Looking for a PvP based mmorpg

Hybrid View

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Looking for a PvP based mmorpg

Hello guys, I am currently looking for a new mmorpg which includes lots of structured PvP (Siege wars, Battlegrounds, Arenas, Guild vs Guild wars, etc.).

I have been playing World of Warcraft since the release of Cataclysm, strictly for PvP, however I canceled my subscription as the game isn't balanced. Before playing WoW, I have played 2moons (Dekaron) from action 1 to 4.5, loved the PK/PVP system, the classes and skills there.

I would mostly like a game which have been newly entered open beta/full release, so I could progress amongst the big guilds and make my name in there. Would also like if the game would have a free movement for combat, not click a skill and have the character run to the enemy and start his attack animation as I must wait for it to be done, if you get what I mean.

I am not really a fan of "Action RPG'S", such as Dragon Nest, Continent of the ninth, Vindictus, etc. I prefer classic style mmorpg's.

If anyone has a suggestion, please post it here!

EDIT: Just checked on two games which had a gameplay that looked pretty nice to me, Warhammer online and Age of Conan, anyone can tell me about these? Are they free to play, if yes, are the cash shop users having an edge in gameplay?
    Last edited by Jamroller; 07-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

hm.. may I suggest you give Regnum Online (also known as Realms Online) a try....?

RO has only one massive open pvp 3 realms RvR battlefield. Basically you go out and kill all enemies running anywhere. RO is about 5 years old but I wouldn't worry about the age of guilds. The guilds always invite in new players who are enthusiastic and want to have fun etc. But... if you look at RO's gfx it is more simple than others (because they wanted to improve response on pvp).

Um, you mentioned you wanted old style movement but you also kind of needed to aim/time your attacks? RO does this precisely - Missiles weapons are point and click. But I don't think melee weapons are aimed and you have to carefully time the sequence/combos to get the best hits and keep your opponent off balance.

I like RO cos it is simple and I can jum pin almost anytime and there will be a hard fight somewhere. Just an easy and fun 20 minutes anytime. The developers NGD are introducing new instanced pvp arenas in August they say (so even more like a MOBA). FInally RO is f2p and the combat system is balanced because it was designed by players originally, and people complain a lot if it ever gets imbalanced - the item shop is not overpowered because you cannot really buy your way into OPness.

(note: when i joined they had a lot of 200% xp boosts so it was easy for me to get to max level. now the boosts are less frequent so u shud be aware you need to get to level 30 before being effective in warzone pvp. quests alone will get u to about lvl 25 so there is a small bit of grinding involved to get used to you skills. But.. once in warzone you get quite a lot of xp from killing players)
    Last edited by queenvoo; 07-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Hey queenvoo,

Sorry, I checked both of these games and they are just too old for me, I am looking for a more recent game, which would have good graphics. Also looking for a game where you move with WASD and where the movements are quick and not "glitchy" like they are on many games. If you ever played WoW, you'll know what I mean.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Jamroller View Post
    Hey queenvoo,

Sorry, I checked both of these games and they are just too old for me, I am looking for a more recent game, which would have good graphics. Also looking for a game where you move with WASD and where the movements are quick and not "glitchy" like they are on many games. If you ever played WoW, you'll know what I mean.
    hi jamroller

not sure if u want to look at Aika Online? This is like Regnum but with much more updated gfx.. i think it is also WASD movement and it is full RvR pvp. (i preferred RO because i was worried Aika's balance may not be as good).

yup on Regnum the WASD movement is pretty precise so i suspect Aika will be same because they really seem to be similar.

Hey queenvoo,

I actually used to play Aika Online and was looking again into it a couple mins ago, I've played in the open beta two years ago, got a paladin up to level 42 I believe. However now the level cap is like 80 and that game really have a big grind to level up.

I might go back to Aika, however before I do, could someone tell me if it's a "Pay to Win" or if players that doesn't buy coins can still succeed as well as the ones who does? Thanks

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

@Jamroller
    Aion seems to be a perfect match, it's a bit older too but has still very high quality graphics for today (the graphic engine gets updated to go with the time). Also it recently went F2P in which new servers were opened, so if you join in now, you still have a chance to keep up.

Other than that I'd say Guild Wars 2 gets closest, but I guess combat isn't as traditional anymore.

If you want an alternative to WoW with better graphics, I recommend you check out Allods Online. Unfortunately it doesn't have any new servers, though.