Anti-Aliasing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lothia's Lurker Reputation: 14

Default Anti-Aliasing?

Can anybody please explain me what the anti-aliasing is. Every game has it in there graph settings lately, but I have no idea what the heck it does.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 14

Anti-Aliasing is to make lines appear more straight, like in paint if you make a diagonal-line it won't look straight. Anti-Aliasing makes it look straight.
    If games are no-lifers, then are non-gamers yes-lifers?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinetio View Post
    Anti-Aliasing is to make lines appear more straight, like in paint if you make a diagonal-line it won't look straight. Anti-Aliasing makes it look straight.
    Yeah, but I still don't understand how this help ingame I've heard on game forums, like when I asked for best settings for my pc, that it helps a lot with lagging and such, but I can't really see how. xD

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Vinzix View Post
    Yeah, but I still don't understand how this help ingame I've heard on game forums, like when I asked for best settings for my pc, that it helps a lot with lagging and such, but I can't really see how. xD
    In short, anti aliasing makes lines appear smoother.

The left one is an non-anti aliased line, the right one is an anti-aliased line. I zoomed in so you can see the difference more easily.

When it comes to images though, something being anti aliased can make quite a difference in quality. I've decreased an images size by about half, one with anti alias, the other without to show you the difference it can make in an image.

I'm not sure what one makes better performance though. I imagine, no anti-alias would make the game run faster performance wise because it doesn't generate as many pixels in transparencies and such to get a smoother effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Karuvatto View Post
    In short, anti aliasing makes lines appear smoother.
    Looking at your explanation I think I understand it a bit better, thanks So bassicly, when you set it to like; x8 or something, you aren't gonna have that 'texture'-dancing (sort of speak) and even smoother graphics.

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Vinzix View Post
    Looking at your explanation I think I understand it a bit better, thanks So bassicly, when you set it to like; x8 or something, you aren't gonna have that 'texture'-dancing (sort of speak) and even smoother graphics.
    When it came to x8 that always confused me too, but with a little googling...
    This and this.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

its an eye candy

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 11

AA is one the biggest causers of lag. So does shadow. So make sure your pc eats those alive and you ll have no problem

Retired Staff Reputation: 12

Also remember... the higher the resolution, the less AA you need. In simple terms, it's like a filter that makes the lines look more "smooth," kinda like how you would shade something with your pencil when you sketch to make it look more natural. It's the same here, except to make the lines and curves seem less jagged.

There's no real need to go past 4x AA, though, IMO, especially when you're dealing with resolutions of 720p or higher.

Here's a video explaining video settings for games.
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time."
    -Lawrence Krauss

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Yeah like Azn said, you don't really need it at high resolutions (unless the game is using low resolution textures). I never really care for it much myself, I'd rather have the extra frames than not see a couple very tiny jagged edges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast