see your point though, about how annoying having to potion spam could be .
    Yar, D2 was epic. Had no complaints about that game at all, other then the occasional rubberbanding. I thought Mabinogi's potion system was very well balanced.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 12

Perfect World has a pretty unique system. Besides regular potions, which regenerate over time, there's also the hierograms which fully heal when your hp drops below 50% and MP below 70% or so, and they have a reuse delay of 10 seconds. That could be a problem in PVP, if you can't deal over 100% dmg of the target's hp within 10 seconds after you ticked the hierogram, you'll have to try all over again.

Jade Dynasty has an even worse system PVP-wise, the batteries there are manual, but they don't have any reuse. So you can just spam them..unless someone 1-shots you.

For both of the above games, the hierograms and batteries are mostly available for purchase from the cash shop.

Again, as a Lineage 2 fanboy, I'd have to say that this game has a pretty well based potion system. The regular potions don't do too much good, since they heal over time. There are the elixirs that heal instantly, but have a 5 minute reuse delay, an instant potion that only heals 200 hp and is only available for purchase 1 out of 2 weeks with special currency. and then we have the CP (combat points, which is a 2nd health bar only used in PVP) potions which heal 50 or 200 CP - these are also hard to get.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

lmao yeah stupid potion whorer pvping </3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast