Thread: Listing: Sandbox MMOs

Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117

Default Listing: Sandbox MMOs

While everyone has a specific type of MMORPG or MMO they like, there are people who also want "Infinite" Possibilities via sandboxing. Only truly way to do this though is to make your own MMORPG yourself via Engines provided all over the Internet. (We also still have yet to see the true potential of the new Unreal Engine 4.) But for those of us not graced with programming knowledge, or don't even know where or how to start (Blender for Modeling?) This thread aims to tell users what there is in Sandbox MMO/RPGs. Currently the list is likely incomplete, or never will be, and people can contribute to the list by replying below this thread opener.

[SIZE="6"]The Problem: San

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Maby also games like Second World? But dont realy know if you can call it a game.

Lothia's Lurker Reputation: 36

EVE Online - Scifi Space simulator with sandbox gameplay
    Face of Mankind - Scifi roleplay game with sandbox gameplay
    Perpetuum Online - Mech / Robot based roleplaying sandbox game.

Just to add a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinzix View Post
    EVE Online - Scifi Space simulator with sandbox gameplay
    Face of Mankind - Scifi roleplay game with sandbox gameplay
    Perpetuum Online - Mech / Robot based roleplaying sandbox game.

Just to add a couple.
    Face of Mankind's wiki has no results for the term sandbox:

Search results for "sandbox" - FoM Wiki - The brains behind the Face of Mankind

Can you explain it better?

Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII Saving For: New Computer

It has the same elements as Eve online when it comes to making your own decisions that will affect whatever is going on. Look up the introduction vids on youtube for that, and in the meantime look up the ones for EVE, that will enlighten you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinzix View Post
    It has the same elements as Eve online when it comes to making your own decisions that will affect whatever is going on. Look up the introduction vids on youtube for that, and in the meantime look up the ones for EVE, that will enlighten you.
    Decision making isn't really "Sandbox" =/ If you find any in my list that have only that, tell me, and I'll remove it.

Sandbox is when you can actually change the land and others can see that, like with minecraft.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Going to try fallen earth

A Shrubbery Reputation: 32

Decision making is kinda sandboxy, well not specifically. Sandbox basicly means there is no direction so you can do w/e you please, it's not about changing the land.

EVE - i am pretty sure everyone considers this a sandbox as you are completely free to do what you want, there is no forced progression. You can be a pirate, trade, craft, explore, pve and pvp at any point of the game. Just look at eve website One Universe, Limitless Potential - Features of the Game - EVE Online .

Wurm - Another sanbox, like minecraft mmo. Shouldn't really explain why this is sandbox but incase you want, Wurm Online - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Terraria - Wasn't gona say this but then you have minecraft, well this is like minecraft but 2d sidescroller and with more emphasis on combat. Ofcourse it can be modded and played online as well.

Garry's Mod - Durr idk how i forgot this but yeh this is also as sandbox as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Decision making isn't really "Sandbox" =/ If you find any in my list that have only that, tell me, and I'll remove it.

Sandbox is when you can actually change the land and others can see that, like with minecraft.
    Like Dmy says, it still counts for the same. Change the land with your decisions.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Haven & Hearth — Home

also worth checking out

Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro View Post
    EVE - i am pretty sure everyone considers this a sandbox as you are completely free to do what you want, there is no forced progression. You can be a pirate, trade, craft, explore, pve and pvp at any point of the game. Just look at eve website One Universe, Limitless Potential - Features of the Game - EVE Online .
    So basically there are infinite amount of warps / starports / planetary systems / etc. to harvest / go to? Or people have to make them? Can people destroy said star ports by attacking them? I've seen some gameplay, but I'm not convinced yet. (I didn't really listen to them though, I'd rather see the actual sandbox stuff visually, not "heard" via voice or text.)

I put Garry's mod and Terraria on the list, but added asterisks next to them as I have not found dedicated servers (As in, like remotely hosted minecraft servers are) for them.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 32

Nothing is unlimited but might as well be there is so much stuff in EVE and yeh people can construct stuff and it can be hijacked and destoroyed. It's a sandbox, it's just set in space so it doesn't seem like it.

Even says it on official site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro View Post
    Nothing is unlimited but might as well be there is so much stuff in EVE and yeh people can construct stuff and it can be hijacked and destoroyed. It's a sandbox, it's just set in space so it doesn't seem like it.

Even says it on official site.
    Most of the videos on that page are just cinematic trailers, no actual sandbox gameplay. But all right.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106

isnt minecraft a sandbox game...?

edit: oops!! its on the list!
    hmm.. i guess almost every game has some elements of a sandbox game. rtses allow you to change the existence of an enemy on the field in a great many ways. peronally i prefer gameplay over sandbox qualities in the same way that i don't want to have to study everything in the world, just the bits that i like studying.