Automated combat a thing of the past

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Default Automated combat a thing of the past

i have been playing action mmorpgs similar to dragon nest, but SEA version is taking a while to raise cap( its soon tho), so i went back to some of my old games like allods and forsaken world and perfect world etc, i could not stand 5minutes of these games, i felt as those i was playing a game on a super Nintendo, they all felt so outdated, the automated combat system should be relinquished from the face of the earth, and then to hear ppl say they are skilled? skilled at what? skilled at having a program fight for u? with the occasional skill cast u use? on PWI ppl( sins and bms with 5 aps) just click on u and they can go afk and ur dead, but a game where u can dodge literally, not an evasion based stat is so far ahead , i may be alone on this but i doubt i can ever play a lame mmorpg like those agian

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

As far as PVP is concerned you are completely right that some games are just dumb. But it's not really a fault of the auto-attacking. Outside 1vs1 battles it's still quite interesting. For example take Ragnarok Online's castle siege or battlegrounds. Even while the 1on1 combat is still pretty boring, the overall tactic and strategy is what makes it interesting. The difference between well organized guilds and just guilds with high level members can be clearly seen.

I also think action MMORPGs are far superior over point & click ones, but occasionally I still feel like playing one. They are more relaxing. What action MMORPGs still lack is polish. Something WoW and Allods Online have. These games feel just so complete, well thought-out and designed. In action MMORPGs I still miss that feeling. The translations seem rushed, they often force you to repeat the same missions over and over instead of thinking of unique ways to make them more interesting (e.g. random puzzles or events that can occur), they are full of spambots, etc.

Basically the game everyone is waiting for is an Action MMORPG with open world and as much polish as Allods and WoW have. People put their hopes into Guild Wars 2, TERA and Blade & Soul, but I'm not convinced that they will actually be good.

what they need to do i a combination of Eden Eternal and Dragon nest( doesnt have to be same character style) a wide open world would b a gr8 thing to see, but i just cant stand those point click 1v1 games anymore, so imma wait for raiderz( which is open world)

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by grimhealz View Post
    i have been playing action mmorpgs similar to dragon nest, but SEA version is taking a while to raise cap( its soon tho), so i went back to some of my old games like allods and forsaken world and perfect world etc, i could not stand 5minutes of these games, i felt as those i was playing a game on a super Nintendo, they all felt so outdated, the automated combat system should be relinquished from the face of the earth, and then to hear ppl say they are skilled? skilled at what? skilled at having a program fight for u? with the occasional skill cast u use? on PWI ppl( sins and bms with 5 aps) just click on u and they can go afk and ur dead, but a game where u can dodge literally, not an evasion based stat is so far ahead , i may be alone on this but i doubt i can ever play a lame mmorpg like those agian
    Hey ! Dont insult Super Nintendo :mad:

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

2D games are much more a thing of the past, but still many ppl prefer them over 3D games... maplestory being the greatest example...

And sure action combat is superior than point and click, but all combat MMOs, like Rya said, ar severely lacking into everything else apart from combat...
    Divine Souls, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, Rusty Hearts... they all have nothing but action and good graphics... they're all about grinding out the same small level again and again, and then some variations of it, and after a while moving to the next... little to no depth in the gameplay, classes are always either generic or limited, and customisation both in appearence and skills is pathetic... they are just glorified hack n' slash and while they are good at that, are not really good as MMORPGs - there is no immersion, no sense of a greater world, or a greater goal... and thus they get dull once their first shine wears off, unfortunately...

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

i agree the gameplay itself is much greater but as others have pointed out are often broken down into little 5-15 minute dungeons where you get a sss-d rating at the end of it.

There is very little immersion or staying power in those games. To me if you go into one of these games alone you will be bored in a week or 2, the only way to continue having fun is with a buddy or 3.That said i to am tired of auto attack style games they have the polish but they are often severely imbalanced and really take very little skill to be played well.

What im looking forward to is path of exile the gameplay fits somewhere in between the 2 it isnt automatic seeing as you have to aim but it isnt a beat style combo system either ( i love diablo style combat). Also im a sucker for diablo style random loot generation PoE will have near limiless customization when it comes to gear and the orb system for "crafting" is amazing.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Quote Originally Posted by grimhealz View Post
    what they need to do i a combination of Eden Eternal and Dragon nest( doesnt have to be same character style) a wide open world would b a gr8 thing to see, but i just cant stand those point click 1v1 games anymore, so imma wait for raiderz( which is open world)
    I'm curious, what kind of unique features do you think Eden Eternal has that action MMORPGs need?

most action mmorpgs i have played arent open world, usually dungeon based, eden eternal has dungeons in an open world( kinda), in DN its a bit hard to find a pt cuz every1 is in town spamming at either of the ONLY 2 entrances, in eden eternal u go to teh entrance of that dungeon and u find teams quicker, u can interact with ppl outside of towns, instead of ram packing every1 in one area that causes ALOT of lag, reference to this is west district in perfect world

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

eh while some 4s games i hate, i dont mind automated attaccing... i liked DA:O alot better then DA2...

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I'm curious, what kind of unique features do you think Eden Eternal has that action MMORPGs need?
    proly the ability to switch classes on the fly. or proly the cute characters and atmosphere....or the skill animation. or the big one...open world fighting!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast