Ryzom not listed as Free MMO?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Ryzom not listed as Free MMO?

RYZOM.com: MMORPG, MMO, RPG, Role Playing Games (MMORPGS) :: RPG - MMO :: MMORPG

Picked it up recently but I'm missing it here. It's quite free till around 30% of the game (real long trial)? then a pretty cheap monthly sub...

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

i don't think that amounts to a free to play mmo.

my personal definition of a free to play mmo is that you can enjoy the vast majority of what is on offer for free and the only thing you pay for are cosmetic enhancements to your character , or at most item enhancements which do not imbalance the game versus people who do not choose to buy them.

so for ryzom, i would not call it f2p if i had to pay to enjoy more than 30% of the game. (i tried but did not like ryzom because it was just too dependent on players organising themselves - i do notlike my games to have that much close personal contact).

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by vanbasco View Post
    i don't think that amounts to a free to play mmo.

my personal definition of a free to play mmo is that you can enjoy the vast majority of what is on offer for free and the only thing you pay for are cosmetic enhancements to your character , or at most item enhancements which do not imbalance the game versus people who do not choose to buy them.

so for ryzom, i would not call it f2p if i had to pay to enjoy more than 30% of the game. (i tried but did not like ryzom because it was just too dependent on players organising themselves - i do notlike my games to have that much close personal contact).
    If you don't call Ryzom a F2P MMO, then All $O F2P MMO's are not F2P either. Just look at EQ2, where as 'free' player you can't really enjoy the whole content. Okay, you can level to 90 (while 95 is max if you have the latest expansion), but you can't get skills over 'Adept' *LOL level*, can't use Legendary or Fabled items (Mythical is not even mentioned, but I guess you can't use those either ), and most of all, you're bugged every few minutes to go gold. And most of all, compared with Lord of the Rings online, you just simply can't purchase some of the key features from the cash shop (extra bags or remove gold limit for instance)

Nah, then Ryzom is more F2P than all $O F2P MMO's for sure. With Ryzom you have the whole game at your disposal but just can't level your skills over 125 (250 is cap per skill, and you have 64 total to raise to 250, which will take years to accomplish).

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

well i guess it should be ok, but i wuld call any game p2p even though they say it is f2p if somehow i felt that reaching halfway through i would be missing out on what i wanted unless i paid.

it would be really bad to spend weeks levelling a character to level 50 then realise to get to lvl 51 u need to spend real money. this is why i stopped playing lotro early on.

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

Games that stop you dead at X level for free, isn't a free to play. It's either buy to play or pay to play. Similarly, even if it allows you to the level cap, if it doesn't allow you into newly released areas, etc. Then same deal.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: FFXIV:Heavensward, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior Saving For: An Epic Computer