The Truth About PWI

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default The Truth About PWI

Hi all. The total truth about PWI is that it's a cash cow. There is nothing FREE about them. The fact is it is free to play until level 70. It then gets expensive on gears, and weapons. In game gold prices have recently soared to 2mil per gold, and when I started playing it was 50k a pop.

What's even worse is that I was chosen to beta test their American server. As I progressed through the game I decided to create an account other than my beta account so they wouldn't be able to track me. My Barbarian progressed through the levels nicely up until level 70. It then became necessary to get better gears called TT gears (available 70-90 and 99).

I noticed myself shelling out money out of pocket to keep up with the boutique players. Slowly the cost of gold went up, and the gears in auction and/or the materials to make them became too expensive to purchase without having to sell gold in the auction house to make in-game coin.

So now at level 100, my barbarian has 2 options. I pay 50 million coins per piece of armor needed to gear him in game, or pay $200 for the reputation to acquire rank gears. This does not include purchasing each piece for 1 mil, then sharding, and refining. In the end I calculated the total cost to gear my barb, and aside from the fact that I have spent over $1200 already in this game (on several characters), I'd have to spend a total of $500-$600 for my rank gears, sharded, and refined.

Well I am sorry to say, but PW lost my vote after 3 1/2 years of loyalty.
    Deuce

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 10

3 words - Earn Free Zen

A Shrubbery Reputation: 13

It took you 3 and a half years to figure out? Well just to save you time in the future PWI is not the only company that does this, most f2p companies do this. This may come as a surprise to you but these games exist to make money not for you to have fun lol.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 10

Gotta earn dough somehow.. ^^

Firor's Fury Reputation: 60

Unfortunately, while I could agree with you, I won't. Perfect World International doesn't have as expensive an item mall as you might think. You might want to compare it to other publishers, such as Fiesta's, Outspark. Or maybe IGG? Angels Online's item mall is much more expensive for the items they serve through it. They also rely heavily on the "Lucky" or "Fortune" bag system in comparison to other MMORPGs. Perfect World does not, at least not nowadays. For instance, you COULD spend over 180 USD to make a Hercules or phoenix pet. But, thankfully, they recently added "Bulk" buy options for phoenix feathers and source of force (up to x1000.) Buying it through these means shatters the 180 USD average you need to spend via the "Fortune" bag-esque way of getting them.

They still do have those pesky warsoul weapons though, they're level 70 weapons that have the stats of Lv 140+ weapons. They are valued, each, mind you, at about 10,000 USD. This is the single most expensive item I have seen for an MMORPG ever.

However, if going the cash shop route for, let's say Angels Online, you'll probably be spending much more, but spread out over the course of your gaming life there. The same can be said for Nexon's Mabinogi.

You're better off going with Buy to Play games like or similar to White Knight Chronicles II if you have any doubts for cash shops. But if you must go the free to play route, I have a minor suggestion: Compare the cash shop items, right down to the individual descriptions for each game to one another.

For instance, the flying mounts in Perfect World, compare them with the ones in Nexon's Mabinogi. You'll note that PWI's flying mounts can be summoned for an infinite amount of time; while Mabinogi's has a limited use time on said flying mounts, same with their land mounts.

It's all up to you in terms of how you value things. If you still can't figure it out, *shrug*

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: Final Fantasy XIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: Wildstar (USA) ∑ Saving For: Television

All I am saying is that if it costs someone $500 for just the reputation to get the gears they need to play, you might as well pay to play instead. PWI is NOT a free to play game by any means. If you want to keep up with your counter parts in game, then break out that credit card.

The only good thing about PWI is that on their forums, thousands of people agree. PWI is dead, it needs to be buried, re-vamped, or hire a damn consultant guys!! LOL
    Deuce

Firor's Fury Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by GameReviews View Post
    All I am saying is that if it costs someone $500 for just the reputation to get the gears they need to play, you might as well pay to play instead. PWI is NOT a free to play game by any means. If you want to keep up with your counter parts in game, then break out that credit card.
    Then play with casual players? Honestly, I don't see the need to rush through everything.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: Final Fantasy XIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: Wildstar (USA) ∑ Saving For: Television

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Then play with casual players? Honestly, I don't see the need to rush through everything.
    The real issue is not the casual player. Even the casual player after level 70 no longer wants to play. In game gears are costing 10 million or more after level 70. Rank gears are damn near impossible to get, and finding a squad that isn't bent on power leveling is not an option.

It's become all about Nirvana, and APS. Barbs are ruining their builds, and can't tank to wear Blademaster Claws to have a 5.0 APS. Apparently this will all be fixed when they bring back class requisite weaponry.

I know too many people from other countries that I have become friends with in game, and can't afford to be a boutique player. I try to help them, but you can't if there is no one to squad as a result of Nirvana. They don't need barbs or healers anymore. It's Bloodpaint, and APS. It's no longer a game, it's a business, and it shows.
    Deuce

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

It's free to PLAY, but its not free if you wan't to have fun or keep up with other players at level 70+ like you said. This game has turned into an even more money grubbing game then it was last time I played ( which was 3 or so years ago ) .. its sad really, 30 USD for one thing that can get your Refinement up? even more if you wan't to deal a decent amount of damage.

Heck, they even made the blacksmiths, tailoring ect skill's available to buy lol

And I don't really think there going to add Class restrictions to weapons, They are laughing their way to the bank way to many times to do that.

I to, play a barb and its sad to see that barbs are so wanted up until about level 80 or so then people drop them like a sack of hot potatoes if they aren't 5 APS

I came back after 2 years thinking I had a somewhat ok sum of money on there, abour 18 mill but after talking to some old friends.. Its next to nothing